Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    No one knows exactly what HP means by this, but I hope they're thinking of things of this nature:

    Comcast plans to offer live and On Demand content for iPad, Android tablets this year | BGR | Boy Genius Report

    A tablet is only as good as the content you can consume on it, and big media companies like Amazon and Comcast are already picking and choosing where to place their loyalties, and so far...only "the Big Two" are being invited.
  2. #2  
    It is really easy to say only the big two are invited when the third or fourth guys haven't entered the room yet.

    That's like saying 3 years ago that Android would never work because developers were supporting the iPhone in force and wouldn't jump elsewhere.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It is really easy to say only the big two are invited when the third or fourth guys haven't entered the room yet.

    That's like saying 3 years ago that Android would never work because developers were supporting the iPhone in force and wouldn't jump elsewhere.
    But Palm did "enter the room" and was summarily rejected. HP is providing another shot, but once features like this become mainstream, it's going to be difficult for consumers to choose a platform - however "elegant" - that doesn't offer this type of content.

    HP is ostensibly making devices that are an extension of each other. The content ecosystems of iOS and, to a somewhat lesser degree, Android are allowing them to offer devices that are an extension of your home, car, TV, computer, security system, exercise routine, kitchen, and so on and so on....

    I hope that's a centerpiece of HP's longterm vision.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But Palm did "enter the room" and was summarily rejected. HP is providing another shot, but once features like this become mainstream, it's going to be difficult for consumers to choose a platform - however "elegant" - that doesn't offer this type of content.

    HP is ostensibly making devices that are an extension of each other. The content ecosystems of iOS and, to a somewhat lesser degree, Android are allowing them to offer devices that are an extension of your home, car, TV, computer, security system, exercise routine, kitchen, and so on and so on....

    I hope that's a centerpiece of HP's longterm vision.
    .... when to Palm enter the tablet room?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  5. #5  
    Actually its more like saying no one would want a Beanie Baby because Barbie had locked up the market.... no... wait.... Its like saying no one would buy hair gel because most use mousse... no, that's not it either....no one would want a chicken sandwich from McDonalds when you've got KFC right down the road...no... um.... ahhh forget it.



    No one has a market sewn up.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually its more like saying no one would want a Beanie Baby because Barbie had locked up the market.... no... wait.... Its like saying no one would buy hair gel because most use mousse... no, that's not it either....no one would want a chicken sandwich from McDonalds when you've got KFC right down the road...no... um.... ahhh forget it.



    No one has a market sewn up.
    Thank You.

    I felt this needed a comment rather than just hitting the thanks button.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Actually its more like saying no one would want a Beanie Baby because Barbie had locked up the market.... no... wait.... Its like saying no one would buy hair gel because most use mousse... no, that's not it either....no one would want a chicken sandwich from McDonalds when you've got KFC right down the road...no... um.... ahhh forget it.



    No one has a market sewn up.
    I wasn't asserting that they did. Merely that I hope that part of their "Think beyond" is thinking about workarounds to get themselves involved with offering this sort of content. I'd be curious to know what services you think or hope they will offer along with the OS and the hardware.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But Palm did "enter the room" and was summarily rejected. HP is providing another shot, but once features like this become mainstream, it's going to be difficult for consumers to choose a platform - however "elegant" - that doesn't offer this type of content.

    HP is ostensibly making devices that are an extension of each other. The content ecosystems of iOS and, to a somewhat lesser degree, Android are allowing them to offer devices that are an extension of your home, car, TV, computer, security system, exercise routine, kitchen, and so on and so on....

    I hope that's a centerpiece of HP's longterm vision.
    My first thought on "Think Beyond" was more about "think beyond the devices themselves". I just have always gotten the impression that HP is looking at this as more than just getting the latest and greatest phone or tablet on the market. It's about getting mobile device interconnectivity and interaction...having phones and printers and tablets (and yes, toasters) as a part of a larger system instead of just making a hodgepodge of standalone tech gear.
  9. #9  
    I know people keep using "webOS toaster" as a joke but I'm curious about something. Is it really smart to expect people to buy products they already have just because of their phone?

    What I mean is this. You buy an iPhone and maybe you get some of the accessories for it. But these accessories are "usually" things that you didn't have already or small items. What I want to known is whether people are willing to buy appliances or office equipment to match their phone. Will people buy a new toaster because their phone uses webOS? Will people buy a new TV because it is "compatible" with their phone?

    Again, just curious about this since we are talking about "beyond".
  10. #10  
    Truly even two years ago Android was a laughable thought. They sold 680,000 phones in all of 2008 up from none in 2007.

    And now Android has blown past a 40% market share in the US.

    When I got my Treo 600, it was Palm who owned the smartphone market.
    Then it was BlackBerry who literally laughed at the new fruit phone...
    Then it was iPhone who could not be toppled...
    And now it is Android who will be king forever...

    Anyone else seeing a trend here?

    The smartphone market dates the next hot babe for a couple years and then dumps her.

    If this were a movie the next babe in line would be first babe's younger sister.

    So if the Treo had a younger sister about to have her débutante ball, who would that be? Think, think, think...

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/05/2011 at 01:47 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I wasn't asserting that they did. Merely that I hope that part of their "Think beyond" is thinking about workarounds to get themselves involved with offering this sort of content. I'd be curious to know what services you think or hope they will offer along with the OS and the hardware.
    No offense to all of the guys asserting over and over that anything can change, but that's not really the point of this thread. Moreso the bolded sentence above.
  12. #12  
    I really hope the "Think Beyond" mantra refers to some type of new cloud syncing. I am hoping it something in the realm of itunes syncing but to the cloud. That is clearly where the tech world is going and i think WebOS has an opportunity to pave the way there. This would fit in their product ecosystem theme that they have been talking about. I think Apple has a huge headstart in that most people built their music libraries around iTunes and already has iTunes on their computers, so it is easy to transfer apps/songs/etc across multiple devices.

    Cloud syncing would be the next evolution of this.
  13. shloime's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    My first thought on "Think Beyond" was more about "think beyond the devices themselves". I just have always gotten the impression that HP is looking at this as more than just getting the latest and greatest phone or tablet on the market. It's about getting mobile device interconnectivity and interaction...having phones and printers and tablets (and yes, toasters) as a part of a larger system instead of just making a hodgepodge of standalone tech gear.
    agreed 101% !!!
  14. Melaza's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    #14  
    Think beyond...

    I think it would have to be something other than a tablet or phone.... We'll find out soon enough

    35 days to go...
  15. #15  
    One thing they need to do is open up access to the profile, if they are going to keep using it. People need to be able to use it on more than on device and they need to be able to access that information online, to make changes, delete contacts and etc.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  16. #16  
    The pragmatic side of me suspects "think beyond" is just some catchy slogan that fits with the theme of their invitation.

    I'm hoping I'm wrong, though. HP needs to differentiate webOS from everything else on the market because whatever competitive advantages their platform had 2 years ago are long since eroded and they are now, in many ways, significantly behind from a feature standpoint. They need to demo features that are only available on webOS if they want to turn heads.
  17. #17  
    I agree here with Mikah912 that I hope HP is looking at attracting services such as comcast/verizon live streaming content. It is these types of services that will attract people to the devices even if one doesn't use them. I never used facebook until I saw it available on the webOS and saw how it integrated with my contacts.

    @taharka I don't think people go out and replace their devices to match their phones but when they decided to replace their devices they do look to see feature. If one of the features is that it works seamlessly with another device say their phone then they will be more likely to purchase that item over a competitors. Furthermore, knowing that a phone can expand its functionality by pairing it with another device is a big selling point. One thing I really admire about the iPhone and iPods are that there are large accessories that you can buy to couple with it, such as desktop speakers with radio, syncing options for car stereo, etc. In fact to Mikah912's question this is what I want to see more of: Expandable functionality.

    I have a question of my own, what can HP do to get developers (big name) interested in making apps for webOS? Is is simply access to API's? Is it up front financial incentives? We all talk about how more apps are really important and then talk about the lack of apps for the slow/no adoption of webOS by the masses. It almost seems like un-winnable cycle but others seem to have figured it out. How do they get devs to believe that they will soon have the critical mass that they need to make the investment to devlope without having the critical mass up front? Im not sure if my question makes sense but I hope someone can make a stab at answering it.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I know people keep using "webOS toaster" as a joke but I'm curious about something. Is it really smart to expect people to buy products they already have just because of their phone?

    What I mean is this. You buy an iPhone and maybe you get some of the accessories for it. But these accessories are "usually" things that you didn't have already or small items. What I want to known is whether people are willing to buy appliances or office equipment to match their phone. Will people buy a new toaster because their phone uses webOS? Will people buy a new TV because it is "compatible" with their phone?

    Again, just curious about this since we are talking about "beyond".
    To a certain extent, yes. I think that people that have an iPhone or an iPad are more inclined to purchase an Apple TV than I am. Coming from the other side, someone with Google TV might want an Android phone to take advantage of the compatible features.

    I don't think that people will buy products simply because it's the same OS as their phone, but if the products offer enough tied in features I think it helps.

    I think it's cool to imagine scenarios with products that mode switcher offers. Imagine, your coffee pot is synced with your webOS alarm so that if it's a weekday or weekend you wake up to a fresh pot of coffee. Or your washer/dryer alerts your phone when it's time to do a switch. Are they reasons to buy, maybe not; but the draw could be there.
  19. #19  
    I think it will be nanotechnology that can transform into 4 modes… as a watch, phone, tablet, and desktop PC. The desktop mode will require that it is plugged into the wall (or on a touchstone). The logo will change depending on the mode, the first 2 will display Palm on the device while the later 2 will display HP. It will also have the ability to print in either tablet or desktop mode, while making toast will be reserved for desktop mode only.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I have a question of my own, what can HP do to get developers (big name) interested in making apps for webOS? Is is simply access to API's? Is it up front financial incentives? We all talk about how more apps are really important and then talk about the lack of apps for the slow/no adoption of webOS by the masses. It almost seems like un-winnable cycle but others seem to have figured it out. How do they get devs to believe that they will soon have the critical mass that they need to make the investment to devlope without having the critical mass up front? Im not sure if my question makes sense but I hope someone can make a stab at answering it.
    In no particular order...
    • Give away some webOS-based devices. Marketshare is marketshare and it doesn't matter if people are using it because it is free. It matters that people are using it.
    • Open up the system. Give developers APIs. Give them deeper access to synergy. Give them mic/audio access. Stop being so protective and let the users decide what they want/don't want by providing "this app requires access to Y" like Android (webOS already does this with GPS access so expand it).
    • Offer no-risk development to the name brands out there. By this I mean, get some contracts in place with some of these developers that guarantee a certain volume of sales and then partner with them to market those apps.
      • If the app sells at least the guarantied amount, HP pays nothing to the developer and makes some profit off the top (30% as it stands today).
      • If the app sells more, both HP and the developer win.
      • If the app sells less, this is the only time HP has to pay the developer.
      In either event, the developer and consumers win. HP only loses if they choose these developers poorly or people just don't buy the devices (and thus don't buy the apps).
    • Attack the darn carriers. Get the devices out there man!
    • Create an eco-system! I hardly saw any interesting accessories for the Pre in the year that used it. Where is the Touchstone designed for a vehicle, simple connectors to other equipment, etc.
    • Buzz about it! Stop with the darn crickets! You are not Apple so don't be Apple (i.e. People don't really know you in this space so stop with the "we got this and we'll let you know when we're ready" crap.) When your marketshare is up and people are clamoring for your products, you can change but for now, "Out of Blog; Out of Mind(share)"


    That's my stab at it. I've mentioned some of this before in other threads.
    Last edited by taharka; 01/05/2011 at 04:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions