1.    #1  
    I figured Id compare the differences of the OS systems between the 3 OS's of Webos, WP7, and Android.

AT A GLANCE

First off Webos we all know runs on the Linux kernel, that sits a software stack that has much in common with mainstream Linux distributions for desktop computers.

Next Android which dosent run on the linux kernel, but a modified fragmented version of it. The issue with Android's OS is that their kernel dosent run on the mainline of the linux kernel, so it causes developers drivers and platform codes locked out from ever contributing it back to the kernel community. Which cause them not to be able to take advantage of the security fixes, and handle the rapid API churn automatically. Right now Companies with Android-specific platform and drivers can not contribute upstream, which causes these companies a much larger maintenance and development cycle.

Next is WP7 which is based off of what they call METRO. Metro is an internal code name for a typography-based design language created by Microsoft. It was created as a product of Microsoft's user interface design work on some of their media products like Zune and Windows Media Center, for major utilization in their mobile operating system, Windows Phone 7.[1] A specially made version of Microsoft's Segoe font family, known as "Segoe WP", are used as the main typographical fonts.

INSIDE THE OS

WEBOS uses — among other components — the Linux kernel 2.6.24,[42] Upstart, GStreamer as a multimedia framework, libpurple for instant messaging, Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) for game programming, PulseAudio for audio management, and WebKit.[43] Applications for webOS are written in JavaScript, HTML, AJAX, and some other common 'web' technologies, which is handled by WebKit, as well as C and C++. It supports streaming video in RTSP, H.263, and H.264 formats.

Android The Android operating system software stack consists of Java applications running on a Java based object oriented application framework on top of Java core libraries running on a Dalvik virtual machine featuring JIT compilation. Libraries written in C include the surface manager, OpenCore[18] media framework, SQLite relational database management system, OpenGL ES 2.0 3D graphics API, WebKit layout engine, SGL graphics engine, SSL, and Bionic libc.

WP7 Applications and games for Windows Phone 7 must be based in XNA, Silverlight, and the .NET Compact Framework 4 only[76]. Microsoft offers Visual Studio 2010 Express and Expression Blend for Windows Phone (phone development versions of larger applications) for free[77]. On November 29th 2009, Microsoft announced the Release to web (RTW) version of its Visual Basic Developer Tool, to allow development in Visual Basic.

MY CONCLUSION

Pretty much understanding that Linux is easier to develop for (full Linux as noted, not fragmented and based on a modified version like Android) unlike WP7 which is limited to .NET Compact Framework 4 only. As well as easier to customize (as we see through the 100's of patchs created for the Webos OS). If each operating system is placed in the same hardware (lets take the HTC EVO's Shell) and understanding the potentials of each OS, to me Webos will have a high leg up over these other two OS's. With financial issues being the road block for Webos to muture its OS at a rapid level with their competition, and unable to produce fine hardware to run it on, Webos has started its birth crippled in the flooded market of mobile technology. Though now with HP providing the support needed, for development of the OS, as well as access to superior hardware and design, it should be only a matter of time before Webos is really projected as the better OS. Of course this all in my humble opinion.

on google androids linux kernel:

http://lwn.net/Articles/372419/
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 12/31/2010 at 09:36 AM.
    This post reminds me of Dr. Welsing's "The Isis Papers". There is just enough fact mixed in with fiction to make the race (OS) of the author's choosing seem superior to another.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    This post reminds me of Dr. Welsing's "The Isis Papers". There is just enough fact mixed in with fiction to make the race (OS) of the author's choosing seem superior to another.
    well of course I lean more towards webos (which is my os of choice), but those facts presented out weigh the fiction. Unless of course you have supporting facts that can supress mine.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Most developers are more focused on the platforms that have the most users, not what is easier to develop for. Independent developers tend to develop for the devices that they own themselves.
    correct, so if HP does produce devices that cater to the masses, developers will hopefully get on board, and the scarce 5k applications will skyrocket faster then that of Google and WP7 just due to it being easier to develop for right?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well of course I lean more towards webos (which is my os of choice), but those facts presented out weigh the fiction. Unless of course you have supporting facts that can supress mine.
    I have one fact: The Market. Take a look at it sometime. And no, I don't mean just marketshare, I mean take a look at what really happened (without webOS blinders on). I rehashed a small portion of it in the other thread but those blinders are getting in the way. Nothing wrong with believing in an OS. However, trying to convince people that other OSes can't be successful, despite the fact they they already are successful (or are demonstrating actual, current progress towards that end) is just being fanatical.

By the way, it would probably serve the discussion better if you simply referenced the source rather than cutting and pasting pieces of it out of context. Not a slam, just saying if we are going to discuss this, allow people to read stuff in context.
    Now the App Catalog is chocked full of great apps even in niche areas so it drives a ton more users.
    *small correction* App Store.
  7.    #7  
    It doesn't matter what the SDK looks like, really, as long as there are tons of users. There is a positive reinforcement cycle that started out with the success of the iPhone without the SDK being available. Then when the SDK came out developers were pretty interested. It doesn't hurt that the iOS SDK is much more developed than any others that you mentioned. Now the App Catalog is chocked full of great apps even in niche areas so it drives a ton more users.

As far as webOS is concerned, I fail to see what would make all those users want to buy a webOS smartphone or tablet in the first place. Please name a couple things that HP Palm could do to the hardware or the software that would make it so overwhelmingly compelling compared to what's coming in 2011 - more Androids from the likes of Motorla and Samsung, Verizon iPhone, iPhone 5, RIMs, a slew of WP7 hardware, cheaper Androids.

BTW, developers will probably only come on board AFTER webOS adoption takes off. There are more popular platforms to spend time on - no need to speculate anymore.

Developers don’t rush to new platforms
    A common fallacy is assuming that any new platform in an exciting market — recently, smartphones and tablet computers — will be flooded with developers as soon as it’s released, as if developers are just waiting outside the gates, hungrily waiting to storm in.
    Marco.org - Developers don't rush to new platforms

well if you look at the trend right now, based upon what mobile devices are adapted they are slab type, high res smartphones. With correct modeling from those devices running webos, and a strong marketing campagne, why wouldnt people pick up a webos device? Look at even WP7, they have sold over a million devices already coming out the gate, though the difference between Microsoft, and the Old Palm is money, and resources. HP has both, and has a brand name worldwide stronger then that of even Apple (HP 10th, Apple 17th) so people know who HP is, and the type of quality they bring. HP can also fund developers to start production on applications even before people really start to pick up devices. Webos in the masses already has already had a great response, the thing that was criticized was hardware, and a non optimized OS, which both suffered from Palm not having the money to initally launch a fully optimized OS, and producing a high end device.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 12/31/2010 at 09:37 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I have one fact: The Market. Take a look at it sometime. And no, I don't mean just marketshare, I mean take a look at what really happened (without webOS blinders on). I rehashed a small portion of it in the other thread but those blinders are getting in the way. Nothing wrong with believing in an OS. However, trying to convince people that other OSes can't be successful, despite the fact they they already are successful (or are demonstrating actual, current progress towards that end) is just being fanatical.

By the way, it would probably serve the discussion better if you simply referenced the source rather than cutting and pasting pieces of it out of context. Not a slam, just saying if we are going to discuss this, allow people to read stuff in context.
    oh I def look at the market, and by no way state that Android and WP7 will fail. I state that Webos has a better potential, at behing the better OS. Of course not just electronics but in all things we see things that are better never take off, or get the credit deserved even if it is better then their opponents. If a product dosent do well, and has believers behind dosent make them blind to the competition, just confident that what they believe in will prevail with the right tools. I def agree with the sources part, they were all from WIKI though, the basic information they post about the OS's. The other I will post thanks.