Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Multitask this and multitask that, it a shame that average Joe doesn't give a crap. Now apple and google hit the ground running selling features that Joe's been wanting.

Now here comes palm all hip and cool selling multitasking ya know the stuff windows 3.1 could do.

But in the end as you can see one of the three has been sold recently, guess multitasking on phones is not all it's cracked up to be.
    Yes and no. I really think Apple and Google (especially Apple) did it right. They did it in a manner that the average user doesn't need to be concerned with app management/multitasking but still make use of the features that require (navigation, music, etc) without it hindering the experience.
    played with an ipod touch 4g last weekend and i was impressed. loved the facetime app, also the yahoo messenger and skype video. thinking whether to get the iphone 4 or just the ipod touch and using it in conjuction with my pre plus w/free tether. multi tasking using im seem to still work while running in background.

even tho most may say a ffc is not needed in a phone, i think its really cool and is quite usefull for staying in touch with family and friends that are away or abroad.

i wouldnt mind a palm pre form factor with a ffc... but will also need some major dev apps to go with it other wise it would be useless.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Yes and no. I really think Apple and Google (especially Apple) did it right. They did it in a manner that the average user doesn't need to be concerned with app management/multitasking but still make use of the features that require (navigation, music, etc) without it hindering the experience.
    I was bored and trying to be silly.
    Last edited by helidos; 01/04/2011 at 09:19 AM.
  4.    #44  
    Mr. Spock would say that this is all very fascinating. This dialog has in fact been very educational. Thank you to all!!

If I understand this all - the only apps using up the battery are those that poll whatever resource is beyond the phone, looking for wifi, bt, or updates in general to whatever the app does, FB notifications, weather, GPS, etc.

I also like the premise that all apps regardless operate on a timeshare premise. I can visualize that. Frozen to a degree based on the rules the dev has set up.

Perhaps my Touch is defective although it seems to come up to charge faster than the original precipitating event. It does however drain faster than what I would have thought.

In the end all I want is a WebOS phone with the iOS splash. Hopefully HP will give us just that!
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    Ok - I received an Apple Touch for Christmas. Very nice, fun to play with, apps eh, blah blah blah.

I charge the thing overnight. Next morning its only at half charge? OK so I figure maybe I didnt connect it right, bad outlet, whatever. Charge again overnight, 3/4 charge in the morning.

Off to Apple store at the mall. Wait a half hour for an "Appointment", and the tech says OH - you have too many apps running in the background!

It turns out that the new iphone OS4 doesnt really close a program under the guise that it is multi tasking, so when you "close" a program, it in fact stays running. If I had not gone in I wouldn't have known that double tapping on the bottom circle, shows every app you've used as being open, and DRAINING your battery!!
    I think you've got a bad battery; I would get it checked out again, and have them test the battery.

i have an iPhone4, and it will be weeks before I ever go in and "close" any apps. Half charge after not being used all night; apps open or not, is ridiculous.

I call fail by the Genius Bar (although I don't know why people criticize making an appointment - i'd much rather have an appointment then go in and WAIT like I do everywhere else) .

on another note, about Multitasking -its dependent on the App. My Engadget App does NOT multitask. My Words with Friends App DOES.

MapMyRun continues to keeps track of all my running data, even if I happen to check email, Facebook, listen to music, answer a call, or use another third-party app.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123