Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I guess Palm missed this boat again, or Verizon is really putting all their eggs in the Android devices once again. According to this article:

    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/9703...s-your-bet.htm

    It states: "The maker of the popular Droid X smartphone is reported to launch an Android 3.0 codenamed Honeycomb-based tablet. It is touted to be the first tablet that will run on Verizon's LTE (4G) network. Google's VP of Engineering, Andy Rubin, had flashed a prototype of an Android tablet by Motorola at the D: Dive Into Mobile conference in the first week of December. The flashed tablet from the Motorola house is surmised to be the "Stingray", and was earlier reported by Engadget that it would sport a 10-inch display, will have 16 GB internal memory with hardware which can accommodate Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network speed. The tablet will be powered by a NVIDIA dual core 3D processor and has video chat. "

    Interesting how Palm is no where in this article...
  2.    #2  
    looks like they'll be lots of other Android 4G devices coming in CES also. I guess Palm is walking away with their tails between their legs 'cuz they don't want to announce their "stuff" with other big announcements. Or maybe they realized they should've released 4G devices and scraped everything on their lineup.....

    CES: Verizon to debut 4G Android smartphones - CES 2011 CNET Blogs
  3. #3  
    can't wait for the Android powered coffee maker
  4. shloime's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp2 View Post
    looks like they'll be lots of other Android 4G devices coming in CES also. I guess Palm is walking away with their tails between their legs 'cuz they don't want to announce their "stuff" with other big announcements. Or maybe they realized they should've released 4G devices and scraped everything on their lineup.....

    CES: Verizon to debut 4G Android smartphones - CES 2011 CNET Blogs
    Sure! just like apple ! apple and hp are walking away with their tales between their legs...mmm...lets see at the end of 2011 how things look.huh?
  5. #5  
    Perhaps HP, being the worldwide behemoth that it is, is simply thinking global. Perhaps HP plans to put tablets on numerous carriers besides Verizon. But, in the end, who cares? There is a reason why there are so many different phone makers. There is really very little loyalty in this arena. Apple is the only maker that has true brand loyalty amongst the plurality of its users. Everyone else does not.

    In other words, if HP/Palm come out with a kick a__ tablet that's easier to use than any Android one, has better features, and is a top quality, highly attractive product, do you think they will have any problems selling it? I don't think so.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp2 View Post
    looks like they'll be lots of other Android 4G devices coming in CES also. I guess Palm is walking away with their tails between their legs 'cuz they don't want to announce their "stuff" with other big announcements. Or maybe they realized they should've released 4G devices and scraped everything on their lineup.....

    CES: Verizon to debut 4G Android smartphones - CES 2011 CNET Blogs
    Everybody knows that "4G Android smartphones" really means the HTC Thunderbolt, aka. Evo killer. And then maybe a couple of lesser models to round things out.

    From everything I can gather, it looks like us Sprint users are going to have to wait until summer before we get the big time WebOS slab we've been waiting for. And it's most likely going to be running a Tegra 2 core and have all kinds of insane specs. The rumors make sense -- the Palm Pre was released on June 6, and the HTC Evo was released on June 4 a year later, so I'd expect Sprint's next flagship phone to land again during the first week of June. I do think that HP will release some hardware before that though, and between Feb and March we should see a couple of new devices including the fabled PalmPad. I'd be surprised if we get a Sprint superphone though.

    I love my Pre to bits, but I've been longsuffering enough and I'm too much of a tech geek to hang on to this thing for two full years. My roommate is an accountant and I'm jealous of his Evo, each time I realize that it is superior to my phone in every way despite not having the awesome WebOS UI. I'm about to take an excursion to Android-land after CES, and I'll re-evaluate WebOS later this year when all the cool stuff has landed and (hopefully) HP's ecosystem has stabilized and evolved back into prominence. I do want my next phone to be better than an Evo though, and as of right now that phone doesn't exist on the market. Maybe it will next week.
  7. jwinn35's Avatar
    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #7  
    Ummm with verizon would you have expected anything else then an android tablet being it's first 4G one? I wouldn't be surprised if they change their name to Android Palace and replace all their workers with robot "droids" from their commercials. Sucks cause it's looking like I'm going to have to move over to verizon to get any decent phone I may want (webOS) since who knows what's going on with sprint.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Perhaps HP, being the worldwide behemoth that it is, is simply thinking global. Perhaps HP plans to put tablets on numerous carriers besides Verizon. But, in the end, who cares? There is a reason why there are so many different phone makers. There is really very little loyalty in this arena. Apple is the only maker that has true brand loyalty amongst the plurality of its users. Everyone else does not.

    In other words, if HP/Palm come out with a kick a__ tablet that's easier to use than any Android one, has better features, and is a top quality, highly attractive product, do you think they will have any problems selling it? I don't think so.
    Perhaps this, perhaps that.
    While you're perhapsing 3 android phones and 1 android tablet was just announced...
    While HP was just... ?


    WebOS HAS to be FIRST at SOMETHING.
    We've had this discussion before.

    FIRST can get people's interests.
    FIRST can help rejuvenate. [With the release of the Evo and Epic and Wimax before anyone else had anything comparably as fast, Sprint gained customers for the first time in two years]


    I again will point to the fact that the ONLY, that's ONLY, news that exists are rumors based on pure faith and random best buy paperwork.




    Stop excusing the silence and empty promises.





    And to answer your question:

    Yes, yes I do.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/04/2011 at 12:09 AM.
  9. #9  
    I like how people criticize Verizon for selling devices that customers want. That company must be insane to actually want to move inventory.
  10. #10  
    nice sig matty some great figures lol
    as for why Palm or webOS isn't mentioned in the article....(I'll use Matty's favorite word) PERHAPS it's because it's not about webOS or Palm or HP....maybe it's just about Google and Android...................call me crazy...............

    and for that matter...........with all the animosity around here.........a true joke...............maybe we'd have a lot more fun using it in such things as Battlefield..........or COD.........that's way more fun blowing people up than trying to outwit each other on who has the best pocket protector..............LOL!!!!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Perhaps this, perhaps that.
    While you're perhapsing 3 android phones and 1 android tablet was just announced...
    While HP was just... ?

    WebOS HAS to be FIRST at SOMETHING.
    We've had this discussion before.

    FIRST can get people's interests.
    FIRST can help rejuvenate. [With the release of the Evo and Epic and Wimax before anyone else had anything comparably as fast, Sprint gained customers for the first time in two years]

    I again will point to the fact that the ONLY, that's ONLY, news that exists are rumors based on pure faith and random best buy paperwork.

    Stop excusing the silence and empty promises.

    And to answer your question:

    Yes, yes I do.

    Spoken like someone who truly has no clue just how fickle most customers are when it comes to electronics. One only has to go back a year ago to see all the people on this board who were itching for a new phone just 6 months into their current one, even if they loved it. These days, way too many people have short attention spans and will jump to the best new thing. HP/Palm doesn't have to be first. They just need to produce products people see then want. And they need to make sure everyone knows they have these products.

    That's it. Nothing more.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Spoken like someone who truly has no clue just how fickle most customers are when it comes to electronics. One only has to go back a year ago to see all the people on this board who were itching for a new phone just 6 months into their current one, even if they loved it. These days, way too many people have short attention spans and will jump to the best new thing. HP/Palm doesn't have to be first. They just need to produce products people see then want. And they need to make sure everyone knows they have these products.

    That's it. Nothing more.
    exactly people are blind thinking its the finacially unstable Palm doing this, and not a major global computer seller in the world. Google has to keep oversaturating the market (which will come to a abrubt end very soon) to keep up, and once it does they will wither to the back of the pack and continue to provide us what they really only do best.........search for *hit
  13. #13  
    and palm will be in front right....?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    and palm will be in front right....?
    Who knows? Maybe they will take the world by storm. Maybe they will fall flat on their face. Or maybe they'll place themselves solidly into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th spot. We will see.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    exactly people are blind thinking its the finacially unstable Palm doing this, and not a major global computer seller in the world. Google has to keep oversaturating the market (which will come to a abrubt end very soon) to keep up, and once it does they will wither to the back of the pack and continue to provide us what they really only do best.........search for *hit
    <<deleted to save infractions>>

    It doesn't even make literal sense. If Google "oversaturates" the market, they wouldn't be "keeping up". They'd be exceeding other "undersaturating" competitors by definition.

    And you say it will come to "an abrupt end very soon" when almost every manufacturer at CES is using their OS for multiple products. Essentially, you're saying the entirety of the global electronics industry - save HP, Apple, and...what, Nokia - will "come to "an abrupt end very soon".
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/05/2011 at 02:04 PM.
  16. #16  
    I'm still wondering how one can claim Android is "oversaturating the market" but still claim there is room for webOS to grow. How can both of these be true at the same time?
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    <<deleted to save infractions>>


    It doesn't even make literal sense. If Google "oversaturates" the market, they wouldn't be "keeping up". They'd be exceeding other "undersaturating" competitors by definition.

    And you say it will come to "an abrupt end very soon" when almost every manufacturer at CES is using their OS for multiple products. Essentially, you're saying the entirety of the global electronics industry - save HP, Apple, and...what, Nokia - will "come to "an abrupt end very soon".
    I don't know where this stuff comes from, it makes no sense to me either - As best as I can tell, its seems to stem from a confusion of products and markets. Oversaturation will occur when the MARKET is stuffed, not by expansion of a single product line or product type (in this case the android OS).

    Here in looking glass land, people are suggesting that everyone and their dog adopting android as the OS of choice is a bad thing for android.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/05/2011 at 02:05 PM.

Posting Permissions