Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Never mind the new webOS tablet that's pending but the iPad 2 that will soon be announced and released. Given the initial success of the first iPad, if the iPhone and its continuous success with each iteration is any indication … the iPad will continue to dominate a market that it created.
    but you cant nevermind the palmpad, since with just how people reacted to the playbook (which is essentially the PALMPAD), the first to the market between these two companies boasting the same type of interface will benifit. Of course the Ipad will continue to dominate, and wether the palmpad, playbook, or any of these android tablets are successfull or not, it will continue to do so for the time being. So your stating the obvious.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What do you mean by select devices? You're telling me that only select developers have access to the multitasking services found in the iOS SDK?
    The statement you are referring to from the other poster is sort of misleading : Very specific apps (apple and select 3rd party apps) can multi task

    These are the APIs available


    • Background audio - Allows your app to play audio continuously. So customers can listen to your app while they surf the web, play games, and more.
    • Voice over IP - Your VoIP apps can now be even better. Users can now receive VoIP calls and have conversations while using another app. Your users can even receive calls when their phones are locked in their pocket.
    • Background location - Navigation apps can now continue to guide users who are listening to their iPods, or using other apps. iOS 4 also provides a new and battery-efficient way to monitor location when users move between cell towers. This is a great way for your social networking apps to keep track of users and their friends' locations.
    • Push notifications - Receive alerts from your remote servers even when your app isn't running.
    • Local notifications - Your app can now alert users of scheduled events and alarms in the background, no servers required.
    • Task finishing - If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task.
    • Fast app switching - All developers should take advantage of fast app switching, which allows users to leave your app and come right back to where they were when they left - no more having to reload the app

    From what I see of my updates, and this also depends on what you have installed, most developers are taking advantage of Task Finishing and Fast App Switching. Fast App Switching is not multitasking per say, the app is left in a saved state, but from what I can gather it is not doing anything.

    To background any app on an iphone, you need to jailbreak. My experience with a jailbreak on a 3G was the battery was severely affected. Again, that was my experience. Thus Apple came up with the pseudo method of multitasking. It works for me on my iPad, I can live with it.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    Very specific apps (apple and select 3rd party apps) can multi task, true multitasking would allow you to run any program and have it still function in the background. don't get me wrong, 4.2 made things better, but that took 9 months to come out. I'm sure apple will continue to move forward, but hopefully your device makes the cut when it does.
    correct, My girl and I have a Ipad since launch, and though the update made things easier it is still not consider multi tasking period.
  4. #24  
    @sinsin, some devs have still not update their apps to save state, so they just start over when u go back to them. they could though, and it'd b in their best interest
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    but you cant nevermind the palmpad, since with just how people reacted to the playbook (which is essentially the PALMPAD), the first to the market between these two companies boasting the same type of interface will benifit. Of course the Ipad will continue to dominate, and wether the palmpad, playbook, or any of these android tablets are successfull or not, it will continue to do so for the time being. So your stating the obvious.
    Very cool looking os on playbook, and I love webos on my phone. The longest battery life will have a major factor in who leads in market share. That's why I got an iPad. Battery life = mobility.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    but you cant nevermind the palmpad, since with just how people reacted to the playbook (which is essentially the PALMPAD), the first to the market between these two companies boasting the same type of interface will benifit. Of course the Ipad will continue to dominate, and wether the palmpad, playbook, or any of these android tablets are successfull or not, it will continue to do so for the time being. So your stating the obvious.
    I have a feeling that if both playbook and the palmpad are release at the same time, the wOS will prevail. Reason for this, RIM is launching a new OS. After test piloting the Torch, I am not confident in their new OS offerings. I predict some major OS stumbles on a Playbook launch.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Very cool looking os on playbook, and I love webos on my phone. The longest battery life will have a major factor in who leads in market share. That's why I got an iPad. Battery life = mobility.
    def right about that, the Ipad I own battery life is really amazing, i mean over a week standby, and days before charging. HP needs to make sure that the palmpad has similar battery life to the Ipad, since essentially these devices are not considered computers.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    @sinsin, some devs have still not update their apps to save state, so they just start over when u go back to them. they could though, and it'd b in their best interest
    This is true, however most if not all of my apps are updated with Save State. As I mentioned, it depends on what you have installed, and considering how many developers there are for IOS, and how many apps IOS has, the select statement is misleading.

    However that being said, Save State is not multitasking, it just what the API says: Fast App Switching.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I have a feeling that if both playbook and the palmpad are release at the same time, the wOS will prevail. Reason for this, RIM is launching a new OS. After test piloting the Torch, I am not confident in their new OS offerings. I predict some major OS stumbles on a Playbook launch.
    im not sold either, I agree the BB OS is horriable (my office had this OS as a test to see if that android, or WP7 will be used). Though of course most people either forgot about, or never seen webos, so thats why to me BB playbook is getting so much praise. If HP can launch a successful PalmPad before BB, to me that would not only catipult sales and Webos again, but hender the Playbook labeling it a knockoff of the true thing.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    snip...HP needs to make sure that the palmpad has similar battery life to the Ipad, since essentially these devices are not considered computers.
    With wOS "true multitasking", will this be possible?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    With wOS "true multitasking", will this be possible?
    I like the card metaphor. But I wouldn't mind them cutting back on true multitasking.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    With wOS "true multitasking", will this be possible?
    thats what I really want to know, Im assuming with a dual core chip it will be possiable. I also think it will also make the next generation Webos smartphones elite too.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I like the card metaphor. But I wouldn't mind them cutting back on true multitasking.
    me neither if it meant better battery life, but what if the correct chipset (dual core maybe), and componets wouldnt you like to have that option though, if you got battery life like a Ipad?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    thats what I really want to know, Im assuming with a dual core chip it will be possiable. I also think it will also make the next generation Webos smartphones elite too.
    Wouldn't a dual core require more juice?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    me neither if it meant better battery life, but what if the correct chipset (dual core maybe), and componets wouldnt you like to have that option though, if you got battery life like a Ipad?
    You might want to word that question better.

    Yeah as long as it gets better life I'm good.

    If I don't even notice negatives in terms of productivity, they could either just shut off "true" multitasking, or give that option, for even better battery life on top of giving it to you with better hardware. It's so bad right now, I think they should do everything they can, and possibly b able to compete with feature phones on that front too.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Wouldn't a dual core require more juice?
    well even base assumptions on what the omap 4 could do states an extreme difference in battery life:

    TI's new dual-core OMAP4 mobile chipset, the sequel to the OMAP3 series that powers the Droid and Palm Pre (among others), claims crazy performance: Three independent displays running 1080p video, for example, and an estimated 145-hour battery life for audio.

    Basically, TI made up a kind of demo unit (pictured) to show what the OMAP4 can do, which is not inconsiderable. The demo unit is a portable device running Android, equipped with two screens and HDMI-out as well as a 12MP camera, pico projector, plus all the wireless protocols and sensors you can imagine. It's a fantasy device, most certainly not intended for market, but it's a pretty effective way to get our hearts racing.


    The ARM A9-based chipset will be competing with the Apple A4 and Tegra 2 in tablets and smartbooks, but it's also small enough and energy-efficient enough to power handhelds—good news, since it's got some pretty serious muscle. The demo unit uses a dual-1GHz-core version, and supports 1080p video recording at 24/30fps, three simultaneous independent displays (why you'd need that is beyond me), 20MP image processing, and more memory bandwidth than the Tegra 2 (for better multitasking). Besides that, TI's built in image stabilization and "universal decoding," which means it should be able to (software permitting) play back just about any media file you throw at it. TI claims that with a 1000 mAh battery, it can hit 145 hours of audio playback, which sounds freaking insane—the current OMAP3 can only get between 30 and 40.


    they state battery life will be worlds better, hopefully its true.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    You might want to word that question better.

    Yeah as long as it gets better life I'm good.

    If I don't even notice negatives in terms of productivity, they could either just shut off "true" multitasking, or give that option, for even better battery life on top of giving it to you with better hardware. It's so bad right now, I think they should do everything they can, and possibly b able to compete with feature phones on that front too.
    true, but I do believe with the capital HP has, and access to newer dual core chips (which is stated to give better battery life, especially for multitasking) I assume these next generation products HP will be releasing, will be able to sustain more then acceptable battery life.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well even base assumptions on what the omap 4 could do states an extreme difference in battery life:

    The ARM A9-based chipset will be competing with the Apple A4 and Tegra 2 in tablets and smartbooks, but it's also small enough and energy-efficient enough to power handhelds—good news, since it's got some pretty serious muscle. The demo unit uses a dual-1GHz-core version, and supports 1080p video recording at 24/30fps, three simultaneous independent displays (why you'd need that is beyond me), 20MP image processing, and more memory bandwidth than the Tegra 2 (for better multitasking). Besides that, TI's built in image stabilization and "universal decoding," which means it should be able to (software permitting) play back just about any media file you throw at it. TI claims that with a 1000 mAh battery, it can hit 145 hours of audio playback, which sounds freaking insane—the current OMAP3 can only get between 30 and 40.


    they state battery life will be worlds better, hopefully its true.
    Thanks for the info!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    no problem, and for the record I myself have picked up one of HP's dual core AMD Turion II Pavillion laptops, and I must say with the powerful specs under the hood, I get over 7 hours of battery life alone on it. Thats webbrowsing, recording, and playing light videos on it. So not only are the HP's engineers used to using dual core chipsets, they also understand how to build products (hardware wise). IMO they make the best laptops, with the best overall specs.
  20. #40  
    wellwellwell11 certainly has better facts than me, but i also believe you can clock a Duel core lower to get better performance and better battery life. Not sure where i heard it, but it makes sense to me! Parallel serial diminishing returns blah blah...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions