Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Geek.com had an interesting write up on the problems associated with the playbook's battery life

BlackBerry PlayBook only gets "a few hours" battery life says analyst – New Tech Gadgets & Electronic Devices | Geek.com

To be honest, I hope webOS does better.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    There is a misconception that just because an item is small is doesn’t require much power. If you look at laptop computers – they only have a battery life of a few hours. Tablets and pads have about the same amount of power demands but are in a smaller case with less space for batteries.

People also tend to think that a smartphone should have an equivalent battery life of a feature phone because they are about the same size. Smartphones are pocket computers that have the demands of multiple processors, radios and displays.

My solution to my power requirements for my laptops and smartphones is the same; keep a charger handy. I seldom use my laptop computer when it is not plugged into a power supply and I have touchstones in my cars, at my office, on my home computer desk and by my bed for my Pre Plus.

People want more power in their mobile devices but need to realize that more computing power = more battery required
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    While I agree, that keep a charger handy is a smart idea, I own at least 4 chargers (work, car, vaca home..) I need a device that I can depend on when traveling, at a concert, hiking up the side of a volcano. I have had Palm phones seems like forever. Drove through Europe for a month, what 6 years ago with a Treo 650, using Tom Tom navigation on the phone. Battery life was not a concern, If I can make it thorough a full day, I am happy.

I love my (day one) Pre, but it fails on me regularly when I am at a concert or traveling without a place to plug it. Charging an extra battery is a pain in the ****, as is removing the battery cover. I am so ready for a new phone, and battery life is a major factor. Battery life on the iphone has proven itself. MY ipad has great battery life (days) I want a full day (and night), that's all
    What we really need is some sort of a new X-Prize for companies to develop and expand battery technology instead of ships for Mars. Let's conquer this little issue first!
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    There is a misconception that just because an item is small is doesn’t require much power. If you look at laptop computers – they only have a battery life of a few hours. Tablets and pads have about the same amount of power demands but are in a smaller case with less space for batteries.

People also tend to think that a smartphone should have an equivalent battery life of a feature phone because they are about the same size. Smartphones are pocket computers that have the demands of multiple processors, radios and displays.

My solution to my power requirements for my laptops and smartphones is the same; keep a charger handy. I seldom use my laptop computer when it is not plugged into a power supply and I have touchstones in my cars, at my office, on my home computer desk and by my bed for my Pre Plus.

People want more power in their mobile devices but need to realize that more computing power = more battery required
    Few hours? My MacBook Pro gets around 7 hours of battery on average. My MacBook Air gets even better (8-10 hours).

If a tablet gets less than 6-8 hours of battery life, it's of no interest to me, especially considering there are products currently on the market that get much better than that.
    I agree that anything less than 8 hours of regular use won't be competitive with the iPad. Apple understood that and most of the iPad's weight and depth is battery. Even my 13" netbook does 8 hours. A tablet needs to be able to go beyond the competition, not fall woefully short.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    The playbook is a wonderful piece of hardware, but now I have two issues with it - battery life and that tiny 7" screen.

IMO HP should come out with a 15-17" tablet, 10" is big, but if I'm not carrying around my laptop, I at least want the laptop's screen. Throw in 24 hour battery and I'd be set to go.

But I'm a little worried that HP hasn't announced any specs or pictures of their tablet yet. If they want to release at the same time as the Playbook, wouldn't they want to get the press and tech coverage the playbook is getting?

Anyhow, I think HP could take over the market if they release an updated 3.1" mini-smartphone (Pre with no screen), a 3.5" Pre HD (unlikely), 4" slab (This one appears the be the most wanted, yet least likely) , 5" slab phone, 7" tablet, 10" tablet, and 15" tablet.

Few hours? My MacBook Pro gets around 7 hours of battery on average. My MacBook Air gets even better (8-10 hours).
    And my netbook gets 10-12 hours of battery life, and it probably costs half as much as the cheapest Macbook.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

If a tablet gets less than 6-8 hours of battery life, it's of no interest to me, especially considering there are products currently on the market that get much better than that.
    The Play book does real multitasking, none of that iOS/android pseudo multi tasking. That's a huge drain on a battery that is constrained in size. The MBA and MBP has extremely large batteries compared to their size. Great job for apple on that point. I don't think the iPads battery will last much longer than ths playbook if it had the same capability (multitasking) given its 10 hr battery minus 1.5-3 hours for multitasking, then you get a few hours of usable time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    The Play book does real multitasking, none of that iOS/android pseudo multi tasking. That's a huge drain on a battery that is constrained in size. The MBA and MBP has extremely large batteries compared to their size. Great job for apple on that point. I don't think the iPads battery will last much longer than ths playbook if it had the same capability (multitasking) given its 10 hr battery minus 1.5-3 hours for multitasking, then you get a few hours of usable time.
    30% of all stats are made up 45% of the time just like this very statement AND your "minus 1.5-3 hours for multitasking".

Finding sufficient ways to allow for multiple tasks with today's battery tech is a good thing. Every single iOS device user that I've met are perfectly happy with their particular brand of multi-tasking. In fact, the only people I've met that complain about multi-tasking on iOS are webOS users (and I used to be one of them, i.e. both a webOS user and an "iOS does not have true multi-tasking" complainer). Apple built a slightly better battery, stuffed the iPad to the rim with it AND found a way to allow users to multi-task (to most of the users' satisfaction) such that they get maximum battery life. It's not perfect but until the Ancients give us portable ZPMs, it is good, very good.
    Please, define real multitasking. The last time I checked, the iPad multitasks just how I need it to. It plays music in the background from Pandora and various other music applications.

It uploads photos in the background when I close an app. It continues to load my Twitter stream when I close or switch to another app.

You've confused me.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Funny - the article blames bad battery life on an OS that wasn't designed for mobile use, nothing to do with multitasking.
    And I have no issue with pseudo multitasking, as long as I don't have to run a task killer app whenever I finish doing anything.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    one thing to me is that if BB has to postpone the playbook, and if assuming the Palmpad will be out around the same time frame as the Playbook was intended (early Q1) then BB will really be hurt. Having bitten off so much from webos, not introducing it first will def hender sales, for when it does come out it will be looked at as so, a poor mans copy of webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    one thing to me is that if BB has to postpone the playbook, and if assuming the Palmpad will be out around the same time frame as the Playbook was intended (early Q1) then BB will really be hurt. Having bitten off so much from webos, not introducing it first will def hender sales, for when it does come out it will be looked at as so, a poor mans copy of webos.
    Never mind the new webOS tablet that's pending but the iPad 2 that will soon be announced and released. Given the initial success of the first iPad, if the iPhone and its continuous success with each iteration is any indication … the iPad will continue to dominate a market that it created.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Please, define real multitasking. The last time I checked, the iPad multitasks just how I need it to. It plays music in the background from Pandora and various other music applications.

It uploads photos in the background when I close an app. It continues to load my Twitter stream when I close or switch to another app.

You've confused me.
    Very specific apps (apple and select 3rd party apps) can multi task, true multitasking would allow you to run any program and have it still function in the background. don't get me wrong, 4.2 made things better, but that took 9 months to come out. I'm sure apple will continue to move forward, but hopefully your device makes the cut when it does.
    2 hour battery life = major fail. Hell my old dell 17" 2Ghz laptop with a high end graphics card running a 1920x1200 screen got 2 hours battery life.
    Very specific apps (apple and select 3rd party apps) can multi task, true multitasking would allow you to run any program and have it still function in the background. don't get me wrong, 4.2 made things better, but that took 9 months to come out. I'm sure apple will continue to move forward, but hopefully your device makes the cut when it does.
    If it doesn't, I'm pretty satisfied with it for most use cases now. And it'll make for a great hand-me-down if and when I decide to upgrade.

That said, my one day experience before the 4.2 upgrade was pretty unsatisfactory.

When it comes to music, any app can play music in the background. Same with video but you have to press play again in the dash. Apps pausing and saving their state in the back ground is a matter updating the app, not an apple decision.
    What do you mean by select apps? You're telling me that only select developers have access to the multitasking services found in the iOS SDK?

Anyways, to keep things on topic ... webOS, even when you're not multitasking has terrible battery life. When you really begin to do multiple things at once the battery life is just beyond atrocious. I wonder how the Playbook's battery life is with just general usage (watching a movie, for example).
    Last edited by barkerja; 12/29/2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    You know, sometimes I have issues with webOS not wanting to load an app in the background as well...

Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    You know, sometimes I have issues with webOS not wanting to load an app in the background as well...
    Or a webpage
    delete
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast