1.    #1  
    Since a mobile phone is a great replacement for a digital picture frame, why is it the photo apps are so generic and under appreciated? Android, iOS, and WebOS all lack multi level folder support, categories, and simple editing features they should have. I am not sure if android has upgraded to have rotation, but both ios and webos do not. That is a simple feature all should have. Sublevel support is also important for a better organized viewing experience. iOs does have the best photo album. it allows for syncing folders from the computer and even compressing them on lower res screen ios devices. It also supports geotagging and facial recognition as well as events, but all are mac exclusives which make it much less usefull unless you have a mac. I'd love a way to seperate things in years, have a seperate place for people, and even have the ability to sync outside sources and stream them like have a facebook album, with all the facebook albums in it. ect. All this would require multi level subfolders. Also ios has, atleast for itouch, bundles videos and pictures in the film strip... I don't want that. I like webos which bundles pictures from different sources, as well as videos and they both are in seperate apps. I also believe each album should have a lock option, or maybe there should be a personal album, which is locked by default and does not show any images. but giving the user options to lock individual files of any kind should be aloud.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    I organize my pictures into folders and name them accordingly. I use Internalz to move pictures and rename folders, etc. It also gives you the option to "hide in webOS" which will make the images not show in the photo app. I agree though that webOS should have these features in the default photo app itself.
    Not all of that stuff for iOS is mac exclusive, they do make most of the same software available for Windows users, as well.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4.    #4  
    A's far A's I've seen, you cannot use faces, events and places on an Joe device u less you use iPhoto or another Mac photo program. There's no way to use those organization features on device which stinks
    Picasa (Google) has face recognition. I am not sure about the years etc but you should check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Since a mobile phone is a great replacement for a digital picture frame, why is it the photo apps are so generic and under appreciated? Android, iOS, and WebOS all lack multi level folder support, categories, and simple editing features they should have. I am not sure if android has upgraded to have rotation, but both ios and webos do not.
    Android's native editing features in its "Gallery" app include: Tags, rotation, brightness/contrast, color & saturation, effects (B&W, sepia, negative, solarize, oil painting, lomo, red channel, green channel, blue channel), resize, crop, dd text, add clipart. I'd say Android has some "simple editing features."
    One of the difficulties with doing a photos app on webOS currently is the lack of API access for official apps. Have you tried either of my apps yet? The homebrew version is able to sort your local photos into albums that you can then play as slideshows or use as a source for automated wallpaper rotation. Not everything you have on your wishlist is there, but I'd love to hear what features you do or don't like.

You can use the links in my signature to check out the apps.
    would really like having the ability to password lock a special folder of photos on the phone.

I'm going to give the Homebrew app above a try too.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard83 View Post
    would really like having the ability to password lock a special folder of photos on the phone.

I'm going to give the Homebrew app above a try too.
    You can't password lock them on WebOS, but you could hide the folder. Either via USB or Internalz, just put a . in front of the folder name. Then it won't show, when someone browses.

However, you can always find it, via Internalz or your computer.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    There is a app, photo safe I think was the name. Used it in my pre. Put pictures in and password protected.I have similar one on android but for some reason I forgot my password.lol.

Sent using taptalk.
    Android has tons of photo editing built in...plus 3rd party apps to do even more stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    There is a app, photo safe I think was the name. Used it in my pre. Put pictures in and password protected.I have similar one on android but for some reason I forgot my password.lol.
    I'll bet Brett Favre wishes he'd had a phone that could do this.
    I bet Farve wishes for a lot of things at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    ...why is it the photo apps are so generic and under appreciated?...

...Android, iOS, and WebOS all lack multi level folder support, categories...

...and simple editing features they should have....

...I am not sure if android has upgraded to have rotation...

...iOs... allows for syncing folders from the computer...

...It also supports geotagging and facial recognition as well as events, but all are mac exclusives...
    Let me take just the first six complaints.

Which of the 1400 Android Cameras apps are you referring to? The Adobe Photoshop app is generic? Mashable rated photo apps: 8 Best Android Apps for Photo Editing and so did Lifehacker: The Best Photography Apps for Your Android.

You don't have to go with the advanced editing feature apps. If you want simple editing features, get one of the photo apps for novices.

You did not mention zoom or autofocus, but those are great features to consider in a phone app. Also if you are looking at photos, you might want to consider the screen resolution and screen size.

As to photos in folders, all of my photos are in folders on my EVO and Pre.

Geotagging is also built in and I like Picasa for facial recognition both on my PC and my phone. Who told you that geotagging and facial recognition "all are mac exclusive"?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/29/2010 at 12:20 AM.