Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #21  
    - There are more and more "nerds" and fewer and fewer "soccer moms" these days.
    - They care about specs because CNet, Engadget, Gizmodo, NYTimes, WSJ, and anyone else who reviews these things care and tells them X is better than Y, therefore cooler and therefore worth more money.
    - The nerds lead the pack and it trickles down, and the specs drive the software that gets added to the list of things everyone wants their phone to do.
    - This is a thread about the baseline specs for a high-end smartphone. So, discussing a Zio or the free phones is kind of moot here.
  2. #22  
    Front-facing camera, for sure. Maybe by this time next year it will be two front-facing cameras for full 3-D capture and 3-D screens that don't require glasses. Apparently, HP has done some work in the 3-D space (according to Phil McKinney in the FOX New CES interview)
  3. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #23  
    Can we also make micro-USB a requirement? My house is SO close to that except for my wifes #*$&#*'n iPhone.

    I'd say some sort of way of playing HD files from the device to another screen (DLNA, HDMI, AirPlay) is also pretty standard, even though I don't find it worth the trouble since it's usually already on the computer where I re-encoded to fit on my phone in the first place!
  4. #24  
    personally i would like some kind of standard dock interface for webOS devices so we can have cool docking peripherals or have the touchstone work w/ usb for data transfer for car interfaces and what-nots....

    another idea i had was an adapter/dongle/converter for the idevice connector to use for other devices to take advantage or all the idevice docks and things out there...but its probably covered under some patent or something(just a thought on a sleepless night)
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    - There are more and more "nerds" and fewer and fewer "soccer moms" these days...
    I was talking with the mobile manager at our huge Fry's today. (You could fit 8 Best Buy's in there. Literally. They have a food court.)

    He said that they teach their team to pick out the nerds as they are walking up. He said that you will spend an hour as they want to argue specs and features, never buying. He said the best defense is just to keep saying, "I don't know." Eventually they go off to terrorize the computer components department.

    "Soccer moms buy. Nerds argue."

    I thought we should have that as a slogan for the forums!

    The battle for the 69% left with dumbphones will not be fought at Best Buy, Fry's or Radio Shack. It will be at Piggly Wiggly and 7-Eleven. If they ask what chip they will be told, "This is phones. Chips are next aisle."

    If they go to the place with the best chips when they get their phone, as they check out they will be told, "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!"

    Their chips are in aisle 9. I recommend the Doritos.

    And the chips with cores? Oh! The Buggles are right next to the Doritos!

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/07/2011 at 04:34 PM.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    "Soccer moms buy. Nerds argue."
    So were we given our phones by our mothers?

    While I mostly agree with what you said, it is not entirely accurate. Everyone I know knows that I have an above average knowledge of cell phones. When one of them is looking for a phone or carrier, they ask me. They are still the ones going into the store, but I narrow it down for them.
  7. #27  
    I boy phones and my son has never played soccer!

    Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8. #28  
    A 4" 1GHz DDR memory with a dual core 2GHz processor with a dock for pc/laptop funtionality.
  9. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #29  
    I think it is way too early in the game to be putting dual core as the standard. I only know of 2 devices that have plans for it, and those are running Android, so really can't do justice to the newly acquired power. Granted, it's good that the tech is advancing that far, but it is at its infancy. It's really more of a niche thing at the moment, for the geeks that 'need' it, and the people with deep pockets that want to blow their cash on the top of the line just because they can.

    With where we are right now, 1GHz is more than capable, it's more cost effective, and it has just barely been established as the standard thus far. I see no problem with this being the standard for now.
  10. #30  
    What's "the newly acquired power"?
  11. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #31  
    The other core. You know; 2x the processing power. Twice the amount we aren't making full use of yet. The new technology that isn't even out yet, but is already on everyone's mind as a necessity.
  12. #32  
    Ah, ok.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznai View Post
    The other core. You know; 2x the processing power. Twice the amount we aren't making full use of yet. The new technology that isn't even out yet, but is already on everyone's mind as a necessity.
    So your phone has no hesitations, always-instantly-launching programs, flawlessly smooth scrolling, and the ability to truly perform multiple active, processor-hungry apps at the same time without a hiccup (like simultaneous speech control/transcription, video rendering, and navigation)? What is this amazing <1GHz device?

    1.2 GHz isn't enough for the load software developers are putting on phones already (720p video recording please ... with no tearing or artifacts). The CPU/GPU manufacturers are barely (if actually) keeping up.

    And none of these software capabilities are particularly advanced. We've had voice calling for years. Why not have truly seamless, accurate speech control? We've had video recording for years, so why not have the ability to record at 1/2 the resolution of most TVs sold today? We've had picture phones for a decade, so why not take pictures that fill those big screen TVs with crystal-clear photos? We've had Youtube and Slingplayer for over 5 years now, so why not be able to stream high-quality video? And why not be able to do all these things with no interruption in communications? More power isn't just for power's sake, it means a device that's easier to use because its power is dedicated to a more natural, seamless, user experience that fits in with the rest of a user's lifestyle.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    One with a flex capacitor that makes time travel possible...
    I think you mean "flux" capacitor :-)
  15. kaznai's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So your phone has no hesitations, always-instantly-launching programs, flawlessly smooth scrolling, and the ability to truly perform multiple active, processor-hungry apps at the same time without a hiccup (like simultaneous speech control/transcription, video rendering, and navigation)? What is this amazing <1GHz device?

    1.2 GHz isn't enough for the load software developers are putting on phones already (720p video recording please ... with no tearing or artifacts). The CPU/GPU manufacturers are barely (if actually) keeping up.
    I have the Pre (for now), so you know I have big problems with speed.

    Instantly launching programs can be taken care of by being stored in their current state in the RAM. Using multiple active, resource-demanding apps at once isn't really something I see most people doing very often. I'm not sure the processor is the only limiting factor in running the types of apps you listed simultaneously. I don't often find myself in need of the ability to get directions to my great aunt Martha's while I'm catching up on The Office, while also somehow also voicing an email to the folks back home. Even if I did have multiple sets of eyes, hands, and more than one mouth, the screen, and UI in general, would still make it rather difficult to do so. Of course, feel free to bring that to a more realistic level, as I haven't found myself in a situation where I'm using multiple demanding apps at once.

    Not that I don't multitask, but It's usually one big app at a time. A typical situation would be me letting a YouTube video play some song I've had stuck in my head as I read through my RSS feeds, and switching to texting once in a while when I have to respond to a new message. That's not far from what I expect the average consumer to need. Seems to me that 1.2GHz, even just 1GHz is very capable of handling that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And none of these software capabilities are particularly advanced. We've had voice calling for years. Why not have truly seamless, accurate speech control? We've had video recording for years, so why not have the ability to record at 1/2 the resolution of most TVs sold today? We've had picture phones for a decade, so why not take pictures that fill those big screen TVs with crystal-clear photos? We've had Youtube and Slingplayer for over 5 years now, so why not be able to stream high-quality video? And why not be able to do all these things with no interruption in communications? More power isn't just for power's sake, it means a device that's easier to use because its power is dedicated to a more natural, seamless, user experience that fits in with the rest of a user's lifestyle.
    Agreed, speech control is something that could stand a little improvement. However, it's more than just lag that makes it less than perfect. Speech recognition has a lot of issues that are going to take some serious work. If you are just talking about voice calling, how much processor power could that possibly need? Sorry, I was unclear as to which, exactly, you were referring. So, I covered both things I interpreted from that sentence.

    720p is what they're recording at now, my TV at the moment is 720p; as are most of my friends'. The cameras (still pictures) are getting bigger and bigger, not something limited by processor, as far as I know. Streaming content, however, is definitely something I can get on board with.

    That last sentence really does sum up the device we're all looking for, and it supports your argument well. I can't help but feel targeted by your post, but it's hard to get defensive when I see that you are fighting for the same side in the end.
    Last edited by kaznai; 01/09/2011 at 11:45 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions