Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok - I received an Apple Touch for Christmas. Very nice, fun to play with, apps eh, blah blah blah.

I charge the thing overnight. Next morning its only at half charge? OK so I figure maybe I didnt connect it right, bad outlet, whatever. Charge again overnight, 3/4 charge in the morning.

Off to Apple store at the mall. Wait a half hour for an "Appointment", and the tech says OH - you have too many apps running in the background!

It turns out that the new iphone OS4 doesnt really close a program under the guise that it is multi tasking, so when you "close" a program, it in fact stays running. If I had not gone in I wouldn't have known that double tapping on the bottom circle, shows every app you've used as being open, and DRAINING your battery!!

In my humble opinion WebOS rocks. When you flick off an app it closes, when you minimize it, its there for you. Black and white, end of story. Push notifications I understand drain battery juice, BUT don't call it multi tasking if you dont even know your doing it.

Muti tasking - I Dont Think So!!
    Its just like Mac computers. When you "close" a program it is still running. Just one of the little tweaks I don't like about their OS.
    Push notifications don't drain your battery, polling does, which is when an app checks every so many minutes.

Posted from my eVo!
    Last edited by verwon; 01/03/2011 at 03:00 PM.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Push notifications don't drawing your battery, polling does, which is when an app checks every so many minutes.

Posted from my eVo!
    Thank you for the clarification!
    No phone truly does two things at once. They "save state" on one app when you open next. When you open the first app again, they reopen where you left off. In iOS, some apps truly go dormant but others as V points out sync or poll for notifications.

In webOS, when you change cards, the old app is frozen and the new app is active. Go back to the first app and it is unfrozen right where you left off. It is like a game of "Red light-Green Light." That is how come it takes 2 seconds to open Google Maps in Android the first time but it is almost instantaneous from then on.

When you throw away a webOS card, you do a "force close." Some apps like email, calendar, phone, Facebook, and messaging continue to run processes, for instance checking for notifications.

Some apps such as video chat (Facetime) and social media apps like Facebook can kill your battery. Apps that constantly use GPS can also be notorious battery hogs.

Some still use Task Killers in Android to make sure everything is turned off but since 2.2, Google has asked users not to do this as the system now truly freezes apps. Still poorly written social media, chat, and GPS based apps can continue to draw power unless they are closed.

New users to webOS want to leave cards open. New iOS users load up all the apps they can. New Android users put on every app and widget they can.

Certain apps not only kill battery life but steal CPU power as well. Many of the Battery Life tips below apply equally well to all three platforms.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/03/2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No phone truly does two things at once. They "save state" on one app when you open next. When you open the first app again, they reopen where you left off. In iOS, some apps truly go dormant but others as V points out sync or poll for notifications.

In webOS, when you change cards, the old app is frozen and the new app is active. Go back to the first app and it is unfrozen right where you left off. It is like a game of "Red light-Green Light."

When you throw away a webOS card, you do a "force close." Some apps like email, calendar, phone, Facebook, and messaging continue to run processes, for instance checking for notifications.

Some apps such as video chat (Facetime) and social media apps like Facebook can kill your battery. Apps that constantly use GPS can also be notorious battery hogs.

Some still use Task Killers in Android to make sure everything is turned off but since 2.2, Google has asked users not to do this as the system now truly freezes apps. Still poorly written social media, chat, and GPS based apps can continue to draw power unless they are closed.

New users to webOS want to leave cards open. New iOS users load up all the apps they can. New Android users put on every app and widget they can.

It not only kills battery life but steals CPU power.
    But what happens when you have two browser cards open at once? Don't both cards load simultaneously?
    Sprint Love
    A little correction here is that apps aren't simply frozen as in "save state" all the time. It really depends on the app. For example, in webOS, 3D games and video are frozen when you switch to something else, but other apps actually do continue running as long as the card remains open.

Same is true for Android. I often use Cardio Trainer along with the music player at the same time and both continue to run rather than "save state". A quick test is to start a speed test and go send an SMS. When you're done with the SMS and come back to the speed test, you'll see that it has either finished running or is near the end (depending on how long you took to compose and send the SMS).

Skipping all the technical stuff of OS multitasking (time slicing, etc), the net effect to the user is that it is possible to run multiple apps at the same time.

As as user, what you hope for are developers that are kind enough not to do heavy UI updating when their app is in the background (i.e. not the active card on webOS or not the visible app on the other platforms).

In webOS, when you change cards, the old app is frozen and the new app is active. Go back to the first app and it is unfrozen right where you left off. It is like a game of "Red light-Green Light."

It not only kills battery life but steals CPU power.
    So when Im updating apps and switch to something else while thats going on, thats not running two things at once? It doesnt pause the download and continue when I go back to it. There is even a patch that allows video to continue playing if you switch to something else. You can upload pictures to the internet, update feeds in preware, load a web page all at the same time cant you? I think webOS is the only OS that can ACTUALLY run more than one thing at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I think webOS is the only OS that can ACTUALLY run more than one thing at a time.
    webOS is not unique in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    webOS is not unique in this regard.
    Well I dont know how far Android has come with multitasking. But I could have sworn that it was mentioned that iOS wasnt "true multitasking" because they do freeze the process when you exit the app instead of continuing running. The music app is the exception because that is the simplest form of multitasking that my Centro even did.
    Well I dont know how far Android has come with multitasking. But I could have sworn that it was mentioned that iOS wasnt "true multitasking" because they do freeze the process when you exit the app instead of continuing running. The music app is the exception because that is the simplest form of multitasking that my Centro even did.
    I can't speak for iOS since I don't have an iOS-based product to test on but I can confirm that it's not just the music app on Android. There are apps that "save state" on Android (e.g. Angry Birds) just like 3D games and video do on webOS. But there are also apps that I use all the time (again like Cardio Trainer) that simply continue running in the background while I'm using other apps. Same was true when I used programs on webOS.

They both do "true multitasking" but I think Palm is the only one that plays that card (pardon the pun) heavily in advertising).
    Is it possible to tell which OS drains more battery from "frozen apps". Say if you compare similar apps in the background.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    No phone truly does two things at once. They "save state" on one app when you open next. When you open the first app again, they reopen where you left off. ...

In webOS, when you change cards, the old app is frozen and the new app is active. Go back to the first app and it is unfrozen right where you left off. It is like a game of "Red light-Green Light." ...
    if that were true, how does the patch work that has youtube play in the background? How does it work that I can watch multiple browser cards load at once while polling for email, etc?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/03/2011 at 12:34 PM.
    I can't speak for iOS since I don't have an iOS-based product to test on but I can confirm that it's not just the music app on Android. There are apps that "save state" on Android (e.g. Angry Birds) just like 3D games and video do on webOS. But there are also apps that I use all the time (again like Cardio Trainer) that simply continue running in the background while I'm using other apps. Same was true when I used programs on webOS.

They both do "true multitasking" but I think Palm is the only one that plays that card (pardon the pun) heavily in advertising).
    Well I think you are right when you said it depends on the app. Maybe I'm wrong, but on other OS's the app has to be written for multitasking. On webOS, everything just automatically does it. I think thats the difference.
    I'm not a developer but I think because people want stuff to start up fast when they switch apps, I think many apps are partially cached in the memory so they don't have to completely rev up again and again. Plus some things must run in the background if you expect them to work as intended. This seems to be true for several OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Its just like Mac computers. When you "close" a program it is still running. Just one of the little tweaks I don't like about their OS.
    Not entirely accurate. The equivalent of "close" in Mac OS X is "Quit". When you do that the app is no longer present. "Close" on a Mac is more "Close out of the current context".
    Well I think you are right when you said it depends on the app. Maybe I'm wrong, but on other OS's the app has to be written for multitasking. On webOS, everything just automatically does it. I think thats the difference.
    Not everything. By default 3D games, the video player, youtube etc all save state on webOS. Many times, you want the apps to continue running, but there are many times when save state would be better. There are advantages and disadvantages to both use cases. In all cases, apps should be written with multitasking in mind (even on webOS). It's when developers don't recognize this that you get apps that go rouge while in the background.

Interesting side note: People say Palm does not know how to market things. However, they seem to have done a good job convincing people that webOS is the only multitasking mobile OS.
    Not entirely accurate. The equivalent of "close" in Mac OS X is "Quit". When you do that the app is no longer present. "Close" on a Mac is more "Close out of the current context".
    But its still technically open right? As long as it has that little light under the icon in the launcher? I just think its kinda bad that with apple, unless you know better, you think the program (or in this case, an app) is "closed."
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    Ok - I received an Apple Touch for Christmas. Very nice, fun to play with, apps eh, blah blah blah.

I charge the thing overnight. Next morning its only at half charge? OK so I figure maybe I didnt connect it right, bad outlet, whatever. Charge again overnight, 3/4 charge in the morning.

Off to Apple store at the mall. Wait a half hour for an "Appointment", and the tech says OH - you have too many apps running in the background!

It turns out that the new iphone OS4 doesnt really close a program under the guise that it is multi tasking, so when you "close" a program, it in fact stays running. If I had not gone in I wouldn't have known that double tapping on the bottom circle, shows every app you've used as being open, and DRAINING your battery!!

In my humble opinion WebOS rocks. When you flick off an app it closes, when you minimize it, its there for you. Black and white, end of story. Push notifications I understand drain battery juice, BUT don't call it multi tasking if you dont even know your doing it.

Muti tasking - I Dont Think So!!
    Android keeps the last 8th Apps running in memory and it's pretty quiet on in my opinion. I honestly prefer android way over any other systems way of handling multitasking. I don't root, overclock or change roms and this thing works and works pretty well. Webos is great but you need to manually close Apps to regain the memory and speed.
    Not everything. By default 3D games, the video player, youtube etc all save state on webOS. Many times, you want the apps to continue running, but there are many times when save state would be better. There are advantages and disadvantages to both use cases. In all cases, apps should be written with multitasking in mind (even on webOS). It's when developers don't recognize this that you get apps that go rouge while in the background.

Interesting side note: People say Palm does not know how to market things. However, they seem to have done a good job convincing people that webOS is the only multitasking mobile OS.
    Well in all those examples (games, video, youtube), those all have pause features. Its the same as if you pause it and keep it in the foreground. Its not really a save state. webOS just automatically pauses that for you when you exit. The patch to continue video just removed that from the video player. Its like what I said though. All other OS's, the app has to be specifically written for multitasking. And I believe that with webOS, the OS itself automatically allows everything to be ran at the same time without it having to be written a certain way.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast