Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello Guys

I know this has been done before but I wanted to give a personal perspective.

I owned a Pre the day it came out, I got rid of it for the HTC Hero, then I got the HTC EVO, now have the BB 9650, also used the iPhone 4 for a bit. And I honestly can tell you that each phone brings something to the table, I will try to break down to my best knowledge from personal use.

Pre - very simple to use, great memory management, swype is the best compared to others.

Pre - Lack of apps(Not just games but apps in general)

HTC Hero - Slow, not best phone.

HTC EVO - Great screen, size is excellent, Memory management SUCKS.
    Lots of apps and tons of games.

Constantly coming out with new OS updates for it, but still feels like it is missing something. Needs to have internal flash drive.

iPhone4 - simple to use, but thats about it. Really a DUM DUM phone. For people who have no understanding of phones and how to use them, the combining of apps and auto make folders for that category, wont allow you to make your own. To much of controlled environment, true honest dummy phone.

Blackberry 9650 with new OS 6.0 - Still feels the same as the old OS, not much changed. Still laggy and slow, browser sucks. Just good for business and email, apps cost to much money, games stink. Boots up forever, still freezes. Screen tiny, feels like phone from 5 yrs ago.

Palm Pre ( Current Model ) - Still best in memory management, games and apps still are lacking but with HP help more companies get on board. The current hardware sucks to high havens we all know that. Can and should come out with bigger screen 4.3 is a perfect size.

Hopefully Palm will come out with dual core cpu, and bigger screen. Should come with SD Card slot with 32-64 gig flash drive. No more sliders just slab be good but this is personal feeling.

All of this is just personal opinion, you may agree or disagree.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/05/2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: fixed title
    Sorry if I'm saying bull****, but you are not comparing OS's... are you comparing DEVICES...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3.    #3  
    I am comparing OS, not the hardware.
    iPhone OS is simple to use, design for the dummy in mind. Simplicity is the core of the iPhone OS, that is Apple corner market guess thats why lot of people love it but hate the carrier.
    <<title updated to reflect the post>>
    How's the hardware, memory management, and app library on iOS?
    OS: Web OS, iOS, Android, Symbian, Maemo, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, etc...

Devices: Pre, Evo, Hero, IPhone, N8, N900, HTC HD7, etc...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Op is hilarious.

I still find it ridiculous some people try to downplay the iphone as a phone for dummies.
  8.    #8  
    What is meant by that is that the OS is so simple it was design for dummies, it is nothing bad. I have 9650 BB and it is not easy to use some what of complicated in some areas. With iPhone OS there is no customization needed at all just pull from box and use ( Simplicity )

I think with webOS is design in some what same angle but with features you can customize for yourself.
    OP "Hopefully Palm will come out with dual core cpu, and bigger screen. Should come with SD Card slot with 32-64 gig flash drive. No more sliders just slab be good but this is personal feeling."
    This sounds like a request for Palm and HP to change their Hardware Form factor. But the thread title is "Comparing webOS (Pre) To Other OS's". I agree with others here that the OP is comparing devices not Operating Systems.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  10.    #10  
    That was just wishful thinking on my part, both OS's are simple to use but webOS is more customizable.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    iPhone4 - simple to use, but thats about it. Really a DUM DUM phone. For people who have no understanding of phones and how to use them, the combining of apps and auto make folders for that category, wont allow you to make your own. To much of controlled environment, true honest dummy phone.
    I prefer the Pre/WebOS, but iPhone bashing is excessive...
    Apple managed to create a "simple" device which appeals to the majority(aka dummies) of the market and raked in millions. Brilliant market research maybe ?
  12.    #12  
    Thats exactly what they did, very smart of them.
    Truth be told, my Verizon Pre Plus is the only smartphone that I've ever outright owned, so my perception is possibly a little biased or one-sided, but having messed with more than a couple of friends' devices running iOS, I don't think I could exactly say it was designed for dummies. Simple and easy to use, I can agree with, but I think that's probably what Apple was going for when they designed it. They wanted the average person to be able to pick up and iPhone or iPad or what have you and immediately be able to start effectively utilizing it. This is probably one of the main reasons it has become one of the biggest sources of competition in this arena. That being said though, while I most certainly find the iPhone and Apple products in general rather alluring, I always find myself missing webOS whenever I play with an iPhone. It bothers me greatly that you essentially have to close an app in order to open another one. And the lack of a gesture area always gets me. I am always finding myself trying to swipe or unintentionally closing an app on the iPhone after attempting to tap the gesture area to get to card view. This is all habitual and could probably be reconditioned in the event that I had a phone without webOS, but I'm not sure that's a scenario I really want to see happen.
    This thread just serves to prove my assertion that most people have no idea what an OS is. It also just seems like a thinly veiled excuse for gratuitous iPhone bashing. If you can't beat em' or join em', stand on the sidelines and throw stones.
    Simplicity is just one attribute to the iphone. It helps though that it looks the best, works the best, has the best apps, appealing ecosystem, constant direct updates & support, retains value, and can be easily jailbroken for more advanced users.
  16.    #16  
    Apple hardware is good no one bashing it, the OS is solid and is really designed for simple people, and I give 5 stars to apple for cornering that market, that is the mass of the people who use phone, not like us here who are gadget geeks and love to play and hack at there phones. No one bashing anyone here and I personally know what OS is, Apple just has more control over there's then anyone else. Rim also has tight control over there products.
    I have my Pre. I love it which is why I bought it. It fits MY needs (Synergy, pocketable, keyboard, integration of Facebook/LinkedIn, Yahoo, etc.).

Yet, the writing is on the wall - I'm old. I don't need 3D gaming on a phone. I want a phone that fits in normal pants and feels natural in my hand. I'm so 2003.

Today, we need a phone that will play 3D games against a kid in Russia. We need video-conferencing on our phones. We basically need a Star Trek tricorder with 3D video projection in hi def.

When I first compared the iPhone form factor with Pre, I concluded Pre the hands-down winner except for the gaming/entertainment crowd. Well, I was right and wrong. RIM and Palm are sticking with the working-people's form factor and everyone else has gone gaming/video/entertainment.

Also, let's be real. There is virtually no chance that vendors are going to make an iOS app, an Android app, a Windows 7 app and a Pre app. I'm sure vendors are looking to see if RIM will come up with something and whether MS does something that sticks. Neither of these vendors has an ecosystem and I don't see that happening other than MS. HP's best chance is an emulator or something to allow Android or iOS apps to run. Very risky strategy, but I don't see any other way. There is simply no chance (without some killer app AND stealing the corporate market) for this to work.

As a result, I'm crossing my fingers that an Android phone that is NOT a huge brick comes out at CES. Until then, I'll keep my trusty Pre. I'm getting an Android tablet though.

I say this as a Palm guy owning a Palm III, Palm Vx, Kyocera7135, Treo700p, Centro and Pre.
    Depends on what you use it for I guess. listed below are my opinions, but I could be mistaken.
    In my enterprise wireless/mail setup:

IOS:
    Can search the GAL
    Accepts wireless certificate
    Accept/Decline meeting request
    Can VPN

ANDROID:
    Cannot search the GAL
    Cannot accept 802.1x certificate
    Cannot accept/decline meeting requests
    Can VPN

WEBOS:
    Automatically searches the GAL
    Cert manager accepts wireless certificate when attached to email
    Accepts/Declines meeting requests
    Cannot VPN

none of them support multiple exchange calendars. none of them support full device encryption. none of them can add attendees/participants to meeting requests.
    Blackberry beats them all, I think... in enterprise support.
    I have been reading this and another thread and I think that we may be looking at this from the wrong end. People don't care about the specs. They only care that it can do what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I don't think that anyone but the nerds care about the specs. People buying phones at the mall today only care what it does. Here is how they use their "phones".

→ Listen to tunes
    → Start an Email.
    → Get a Calendar pop-up
    → Use Barcode Scanner to see that Best Buy has this on sale!
    Shazam a song to see who it is.
    Rip an MP3 of it from YouTube.
    → As you drive, get a text. You use Messaging speech to text to reply.
    → Best Buy tries to charge you full price. You show them their in-store ad online.
    → Get a Facebook note and reply.
    → Say: "Navigate to ___" and it is your GPS
    → Take photos & videos & post on Facebook.
    Bump your number to someone new.
    → Later, go back and finish the email.

They don't care what the specs are or if that is low-end, high-end, front-end, or back-end.

The $129 Cricket Zio does all this with no contract and $45 a month unlimited. The LG Optimus S, T, V, and U do all this and are "Free!"

People only care what it does. What else does a soccer mom want that a "free" Optimus S does not do?

The only thing her phone will never do is ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have been reading this and another thread and I think that we may be looking at this from the wrong end. People don't care about the specs. They only care that it can do what they want.
    I agree 100% with those consumer-focused bullet-points. Many of those points do fall under 3rd-party support. As long as HPalm opens up the capabilities of the OS to devs and markets the devices, hopefully the devs show up too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast