Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Looking at CES, can we work out what the current baseline spec should be for a 'hero' phone going forward into 2011?

So far I've got:

Processor: Dual core 1 GHz processor
    Ram: 1 GB RAM
    Internal memory: 16 GB internal memory and microSD card slot
    Screen: 4"
    Camera: 5mp or above?

Any advances on that? Other must-haves?
    Front Facing Cam?
    Dual core on a phone (less than 4.5")?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Dual core on a phone (less than 4.5")?
    Yep - such as this:

MOTOROLA ATRIX 4G – Android 2.2 Smartphone – Wireless from AT&T
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So adding Taharka's suggestion:

Processor: Dual core 1 GHz processor
    Ram: 1 GB RAM
    Internal memory: 16 GB internal memory and microSD card slot
    Screen: 4"
    Camera (1): 5mp or above?
    Camera (2): Front-facing
    Battery: 1500mAh and above
    Thickness and screen brightness specs.
    I do not think that dual core is a requirement. People get hung up on the CPU specs but it is the device speed that matters. There are non-dual core 800 MHz processors are screaming fast. It must be able to re-open a pig like Google Maps in under a second. That's the real user speed test.

Also, I think the display has to be at least 800X480.

Next you left off Auto-focus and Digital Zoom on the camera but in fairness so did Palm. Front camera resolution is still not an issue and will not be for several months.

500 MB of RAM is still great. I have 160 apps and still have 100 MB left out of 500 MB.

Screen size it totally a personal preference. The 17 of the 25 of new phones announced at CES so far have been 4"-4.5" but some like a small display. You have to offer several sizes in your flagship phones.

So I think that a Flagship phone today must have at a minimum:
    • Speed: 1 GHz processor + or equivalent
    • Ram: 500MB to 1 GB
    • Internal memory: 8 GB internal memory is fine if you have an microSD card slot
    • Screen: 3.6" to 4.5"
    • Resolution: 800X480+
    • 4G if it is Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon
    • Camera (rear): 5MP - 12 MP, autofocus, 3X+ digital zoom
    • Camera (front) with Video Chat
    • Voice Dialing
    • Speech to text
    • Voice Actions (voice control)

17 Phones were announced this week that meet these specs for a flagship phone:
    38 New Phones and Tablets Announced So Far In January 2011
    Baseline: More of everything
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Every single smartphone will still be judged against the iPhone...for better or worse.
    One with a flex capacitor that makes time travel possible...
    I don't know...after all of these devices announced at CES the IPhone looks like old news, which makes my Sprint Pre a Fossil I guess...smh I still love this thing
    dual core
    I agree for the most part with all of the comments specified above but I didn't see anyone mention this and I believe that the first phone that has an NFC chip along with the appropriate software/partnerships will kill. See links below if you're not aware of the functionality that an NFC chip can provide.

Samsung Nexus S utilizing NXP's PN544 NFC chip -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    One with a flex capacitor that makes time travel possible...
    i think you meant a flux capacitor....but i'd settle for a bio-molecular destabilizer/(re)stablizer app....(teleporter)
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I do not think that dual core is a requirement. People get hung up on the CPU specs but it is the device speed that matters. There are non-dual core 800 MHz processors are screaming fast. It must be able to re-open a pig like Google Maps in under a second. That's the real user speed test.

Also, I think the display has to be at least 800X480.

Next you left off Auto-focus and Digital Zoom on the camera but in fairness so did Palm. Front camera resolution is still not an issue and will not be for several months.

500 MB of RAM is still great. I have 160 apps and still have 100 MB left out of 500 MB.

Screen size it totally a personal preference. The 17 of the 25 of new phones announced at CES so far have been 4"-4.5" but some like a small display. You have to offer several sizes in your flagship phones.

So I think that a Flagship phone today must have at a minimum:
    Speed: 1 GHz processor + or equivalent
    Ram: 500MB to 1 GB
    Internal memory: 8 GB internal memory is fine if you have an microSD card slot
    Screen: 3.6" to 4.5"
    Resolution: 800X480+
    4G if it is Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon
    Camera (rear): 5MP - 12 MP, autofocus, 3X+ digital zoom
    Camera (front) with Video Chat
    Voice Dialing
    Speech to text
    Voice Actions (voice control)

17 Phones were announced this week that meet these specs for a flagship phone:
    38 New Phones and Tablets Announced So Far In January 2011
    For a FLAGSHIP phone, I think dual-core IS a must now. Consumers have been trained by the PC market to think more cores are more better. They look at processor and battery life separately, so you better have both. Dual-core sounds TWICE as fast when you need it.

And, when half of your schtick is great multitasking, you can't have someone ELSE's advertising talk about the multitasking power of dual cores (or more in a year) when you can't.

I'd argue that you need better resolution than 800X480 at this point. The rest of your specs seem about right. Bump everything up a bit if your OS isn't iOS or Android 2.3+ :P
    I agree with many of these specs for us geeks, but do we really think consumers give a hoot about the number of cores in their "cell phone"?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I agree with many of these specs for us geeks, but do we really think consumers give a hoot about the number of cores in their "cell phone"?
    Yes, because marketing and reps in the carrier stores will tell them its better.
    "I want an iPhone".
    "This is like an iPhone, but more powerful".
    "How is it more powerful? The iPhone seems very powerful."
    "This is dual-core, so it's basically twice as powerful as the single-core iPhone"
    "Can it run ____ and ___"
    "Yep, twice as good"
    "Ok, well I still want an iPhone, but I guess I'll take that."

The new LG phone isn't named the "1Ghz", "1080p", "1500 mAh", or "8MP", it's the "2X". Of all the specs to compare between phones, the simplest one is 2 > 1.
    Don't forget crappy plastic hardware.

All these new phones remind me of dell and hp laptops compared to a macbook
    It might be a bit premature, but I would add hardware acceleration graphic technology to the list.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    That is exactly it.

I don't think that anyone but the nerds care about the specs. People buying phones at the mall today only care what it does. Here is how they use their "phones".

→ Listen to tunes
    → Start an Email.
    → Get a Calendar pop-up
    → Use Barcode Scanner to see that Best Buy has this on sale!
    Shazam a song to see who it is.
    Rip an MP3 of it from YouTube.
    → As you drive, get a text. You use Messaging speech to text to reply.
    → Best Buy tries to charge you full price. You show them their in-store ad online.
    → Get a Facebook note and reply.
    → Say: "Navigate to ___" and it is your GPS
    → Take photos & videos & post on Facebook.
    Bump your number to someone new.
    → Later, go back and finish the email.

They don't care what the specs are or if that is low-end, high-end, front-end, or back-end.

The $129 Cricket Zio does all this with no contract and $45 a month unlimited. The LG Optimus S, T, V, and U do all this and are "Free!"

People only care what it does. What else does a soccer mom want that a "free" Optimus S does not do?

The only thing her phone will never do is ring.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast