Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You don't get why Apple cuts features off for older devices, so people need to buy new ones if they want those features? Even though it's been shown by jailbreakers that features taken off actually do work just fine, despite the "excuse" that the hardware can't handle it?
    Anyone that understands usability and user experience will quickly understand why. Apple has a reputation to uphold.
    Oprah uses Skype on her show and pushes it every time she gets. You can bet your *** people know what Skype is. Especially the Oprah demographic, which includes a lot of non-techie people.

And Apple announced that FaceTime will be an open protocol but have yet to follow-through on their announcement. As of now it is closed source.

I think this Skype update might light a fire under Apple to move quicker with FaceTime. Complete the Mac OS beta and open up the protocol so we can see some sort of integration in the other mobile Operation systems. At that point they would be a real threat to Skype.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Oprah uses Skype on her show and pushes it every time she gets. You can bet your *** people know what Skype is. Especially the Oprah demographic, which includes a lot of non-techie people.

And Apple announced that FaceTime will be an open protocol but have yet to follow-through on their announcement. As of now it is closed source.

I think this Skype update might light a fire under Apple to move quicker with FaceTime. Complete the Mac OS beta and open up the protocol so we can see some sort of integration in the other mobile Operation systems. At that point they would be a real threat to Skype.
    Possibly. But after reading a little more since this announcement, it's beginning to surface that Apple played a hand in helping Skype get video on iOS.
    I know it works great. I look forward to webos making it happen soon. Being able to videoconference is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Possibly. But after reading a little more since this announcement, it's beginning to surface that Apple played a hand in helping Skype get video on iOS.
    With the inevitable release of video support for the Skype Android client, Apple probably didn't want to be left out. Being first out ofnthe gate, minus maemo, is th best position to be in.

I wish all the smartphon operating system makers do decide on a defacto standard for video calling. Indon't care if it's FaceTime or Skype, as long as other people are Using it. Skype seems to have the edge in this regard.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123