Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I know a ton of people who've never heard of skype and their eyes would glaze over if you tried to tell them about it. This is what makes facetime relevant.

    Apple targets the masses most of which couldn't conceive of working at a company where half the users even have a need for this.
    You must know diferent people than me. My daugter got a new iPod touch and the first this she did was dowload Skype. FT is only for apple users, so its limmited by nature. If they open FT up to all devices then it could compete. I use Skype while on the rode to keep up with family and friends. Everyone I know uses Skype. Ive never seen anyone use FT.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    You must know diferent people than me. My daugter got a new iPod touch and the first this she did was dowload Skype. FT is only for apple users, so its limmited by nature. If they open FT up to all devices then it could compete. I use Skype while on the rode to keep up with family and friends. Everyone I know uses Skype. Ive never seen anyone use FT.
    Apple did make FaceTime an open standard/protocol, meaning anyone and everyone can implement it in their service(s). Who knows, maybe Skype will, at some point, make their service cross-compatible with FaceTime.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    1: How many people are in a "ton of people?
    Approximately 4 Kentuckians or 12 people from any other state.
  4. #24  
    I think the real point here is that iPhone users now have access to the most widely used video conferencing system in addition to the best implementation of video conferencing. Can't really complain about that.
  5. #25  
    While on the subject, when they first announced FaceTime, wasn't it supposed to be an open protocol that any platform could use? What ever happened to that?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    While on the subject, when they first announced FaceTime, wasn't it supposed to be an open protocol that any platform could use? What ever happened to that?
    FaceTime uses open standards which allows others to implement services/features that are interoperable. At least that's how I understood things when they made the announcement.

    Not sure if its FaceTime itself that is the open standard/protocol or they developed it in a sense that makes it easy to interface with.
  7. #27  
    I can say the skype works great! I bought my daughter a Ipod touch and we were using yahoo messenger to video chat but now she can call me from her skype and the picture is very clear works flawless over wifi.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I can say the skype works great! I bought my daughter a Ipod touch and we were using yahoo messenger to video chat but now she can call me from her skype and the picture is very clear works flawless over wifi.
    Sweet! Anything that keeps the family connected is in my book!
  9. #29  
    anyone doing video conference of any kind on webOS?
  10. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    anyone doing video conference of any kind on webOS?
    [*crickets*]
  11. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    No, but you don't need to. Just call the person up and open up a picture of them. It's just as good. Or, jump in a car and drive over to where they are and talk in person. Are you lazy or something? Video conferencing is a superphone feature.
    Reminds me of Britt's "camera phone" on Flight of the Conchords
  12. #33  
    I would imagine it is coming soon.**Off topic Rant begins** IMO Palm has created a new operating system and like when anything new comes out it has growing pains. I recall when windows first came out offerings were slim but the people that recognize and support the need for something different is what allows something new to flourish.

    Palm/Hp took a risk to bring something different to the game, I applaud them for that effort. The IPhone came out in 2007. When the Iphone first came out there were not alot of apps and cool features like there are now but look three years later what happened. I actually have read some forums about the Iphone and Android and I would swear some of the same comments about why can't an Iphone\Android do this or that similar to what we have here on Precentral and I had to make sure I was on a different forum. LOL! But that is my digress for today. **Rant ends***

    I actually see the potential in webOS and in due time it will have its glory. It shines now but the shine is only a little blink when compared to other mobile os's. I just say be patient.
  13. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Two things:
    1: How many people are in a "ton of people"
    2: The world can't help if the people you know are not sophisticated enough to understand the concept of Skype.
    Plus your argument makes no sense. If they can't understand the concept of Skype, how are they going to understand the fact you need a wifi connection for FT?



    This is pure speculation, not a single provable fact in that statement.
    1. A lot of people. Several. Many. Use your imagination :P
    2. I use skype..don't get me wrong.

    My argument (what little there was of one) was that for this or any video conferencing feature to take off, it needs to be built into the OS. Much like Facetime is. I was responding to which will be more relevant later.

    The walmart crowd far outnumbers the skype crowd.

    You say its speculation. I'll just say you haven't been paying attention. Let's see if HP does. There's a reason the smartphone market didn't really take off til Apple designed an OS that a 3yr old could use.
  14. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    1. A lot of people. Several. Many. Use your imagination :P
    2. I use skype..don't get me wrong.

    My argument (what little there was of one) was that for this or any video conferencing feature to take off, it needs to be built into the OS. Much like Facetime is. I was responding to which will be more relevant later.

    The walmart crowd far outnumbers the skype crowd.

    You say its speculation. I'll just say you haven't been paying attention. Let's see if HP does. There's a reason the smartphone market didn't really take off til Apple designed an OS that a 3yr old could use.
    I should not have used the word argument, maybe counter point? However I understand your point. Thanks
  15. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    **Off topic Rant begins** IMO Palm has created a new operating system and like when anything new comes out it has growing pains. I recall when windows first came out offerings were slim but the people that recognize and support the need for something different is what allows something new to flourish.

    Palm/Hp took a risk to bring something different to the game, I applaud them for that effort. The IPhone came out in 2007. When the Iphone first came out there were not alot of apps and cool features like there are now but look three years later what happened. I actually have read some forums about the Iphone and Android and I would swear some of the same comments about why can't an Iphone\Android do this or that similar to what we have here on Precentral and I had to make sure I was on a different forum. LOL! But that is my digress for today. **Rant ends***
    The only issue I take with your rant is the difference between releasing something that was very much ahead of the curve and game changing that has gotten further ahead with each iteration vs releasing something that is very much behind the curve, was not game changing at all and is playing catch up with each iteration.

    That is the fundamental difference I see between webOS and iOS.
  16. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    FaceTime uses open standards which allows others to implement services/features that are interoperable. At least that's how I understood things when they made the announcement.

    Not sure if its FaceTime itself that is the open standard/protocol or they developed it in a sense that makes it easy to interface with.
    I read that it was supposed to be an open standard but it seems Apple hasn't actually let it out yet for implementations outside their control.
  17. #38  
    I hate how they stopped at 3rd gen ipod touch. I have 2nd gen...don't get why they didn't support it.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  18. #39  
    You don't get why Apple cuts features off for older devices, so people need to buy new ones if they want those features? Even though it's been shown by jailbreakers that features taken off actually do work just fine, despite the "excuse" that the hardware can't handle it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You don't get why Apple cuts features off for older devices, so people need to buy new ones if they want those features? Even though it's been shown by jailbreakers that features taken off actually do work just fine, despite the "excuse" that the hardware can't handle it?
    I also wish I got sarcasm

    I've been avoiding the need to jailbreak it. Waiting for that one feature that i'll want before needing to jailbreak. I refuse to pay for anything Apple (this one was a gift).
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions