Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    in other news, over 80% of people use windows xp, windows vista, or windows 7 in various computers, from samsung to dell to hp to acer to toshiba to gateway....
    All I have to say is when I owned a Pre I could never get anyone interested in buying one. My friends, family and co workers thought the cards multitasking was a nice parlor trick but they weren't bitting...the touchstone was a big yawn. Since I got my EVO on launch day it sells it self just by looking at that big beautiful screen and watching it in action. Now everyone I know is buying an Android device and I don't even have to play salesman. I went back to my home town NYC and on 42nd bway and I saw a huge animated building size Android.
  3. AZ8
    As a first time smartphone buyer, I was waiting to see what HP had to offer. Unfortunately...."in the coming months" turned out to be forever.

My first smartphone purchase was the Droid X. All I can say is you guys don't know what you're missing. The Droid X is one bad azzzz phone. I was concerned about android, soley based on the threads in this forum. I can say without a doubt, android is an amazing OS. I picked it up within a week, and now cruising and enjoying this amazing phone.

I've moved on to other Droid forums, but check in here from time to time. Folks....its a big world out there with tons of awesome gadgets. Go out and enjoy them. Its ok to cut the cord and explore. Don't be so loyal that it clouds your ability to be subjective.

I gave HP/Palm a chance. I parlayed HP's "In the coming months", into a brand spanking new Droid X!! I couldn't be happier!

Happy Trails
    Android phones are popular because they are more or less front and center at every carrier store except AT&T.

And I don't think people's having a clue gets them to choose an Android phone, but rather people's cluelessness that gets them to walk out with one. What else are they going to buy? What else are they even shown? What is easy to find? Android, Android, Android!

Also, if Google is whoring out their OS for free to phone manufacturers they can contribute less time to developing OS'es for their devices.. this is why Samsung and the like pretty much just have to concentrate on hardware. Android OS cuts development time in half.
    Like I said before, Web OS is great but they need a device to compete with the Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    Like I said before, Web OS is great but they need a device to compete with the Evo.
    Chicken and egg thing but need both the device and the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    As a first time smartphone buyer, I was waiting to see what HP had to offer. Unfortunately...."in the coming months" turned out to be forever.

My first smartphone purchase was the Droid X. All I can say is you guys don't know what you're missing. The Droid X is one bad azzzz phone. I was concerned about android, soley based on the threads in this forum. I can say without a doubt, android is an amazing OS. I picked it up within a week, and now cruising and enjoying this amazing phone.

I've moved on to other Droid forums, but check in here from time to time. Folks....its a big world out there with tons of awesome gadgets. Go out and enjoy them. Its ok to cut the cord and explore. Don't be so loyal that it clouds your ability to be subjective.

I gave HP/Palm a chance. I parlayed HP's "In the coming months", into a brand spanking new Droid X!! I couldn't be happier!

Happy Trails
    +1000

Exactly that same thing in my case.
    Tried the Evo, may never come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post

Happy Trails

very well put, and a very well respected comment the only one Ive seen on here regarding switching OS's, im glad that your purchase is working for you. Your of course always welcome on this forum regardless of what OS you use. I myself had the EVO wasent for me, and if I leave before a new Webos device it most likely will be for the Pro 7.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why do people always say that it's about the marketing? Couldn't it be about the product? When people say that it's usually all about not wanting to admit that the product that they like is ineferior in the marketplace.
    Well, look how Palm "marketed" the Pre........ or shall we say "effed it up" big time. WebOS is a great product but with the hardware issues it by now has lost momentum and the App marketplace will dictate whom is winning. Android it is.... It comes in many shapes, forms, prices. I want to be able to price compare (barcode pics), voip, bank, etc. WebOS has missed that boat it seems.

@ this moment the Pre takes care of basic needs for me, my wants...? that's another story. When this phone gives up the ghost and better options are out there on Sprint (price wise the best deal for me) I then move on to what works for me, that could be WebOS or Android. iOS is a closed eco system and not for me.

All in all the phones on every OS will get better smarter, more intuitive over time. The company that continues to get in front of the consumer/business community with the most compelling combination (story) will be the number 1, but in this case it's not the end of the world to come in 2nd. When you are #5 you are screwed however...........
    When the iPhone is available on Verizon, I wonder how it will affect those numbers?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    When the iPhone is available on Verizon, I wonder how it will affect those numbers?
    lol right
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    It will have some affect, but Android's on too many carriers at too many price points and in too many form factors for a Verizon iPhone to steal the entire platform's momentum.

Just look at AT&T where the Samsung Captivate is the top-rated non-iPhone smartphone and retains its launch-day $199 price, indicating solid sales. By contrast, they just chopped the prices of their WP7 phones in half in less than...what...two months?

Android flourishes in Europe where iPhones are readily available. It will continue to here in America regardless of who has the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It will have some affect, but Android's on too many carriers at too many price points and in too many form factors for a Verizon iPhone to steal the entire platform's momentum.

Just look at AT&T where the Samsung Captivate is the top-rated non-iPhone smartphone and retains its launch-day $199 price, indicating solid sales. By contrast, they just chopped the prices of their WP7 phones in half in less than...what...two months?

Android flourishes in Europe where iPhones are readily available. It will continue to here in America regardless of who has the iPhone.
    though no it wont destroy Google Android it will continue to hender their sales:

"Verizon’s volumes grew from 2.7 million in Q1 to 3.3 million in Q3," the site reports. "Not a bad story in itself. However, the iPhone at AT&T went from 2.7 million to 5.7 million in the same time frame. Relative to just the iPhone, Verizon has been underperforming over the last quarter."

Strike three, the site states, is that Android is simply not competitive with Apple's iPhone. "In an apples-to-apples comparison," the report states, "in Q3 the iPhone at AT&T outsold Android at Verizon (remember, same addressable market) by a factor of 2.5. This is with a variety of devices and vendors thrown in the market. We hardly ever get to see this finely grained a comparison when looking at platforms."

AppleInsider | Android's weak sales drive Verizon toward Apple's iPhone

every graph like the one above states the obvious, and the more Apple decides to go to other carriers the more sales it will take from android, hence the fact that most androids are sold because consumers on those paticular carrier has no other options (atleast in 2010) but android. It will be a different story this year, if HP captializes with webos, the iphone on Verizon, and when WP7 makes it to Verizon, and Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    very well put, and a very well respected comment the only one Ive seen on here regarding switching OS's, im glad that your purchase is working for you. Your of course always welcome on this forum regardless of what OS you use. I myself had the EVO wasent for me, and if I leave before a new Webos device it most likely will be for the Pro 7.
    Just a little detail about "switching"... it's first smartphone is a Droid X, so he is not "switching" from webOS...
    Newness Developments apps:

every graph like the one above states the obvious, and the more Apple decides to go to other carriers the more sales it will take from android, hence the fact that most androids are sold because consumers on those paticular carrier has no other options (atleast in 2010) but android. It will be a different story this year, if HP captializes with webos, the iphone on Verizon, and when WP7 makes it to Verizon, and Sprint.
    I love seeing that article cited without context. AT&T is a FAR more smartphone-oriented network than Verizon. To put it in perspective, the amount of non-iPhone smartphones sold that same quarter on AT&T is almost equivalent to the entire lineup of smartphones sold on Verizon.

Again, Android is doing fine abroad where it gets competition from every platform including Apple/iOS. The iPhone being on AT&T is not crippling the Captivate. It's not crippling HTC's Desire HD or the millions and millions of Galaxy S devices sold worldwide on carriers that have iPhone 4.

But WP7 hasn't been a factor against Android or Apple on AT&T. It's not going to be on T-Mobile since they're all-in on the MyTouch brand. I highly doubt it will be on Sprint given the strength of the Evo brand. Same goes for Verizon/Droid.

If you think Verizon is hurting with Android, then why are they doubling down with a suite of Android LTE devices to be announced in a few days? And this is with the almost certainty of the iPhone arriving on Verizon this Spring....
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Just a little detail about "switching"... it's first smartphone is a Droid X, so he is not "switching" from webOS...
    oh ok thanks for clearing that up.
    I love seeing that article cited without context. AT&T is a FAR more smartphone-oriented network than Verizon. To put it in perspective, the amount of non-iPhone smartphones sold that same quarter on AT&T is almost equivalent to the entire lineup of smartphones sold on Verizon.

Again, Android is doing fine abroad where it gets competition from every platform including Apple/iOS. The iPhone being on AT&T is not crippling the Captivate. It's not crippling HTC's Desire HD or the millions and millions of Galaxy S devices sold worldwide on carriers that have iPhone 4.

But WP7 hasn't been a factor against Android or Apple on AT&T. It's not going to be on T-Mobile since they're all-in on the MyTouch brand. I highly doubt it will be on Sprint given the strength of the Evo brand. Same goes for Verizon/Droid.

If you think Verizon is hurting with Android, then why are they doubling down with a suite of Android LTE devices to be announced in a few days? And this is with the almost certainty of the iPhone arriving on Verizon this Spring....
    well the htc pro 7 was already announced with Sprint and HTC yesterday already: Sprint Announced HTC Pro 7 - Mobile News

and until the Iphone is announced and released on Verizon, they only have android to work with at the moment thats a no brainer. Android is still bringing in money for Verizon right now, and prob for the 1st Q. Believe me though once the second half comes, and they have more devices from different OS's you will see a big shift in what Verizon is focusing on. Even with the devices sold on AT&T is nothing at all compared to the sales of the iphone 4, and its only logical to see why Verizon is tryin to get the iphone over to them, with AT&T all but catching Verizon who is Androids main carrier at this point. So again once the iphone launches on Verizon, android sells will be hendered.
    and until the Iphone is announced and released on Verizon, they only have android to work with at the moment thats a no brainer. Android is still bringing in money for Verizon right now, and prob for the 1st Q. Believe me though once the second half comes, and they have more devices from different OS's you will see a big shift in what Verizon is focusing on.
    You don't think their focus will be on LTE devices much like Sprint is aggressively pushing 4G? I'm pretty sure that's what they're focusing on at CES. Generally, what a company makes their focus for at CES tends to stay their focus for the rest of the year. Of course when they get iPhone they will sell plenty. And I can assure you a good amount of those sales will be from AT&T people switching in densely populated metro areas who are tired of dropped calls. Regardless, Verizon has invested a lot into their LTE network. They are not going to let the HTC Thunderbolt and the rest wither on the vine, and they commissioned these devices with full knowledge on when they would be getting the iPhone and whether it would be LTE or not. That's a serious vote of confidence in Android. I'm sure ATT will also be quite anxious to get higher end Android devices to take up some of the slack when iPhone exclusivity ends.

Even with the devices sold on AT&T is nothing at all compared to the sales of the iphone 4, and its only logical to see why Verizon is tryin to get the iphone over to them, with AT&T all but catching Verizon who is Androids main carrier at this point. So again once the iphone launches on Verizon, android sells will be hendered.
    Verizon's Android sales will drop, true. The platform itself will continue to flourish on every carrier - Verizon included - and across the globe.
    You don't think their focus will be on LTE devices much like Sprint is aggressively pushing 4G? I'm pretty sure that's what they're focusing on at CES. Generally, what a company makes their focus for at CES tends to stay their focus for the rest of the year. Of course when they get iPhone they will sell plenty. And I can assure you a good amount of those sales will be from AT&T people switching in densely populated metro areas who are tired of dropped calls. Regardless, Verizon has invested a lot into their LTE network. They are not going to let the HTC Thunderbolt and the rest wither on the vine, and they commissioned these devices with full knowledge on when they would be getting the iPhone and whether it would be LTE or not. That's a serious vote of confidence in Android. I'm sure ATT will also be quite anxious to get higher end Android devices to take up some of the slack when iPhone exclusivity ends.

Verizon's Android sales will drop, true. The platform itself will continue to flourish on every carrier - Verizon included - and across the globe.
    I agree with both statements, and your right Verizon def will be pushing their LTE service, and right now Android is the only OS at their disposal to do so. Android def will continue to flourish, and I think like the EVO did with sprint because of the marketing for 4G on a new network, their sales will be alot higher then usual.
    I agree with both statements, and your right Verizon def will be pushing their LTE service, and right now Android is the only OS at their disposal to do so. Android def will continue to flourish, and I think like the EVO did with sprint because of the marketing for 4G on a new network, their sales will be alot higher then usual.
    The thing is...it's not just 4G. if that were the case, Android would be a huge flop elsewhere in the world. It's not.

Android is the only modern, touch-oriented mobile OS that is mature, flush with apps, and available for virtually every price point, carrier, and form factor one could want. THAT is why it is a success.

Apple/iOS does not offer that, and they have no desire to offer anything in that sentence above after the word "apps". It's not their business model. HP Palm has the OS, but no maturity, apps, or diversity in hardware. In a best case scenario, they could maybe get parity in those areas 18-24 months from now...MAYBE. WP7 is probably the closest to Android in this regard, but they haven't even scheduled their first OS upgrade. So they, too, are months and months away from even having a chance to reach parity. Blackberry....the less said the better. Same goes for Maemo, MeeGo, Mumrah, and whatever other branches Nokia is trying to hang onto in their long, tragic fall from grace.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast