Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    <thread merged>
    Yes Squeezy.

And Google's plot to be everywhere was successful, whether you like that method or not. Being available on multiple carriers so people don't actually have to break contracts and move; and also multiple manufacturers can do that. However as iPhone goes multi-carrier, then the real battle between the 2 begins. Some analysts predict Android sales will fall a lot on Verizon. I'm not so sure though, since they have competitive hardware and features right now. Maybe when the true 4G iPhone hits.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree, like it or hate it Android has become the top OS in smartphones. My grandparents and my wifes parents who would never touch a smartphone ( they have Verizon and would never want a iphone) just got Android phones. I am simply amazed on how well there stategy did.

. I look forward to seeing who wins. I just wish the Iphone was on Sprint so I atleast had that option. I have tried Blackberry , webos and Windows mobile phones and while I thought WM had potential I did not really like any of them as much as I have liked Android. I Want to try the Iphone for a few months. hard to give an opinion without having used a OS for a while.

and now that Iphone is on Verizon the true battle begins between IOS and Android, Should be fun to see them battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Congrats to Android, it's +/- 30 phones finally outsold 1 phone.
    There are actually 71 current models in the Google Phone Gallery. And 38 of 43 announcements at CES were Android. Plus pdadb.net has specs on another 27.

In November, Android had 300,000 new activations a day up from 160,000 a day in June. That was 109 million a year. Out of 1.2 billion phones a year, Android had an 8% marketshare. If Android tops out at 20%, that's 240 million Androids in 2011. I bet iPhone hits 80 million units.

Off-contract Androids like the Cricket Zio have dropped from $300 to $129 in a year. Some say the real cost of these is around $18.

Dell, HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung, and Sony each want to cover AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Verizon, and ROW (rest of world). Eventually each OEM will have a sub-compact (<3.2"), compact (3.6"), mid (4"), large (4.3"), and tablet for each.

So that's 6 main OEM's x 7 carriers x 5 segments = 210 Android models. That's about right, a million units of each model.

If Vizio does to smartphones what they did to LCD TV's, these numbers will go higher.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/13/2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Is that really a surprise with ATT's stranglehold on the eye-phone and the shear scale of android devices?

Like saying symbian was the best dumbphone OS. Well duh, its pretty much the de-facto mobile OS before the "smart-phone" hoop-la. Android is just now the defacto smart phone OS.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    I love my pre form factor. Slide out keyboard still a bit of an annoyance, but I can fit the thing in my pocket. Is the world going to an iPhone form factor to watch full length movies on a phone?

I hope tablets allow phones to go back to being phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I love my pre form factor. Slide out keyboard still a bit of an annoyance, but I can fit the thing in my pocket. Is the world going to an iPhone form factor to watch full length movies on a phone?

I don't think that will every happen. Even basic, cheap flip phones allow for web surfing, email and texting, though in limited capacity.

Sent from my eVo, via Llazy Llama Llinguistics™
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Y

Unless you have infant size pockets all phones are designed to fit in your pockets. You need to get over the bigger phone sizes because this is the future and people with smart phones are using them as mini computers. I use my phone more than my computer so the bigger screen size is a plus.

Sfm Evo
  9. AZ8
    Is it me or are android phones too damn big? I love my pre form factor. Slide out keyboard still a bit of an annoyance, but I can fit the thing in my pocket. Is the world going to an iPhone form factor to watch full length movies on a phone?

No.

I think alot of people have jumped on the "Android phones are soooooo big" bandwagon without even touching one.

Before I purchased my Droid X, everyone at work told me that those phones are waaaayyyy to big. Why would you want to carry around a TV? Im glad I didn't listen to them.

Now they can't stop admiring my Droid X. "Wow, thats beautiful" or "Ya know, its not that big. Fits great in my hand"....etc. In the past 3 weeks, 4 coworkers have since purchased the Droid X.

Folks, they're not THAT big. Really. Time to let go of these misconceptions associated with the 4" and 4.3" slabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    No.

I think alot of people have jumped on the "Android phones are soooooo big" bandwagon without even touching one.

Before I purchased my Droid X, everyone at work told me that those phones are waaaayyyy to big. Why would you want to carry around a TV? Im glad I didn't listen to them.

Now they can't stop admiring my Droid X. "Wow, thats beautiful" or "Ya know, its not that big. Fits great in my hand"....etc. In the past 3 weeks, 4 coworkers have since purchased the Droid X.

Folks, they're not THAT big. Really. Time to let go of these misconceptions associated with the 4" and 4.3" slabs.
    I agree with everything you said in this post and have experienced the same with the EVO.

On a side note, this post has a very high concentration of "that's what she said" worthy statements.
    The market does allow for variety--no need to get into a "my phone form-factor is better than yours" contest.

Personally, I like the smaller phones, which is why I have a Pixi. And you know what, I still say touchscreens are a fad that will eventually fade. Not that they will ever go away, but eventually people are going to get tired of always having to look at the screen to see what they are doing and non-touchscreen smartphones will make a comeback. And when they do, I will be there to buy them.

I do so miss my Motorola Q. I could do anything with that device one-handed, without having to look to see what I was doing. It was intended to be used that way, what with the scroll wheel on the side. So I will not miss touchscreens. At all. Stylus, finger... I don't care. I don't want it. I'm using one now and I still don't want it. Die, fad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The market does allow for variety--no need to get into a "my phone form-factor is better than yours" contest.

Personally, I like the smaller phones, which is why I have a Pixi. And you know what, I still say touchscreens are a fad that will eventually fade. Not that they will ever go away, but eventually people are going to get tired of always having to look at the screen to see what they are doing and non-touchscreen smartphones will make a comeback. And when they do, I will be there to buy them. I still don't want it. Die, fad!
    They never left its called a blackberry.
    You should look at the screen no matter what phone you have IMO. Otherwise you may be sending crazy texts and emails, and callling wrong numbers. Unless you're using a voice command program that reads your voice accurately and will send for you. Some people can memorize the keypad layout, but still I feel better making sure the number entered is the intended one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    personally ( and I had a EVO for 4 months) I think its just a preference of if you want a large phone or a small one (so no need to bash each other). Android has small phones too, and to me phones like the EVO shift are perfect size phones. To me though IMO a phone shouldnt exceed 3.7 inches, anything bigger you defeat the purpose of a mobile device. My pre plus size is fine for me, though a bit bigger screen like stated above would be fine. When I had the Evo even though I had more realestate i couldnt use it to work out with it (I do alot of plyometrics, along with isometric weight lifting which requires alot of movement) too bulky to keep on my hip, and would bump up against equipment (which I def didnt want to break the screen), I used it for my music while I did. It was hard to keep concieled at work etc. Just my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes Squeezy.

And Google's plot to be everywhere was successful, whether you like that method or not. Being available on multiple carriers so people don't actually have to break contracts and move; and also multiple manufacturers can do that. However as iPhone goes multi-carrier, then the real battle between the 2 begins. Some analysts predict Android sales will fall a lot on Verizon. I'm not so sure though, since they have competitive hardware and features right now. Maybe when the true 4G iPhone hits.
    yeah I dont think he meant it as a opinion, and what he stated is a fact. To me there was nothing mind boggling about android out selling the iphone. It was going to happen as long as the Iphone was only on one carrier and android on many. To me the surprise is how much more the iphone still sold in 2010, and that it took this long for android to out sell the iphone. Also yes the iphone will def def hender android sells, and since 2010 was the year for android, with not alot of choices to choose from on any carrier (new) until the Q3 with the iphone, I will expect sales to be even more hendered if HP comes out the gates with something competitive, and once WP7 launches on sprint and Verizon.
    Well LTE is appearing on Androids first, so anyone looking at cutting edge has to get Android for now. Apple could have blown everyone away with an LTE iPhone for Verizon, that would stem Android sells on that carrier. Although now it looks like carriers are going to start charging more for 4G so maybe Apple did the right thing. It would be better to not try to convince people to pay even more, especially on Verizon. But just move from an existing smartphone plan. Or finally get more feature phone users aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    They never left its called a blackberry.
    BB is the worst of all. With the trackball of the BB, you still have to look at the screen while you are navigating to keep track of where the highlighted field is traveling. And even though you're already having to look at the screen, you don't have the option of just poking the icon you want with your finger.

With a conventional directional pad, all you have to know is where the icon is in relation to where you are now, which is something that you can't help but memorize with usage. For example, with my Motorola Q, I could unlock the phone (left softkey, asterisk) and navigate to my inbox (down arrow three times, OK) all by touch, without ever having to look at the screen. We need to get back to that simplicity. Right now the smartphone market is in the middle of a gadget-gasm, but once that's over it's time to get back to basics. K.I.S.S.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    For example, with my Motorola Q, I could unlock the phone (left softkey, asterisk) and navigate to my inbox (down arrow three times, OK) all by touch, without ever having to look at the screen.
    And then what do you do once you're in your inbox? I'm going to guess that you...uhm..."look at the screen."
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    And then what do you do once you're in your inbox? I'm going to guess that you...uhm..."look at the screen."
    Yes, but the less I have to look at the screen, the more free I am to do other things. And that's not the only benefit. I bet I could unlock and navigate to my inbox faster on my Q than I could with a WebOS device or any other touchscreen device. The foundation of the smartphone pyramid is functionality, followed by efficiency.

Mark my words, smartphones will come full circle and will return to the good old d-pad methodology eventually. I'll be saying "I told you so" sooner or later. The sooner the better, IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Not gonna happen. Being able to navigate to an app without looking is not the same as being efficient. Sitting there with a d-pad to navigate is no longer the standard for a few reasons. It's not coming back as a mainstream item anytime soon.

By the way, navigating to my inbox is a single swipe from the left side of my device.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast