Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Skype video calling for iPhone is official, available now -- Engadget

This is big. Supports video chat from iPhone to Mac/Windows/iPad/iPod/iPhone and vice-versa over WiFi AND 3G.
    I thought VZW had announced they had an exclusive with skype... I wonder how those work together...
    I think Skype is only exclusive to Verizon on Android and webOS 2.0...but they did briefly have this posted on their site last week:

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I thought VZW had announced they had an exclusive with skype... I wonder how those work together...
    That was with Android. Apple would never let anything like that fly. The carriers have generally no authority when it comes to Apple+iOS.
    And Maemo has supported Skype video for years, what's your point? That Apple is behind the times as well?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And Maemo has supported Skype video for years, what's your point? That Apple is behind the times as well?
    Actually, that would be Skype. Apple had no say or influence in bringing video to Skype on iOS. I'm sure Skype video on iOS has a much larger impact than Skype video on Maemo.

Is it of any surprise that Skype video was on Maemo before anything else, considering both are European based?
    I was actually just coming back to edit my post anyway. I misspoke, Skype video only came to Maemo maybe 6 months ago.

I remembered video calling on my n800, but it seems that must've been via a standard SIP connection, and not via Skype.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I was actually just coming back to edit my post anyway. I misspoke, Skype video only came to Maemo maybe 6 months ago.

I remembered video calling on my n800, but it seems that must've been via a standard SIP connection, and not via Skype.
    No worries.

I just tested it on the iPhone 4 with a computer and the quality is decent. Not Face Time quality (Face Time is amazing quality) but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Considering how widespread Skype is and the amount of platforms/device it's on, this is big.
    Yeah, it's a tradeoff between ubiquity and quality right now when it comes to Skype vs FaceTime. I don't mind giving up a little quality in exchange for being able to video chat with pretty much everyone I know, though.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, it's a tradeoff between ubiquity and quality right now when it comes to Skype vs FaceTime. I don't mind giving up a little quality in exchange for being able to video chat with pretty much everyone I know, though.
    Exactly. You'd think though, for a company that's been doing video telephony for years now would be able to do something that is at least somewhat respectable over WiFi.
    So I guess skype is only going to be on iOS and verizon phones?
    This is just Skype trying to stay relevant. I believe the bell has already tolled for them. Skype is the favorite son of geeks and tekkies. Podcasters depend on Skype, not moms and dads. FT is a game changer because it is just making a phone call or sending an email. It does not require a special type of account. You just make a call in the usual way, and touch an icon if you want to be seen. Tech insiders have a hard time understanding the distinction between FT and some third party chat service.

When FT hits 3G around the world, Skype's days will be numbered... in single digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is just Skype trying to stay relevant. I believe the bell has already tolled for them. Skype is the favorite son of geeks and tekkies. Podcasters depend on Skype, not moms and dads. FT is a game changer because it is just making a phone call or sending an email. It does not require a special type of account. You just make a call in the usual way, and touch an icon if you want to be seen. Tech insiders have a hard time understanding the distinction between FT and some third party chat service.

When FT hits 3G around the world, Skype's days will be numbered... in single digits.
    I think you might be a bit out of touch with your comments. When the number of FT accounts exceeds one half billion, then there will be as many as there are Skype accounts. Skype has been the most commonly used international VOIP program for years and its video calling feature exploded when it became the defacto standard for netbooks. It's also more used on macs than iSight since it works across platforms (linux, windows, mac). It's the go-to program for long-distance business vid-phoning and those same business travelers use it to talk to their families at home when they're on the road.

I'd be curious how many people you know who actually use facetime more than just for a gimmick. I can name 50 people in my company (of 100) who use Skype video at least weekly, if not daily. Of that, the 7 iPhone users (all avid Skypers) have each made maybe a couple of FT calls, and that just to show it to someone else. Maybe Apple is the one trying to be relevant here.

Edit Add: Here's a recent article on Skype usage. I don't think Apple, in their wildest dreams, could conceive of FT usage figures like this. And now this vid-phoning monster is on Apple's own devices.

Relevant indeed.
    I know a ton of people who've never heard of skype and their eyes would glaze over if you tried to tell them about it. This is what makes facetime relevant.

Apple targets the masses most of which couldn't conceive of working at a company where half the users even have a need for this.
    FT can only be used on certain Apple-only devices though, and not everyone has one of those. Skype ain't going anywhere.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    FT can only be used on certain Apple-only devices though, and not everyone has one of those. Skype ain't going anywhere.

For now, but I guarantee that will change as the technology gains a foothold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

What happens if you are not on wifi when you receive the call, I know the call goes through but does it prompt to connect to wifi in the call?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I know a ton of people who've never heard of skype and their eyes would glaze over if you tried to tell them about it. This is what makes facetime relevant.
    Two things:
    1: How many people are in a "ton of people"
    2: The world can't help if the people you know are not sophisticated enough to understand the concept of Skype.
    Plus your argument makes no sense. If they can't understand the concept of Skype, how are they going to understand the fact you need a wifi connection for FT?

Apple targets the masses most of which couldn't conceive of working at a company where half the users even have a need for this.
    This is pure speculation, not a single provable fact in that statement.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/30/2010 at 12:20 PM.

I know about 5 people who either can't use or can barely use a computer and even they have HEARD of Skype. Heck, my grandma has literally never owned, borrowed, or even used a computer in her life and even she has HEARD of Skype. And not from me either because I don't bother with video chat.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    What happens if you are not on wifi when you receive the call, I know the call goes through but does it prompt to connect to wifi in the call?
    Right now, if someone tries to FaceTime someone that isn't on WiFi it pops up as a missed FaceTime call on the persons iPhone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast