Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    41% of new smartphone buyers choose Android
    By Joe Wilcox | Published January 3, 2011, 11:39 AM

41% of new smartphone buyers choose Android | Betanews

"The race for the lead in US. smartphone operating system (OS) consumer market share is tighter than it has ever been," begins a blog post today on Nielsen Wire. The winner is? No one yet. Apple's iPhone leads in total US consumer market share, while most people who recently bought a smartphone chose Android. I'm among them. "This race might still be too close to call," Nielsen asserts.

Perhaps the more important data point is about the broader smartphone category. "In November, 45 percent of recent acquirers chose a smartphone over a feature phone," according to the Nielsen post. That's up from 34 percent in June. Apple and Research in motion are "statistically tied" with respect to US smartphone OS market share -- 28.6 percent and 26.1 percent, respectively. Android's share is 25.8 percent.

However, 40.8 percent of recent acquirers chose a smartphone running Android, compared to 26.9 percent for iOS and 19.2 percent for BlackBerry OS. Perhaps the longer trend is more interesting; Nielsen's data is for the six months from June to November 2010. BlackBerry share as measured by new acquirers, fell about 10 percent in June, when Apple released iPhone 4, and continued to decline thereafter. After a nearly 5 percent surge between June and July, iPhone share was flat through November. By stark contrast, Android share increased during the entire six months, undeterred by iPhone 4.

Apple is hobbled by single-carrier distribution in the United States, while Androids and BlackBerries are available through all major carriers. That said, Android's dramatic surge against iPhone's flat sales raises doubts about how much boost Apple might eventually get from a distribution deal with Verizon, as oft is rumored.

Samsung is one of the beneficiaries of the Android surge. Today, the company revealed that it sold 10 million Galaxy S smartphones since June. In December, Samsung extended the S line to include the Google-branded Nexus S
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    That's because android is the iPhone of 3 years or so ago. Every new smartphone user chooses android just about. If it's not android it's iPhone on att&t or a blackberry, but the majority are going with the "in" thing for now and that's android. Especially since verizon is the biggest company in the US and all they pump are android phones.
    I agree. It's all about the Marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why do people always say that it's about the marketing? Couldn't it be about the product? When people say that it's usually all about not wanting to admit that the product that they like is ineferior in the marketplace.
    who cares if my phone is inferior in the marketplace...my car is inferior in the marketplace...yet i drive it and i like it!

so yea my phone is inferior in the marketplace...i use it and like it!

and its true droid has great marketing
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    That's because android is the iPhone of 3 years or so ago. Every new smartphone user chooses android just about. If it's not android it's iPhone on att&t or a blackberry, but the majority are going with the "in" thing for now and that's android. Especially since verizon is the biggest company in the US and all they pump are android phones.
    +1 The Android market will continue to grow as long as they don't have any serious competition from other Mobile Operating Systems. Most mobile OS are a one trick pony in that they are tied to one manufacture. Android OS is available to any manufacture that wants to install it on their hardware. This gives the smartphone buyer a large selection of phones, carriers and manufactures to choose from.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    People buy more Android phones because it is on every carrier you can think of with the majority of the smart phones on that carrier running android. And people write articles on it like its surprising.
    Because most of them people in that percentage are first time smartphones users, how would they know what's good? them android commercials get drilled into your head, so naturally its what they seek out first when going to purchase. O and I am a evo user now and I think android is very good.

Evo-lution
    Also, I know someone who HAD to upgrade because she had an old feature phone that the carrier was not going to support anymore. She upgraded to an android phone and didnt know how to use it. lol. Im sure this is happening a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    +1 The Android market will continue to grow as long as they don't have any serious competition from other Mobile Operating Systems. Most mobile OS are a one trick pony in that they are tied to one manufacture. Android OS is available to any manufacture that wants to install it on their hardware. This gives the smartphone buyer a large selection of phones, carriers and manufactures to choose from.
    yes android market will continue to grow but IMO not of likes of the way its going now which as you think many manufactures. This is whats causing Android oversaturation, (if people want to believe it or not). To me if I were android I would try and focus on either having certain manufactures develop for certain carriers that are selling well with exceptions (htc for sprint, motorola for VZ samsung of all etc) or try to rev down production from all the manufactuers like having 2 or the max three devices from each manufactuer a year. Android will always be a player, but we will have to see where they fall once WP7 goes on all the carriers, and if Webos takes off. Lets face it Android had no competition for 2010 except the IPHONE which most sales since was on only one carrier were with upgrades for previous iphone AT&T users, or new AT&T users.
    47.3% of statistics are made up on the spot
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    Not really, iphone is a single form factor single OEM device with limited high end price points trading off brand equity. Android comes in multiple form factors across all price points and from multiple brands. Moreover, android is becoming so ubiquitous as an OS, that people are often buying devices with no idea that android is powering them. Different beast entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not really, iphone is a single form factor single OEM device with limited high end price points trading off brand equity. Android comes in multiple form factors across all price points and from multiple brands. Moreover, android is becoming so ubiquitous as an OS, that people are often buying devices with no idea that android is powering them. Different beast entirely.
    exactly my point well said.
    looks like Apple though still holds on the the #1 markets share and BB is still number 2 currently with Android coming in 3rd:

A new month (not to mention a new year) is finally here, meaning that it's time for us to take a peak at the latest smartphone platform market share reports. The first one we have is from Nielsen, who is reporting that at the end of November, Apple was in the lead of the smartphone race. However, RIM and Android, who are basically in a dead heat, were nipping at the heels of iOS. Apple finished November with 28.6 percent of the market, while RIM claimed 26.1 percent and Android snagged 25.8 percent. Google's platform saw the most growth (3.1 percent), although Apple managed to gain some market share, too (0.7 percent). Meanwhile, RIM fell 1.3 percent from the previous month. When it comes to new smartphone purchasers, the standings are a bit different: between June and November 2010, 40.8 percent of new smartphone buyers got an Android phone.

With the deluge of Android devices on the horizon, it's not hard to imagine that the platform will continue its pace. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised to see RIM continue losing market share to iOS and Android unless they can come out with a show-stopping device within the next couple of months. While the mysterious touchscreen/QWERTY-toting BlackBerry Montana/Magnum could be interesting, we don't know much else about it right now. We also have to remember that the Verizon iPhone is likely coming within the next couple of months. It's tough to predict exactly how big of an impact it'll have when it lands, but it'll certainly be interesting to see how the market share reports look after it hits. Any opinions on what kind of changes the VZW iPhone will have on the market?

www.phonedog.net
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What does "Android oversaturation" mean? Do Android smartphones begin precipitating out of solution at this point?
    heres the understanding of what may happen with Android:

His thoughts came as a response to the now-age-old question regarding why Nokia hasn’t adopted Android with his argument essentially being that the market is over-saturated as it is and that manufacturers would be stinting growth in the long run since it’ll be hard for consumers to find meaningful differences from one piece of hardware to another. That would be a sensible conclusion, but I’m guessing HTC’s, Motorola’s, and Samsung’s amazing performance since going all out with Android isn’t being counted here.

Nokia: Going the Android Route is like Peeing in your Pants for Warmth | SmartPhoneUp.com: smart phone pda insider
    and then look at what CGK stated as what people are doing now in regards to buying new phones. Most people dont know much about android past the commercials they see around the clock. Then when people go into the store and ask about a new device reps only have Android currently as new devices. Though when a sales rep shows someone who knows nothing about android, they show them 4 or 5 different essentially the same device. Since there are no other devices from other manufactures (atleast not yet) they have nothing to compare the devices to, but each other. Essentially picking between form factors or screen size of the same OS. Now when other companys start releasing new devices and someone goes into a store and knows nothing really about all these different OS's and asked for what new devices you have. They are shown 4 to 5 android devices, but now maybe 3 or 4 other devices that all run different OS's. The idea is with all these feature phone consumers converting over, or people waiting for other options they will be overwhelmed with the options of Android devices, and most likely will pick a device with less options to choose from. thats the idea of it, though I def dont think it will hender Android that much, but it will play a factor once other companys release new hardware this year IMO.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What does "Android oversaturation" mean? Do Android smartphones begin precipitating out of solution at this point?

It's some nonsense term that some people on here throw into every conversation like it actually means something. It doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's some nonsense term that some people on here throw into every conversation like it actually means something. It doesn't.
    its far from nonsense do your research homie, listen to what anaylist say. Not just in regards to Android, because oversaturation happens in the market every day, with thousands of different products. Google is not the first, and wont be the last.
    Regarding Android's popularity at Sprint, I have spent a lot of time in the past couple months at both corporate and non-corp stores (with and without tech centers) as well as at BB and Radio Shack.

Some observations:

According to the regional Sprint rep I met who services both the area Best Buys and the non-corporate stores "Android saved us. The EVO gets a lot of people in and even if they don't buy an EVO, they walk out with an Android." According to her, this is the best phone selling season they have had in years in our region.

At the corporate Sprint store, the big mover is again the EVO. EVO outselling EPIC 10-1 at their store according to tech guy. By my own obersvation on several different occasions, the only non-Android phones the store were "selling" were the freebies. Could overhear time and time again, no matter what phone was being looked at, "Is this an android?" If not, they moved on to something that was.

At BB (according to the salespeople I chatted with) the only Sprint phones they were selling were the EVO (our store was having hard time keeping it in stock) and the Xmas-special free Optimus. Radio shack guy that I bought my Evo from said only thing he sells (and looks like the only think he knew about) were Android phones.

Split among the Sprint employees as to what phone they like best/use EPIC or EVO. Pretty even it seems. All the tech people I talked with, btw, all are big fans of WebOS, think it is basically better than Android but dissapointed they didnt have phones like EVO/Epic that used it or the type and number of apps that Android has. One salesperson told me, if it doesnt have a Shazam app or something like it, forget a kid getting it.

The Sprint stores here, as you might expect, really promote Android and the Evo especially. The corp store even has 3 live Evos out for people to play with (vrs one Epic). Big signs with things like "powered by android" on the wall where the "smartphones" all were. the other wall had the free phones, a pixi, a BB curve and some Windows thing. All of them pretty much relegated to the "unpopular kids" part of the lunch room.

Now this is just Sprint and a limited sample at that, but it does not surprise me at all that Android is doing so well given how saw it being pushed and promoted. Doesnt make it logical or "right" but Android has taken the market in a very similar way to MS-DOS back in the day. There may very well be better things out there, but they were in the right place at the right time with the right feature set and marketing.
    It seems to me that Android and the EVO is to Sprint, what webOS and the Pre was supposed to be. Sprint was in desperate need of a hero device. Palm was absolutely in the right place at the right time. They just didn't deliver; Android did. It will be a long time before any carrier views a Palm phone as a hero device again.
    Why do people always say that it's about the marketing? Couldn't it be about the product? When people say that it's usually all about not wanting to admit that the product that they like is ineferior in the marketplace.
    In this case it's partially true though, IMO. See my numerous posts on why Palm fails so badly at getting it's phones across to mainstream that they're still a niche product. Android manufacturers clearly do not have this problem.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast