Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Sitting there with a d-pad to navigate is no longer the standard for a few reasons.
    Are you going to elaborate on those reasons or leave me hanging?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Are you going to elaborate on those reasons or leave me hanging?
    I won't elaborate in them all, no. However one of the top reasons is that they are not good for navigating the many options and data that we have on today's phones. If you only have a few options or a few records to navigate (like you tend to have on feature phones) it's no problem. Having multiple home screens, hundreds of data records, full websites, etc. do not lend themselves well to d-pad navigation. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it is far from efficient. It's like navigating in a browser with only the TAB and arrow keys. It's doable in a bind but nowhere near as efficient as a mouse. It's sequential vs direct access all over again.
    So, I guess I shouldn't try navigating my PC with just a keyboard then, because that couldn't be nearly as fast or efficient as using a mouse. I have hundreds of programs installed, so there's no way I could possibly drill down to one particular program in a hurry. The best way must be to have a screen that displays all of them at once, visually find the one I want among all the clutter, and poke it, right?

Sometimes sequential access makes things more organized and easier to find. And when it comes to one-handed use or being able to navigate without looking at the screen--the real issues here--touchscreens simply can't compete.

I think perhaps most of you entered the smartphone market with a touchscreen phone as your first smartphone and simply do not realize what you are missing with the good old d-pad. Having a d-pad on the phone makes it usable in many more situations than it is with a touchscreen alone. And yes, you can have both. All touchscreen WinMo devices had both, prior to WM6.5.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    So, I guess I shouldn't try navigating my PC with just a keyboard then, because that couldn't be nearly as fast or efficient as using a mouse. I have hundreds of programs installed, so there's no way I could possibly drill down to one particular program in a hurry. The best way must be to have a screen that displays all of them at once, visually find the one I want among all the clutter, and poke it, right?

Sometimes sequential access makes things more organized and easier to find. And when it comes to one-handed use or being able to navigate without looking at the screen--the real issues here--touchscreens simply can't compete.

I think perhaps most of you entered the smartphone market with a touchscreen phone as your first smartphone and simply do not realize what you are missing with the good old d-pad. Having a d-pad on the phone makes it usable in many more situations than it is with a touchscreen alone. And yes, you can have both. All touchscreen WinMo devices had both, prior to WM6.5.
    I've used both (Moto Q, Pre, Samsung Epic, Centro), but your example is with a non-touch optimized OS like Windows Mobile or PalmOS. That's why they almost all had stylii to help you select items when you didn't want to navigate one item/link at a time with the D-pad.

Modern touch-optimized OSes have little need for such a thing. In lists, you type one letter, and it already starts bringing up results (e.g. phone dialer, contacts, email pulling from Google contacts, etc.). You can launch apps on WebOS and Android this way as well. Web browsing doesn't benefit from this, nor does media playing or photo browsing. So what essential smartphone apps would be greatly enhanced by inclusion of a D-pad?
    Wow. Touchy. If you read my post you'd see that I stated the dpad navigation works just not as well (anymore). And no, some of us have had smartphones from back when they were just becoming smart and PDAs before them. Also, navigating a PC with just a keyboard is not the same as navigating a PC with just the TAB, ENTER and Arrow keys.

Bottom line is simple. Technology advances. Needs change. Then technology advances more to keep up. You are wwelcome to keep your dpad enabled device my friend, but the world will continue to move on. Good luck to you with your private revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not really, iphone is a single form factor single OEM device with limited high end price points trading off brand equity. Android comes in multiple form factors across all price points and from multiple brands. Moreover, android is becoming so ubiquitous as an OS, that people are often buying devices with no idea that android is powering them. Different beast entirely.
    exactly
    This space reserved for "I told you so" post.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    This space reserved for "I told you so" post.
    This space contains the held breath of those refusing to move on.
    This space contains the held breath of those refusing to move on.
    Whatever. I've got my Pixi now, and I am already fairly certain my next phone will run WP7 (or 8 or 9). I've already "moved on." But in the process, I have had to give up functionality and efficiency.

Eventually the gadget-gasm will end, and there will be a push to return to more functionality and efficiency, as opposed to what we have in the marketplace right now, which is glitz, glamor and gadgetry. If the response to the Echo is any indicator, the novelty of owning a smartphone is finally beginning to wear off. People aren't impressed by the dual screens because it's clearly nothing more than a gimmick with limited usability and many pitfalls.

As that type of attitude grows, the boring old d-pad will make its return. The Motorola Charm already attempts to address the issue of one-handed use with a touchpad on the back of the device, so clearly I'm not the only one thinking about it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The Echo will likely be a failure because it is a pile of crap. It has nothing to do with bringing back a useless piece of tech. The d-pad is dead (except for games and certain niche uses). Get over it.
    That 41% will change drastically over the next 6 months . And I'm betting it will go down !

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    The d-pad is dead (except for games and certain niche uses). Get over it.
    Ah, yet another use for the d-pad to make a comeback, games. Come to think of it, I do miss playing NES Punch Out! on my Q. Hardly a niche gaming phone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    In other news...

HTC Salsa and Chacha bring the dedicated Facebook button to Android -- Engadget

That Cha Cha sure looks nice, despite the name failing even harder than "Veer." Oh and hey, directional arrows. Ahem.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    In other news...

HTC Salsa and Chacha bring the dedicated Facebook button to Android -- Engadget

That Cha Cha sure looks nice, despite the name failing even harder than "Veer." Oh and hey, directional arrows. Ahem.
    These are for single people that have no dance partners!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    HA!

I really like the looks of that Chacha. Too bad it's going to the worst carrier (AT&T).
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The dedicated Facebook thing totally turns me off.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Really? I don't know. It is kind of gimmicky, but FB is my most-used app, so it might be neat to have. Lights up when there are new notifications. But I mostly just like the form factor and the directional arrows.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456