• Get a Palm Pre on ebay

6 31.58%
  • Stick with Android

4 21.05%
  • Hopefully new webOS phones come out for Sprint this january 2011

9 47.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well I've finally head down to two phones the htc hero and the palm pre(sprint) I need help if I should get a palm pre, Android OS is realy good with all the apps and widgets but webOS has a great UI and good dual tasking, The htc hero well is a old-gen android device that excludes a lot of features and apps but overall android seems to always grow but the specs arent as great, the app different between the two OS's are huge as android keeps growing it dosent bother me much, Im not shure of getting a palm pre as the hardware rumors I hear is horrible i dont wish to pay for 4g 10$ per a month for sprint for a 1ghz processor phone, The palm pre got kicked off sprint so I must ebay buy it, but as you know I can not get a phone protection plan for a phone bought off ebay So the hardware issue bugs me, I take great care with my phones, What do you guys think? Should I buy a palm pre, stick with my htc hero with a bad proccessor, or wait and hope that on jan 2012 when my upgrade for sprint comes a great webOS phone for sprint(Rumors of sprint going Android Smartphones all the way, not bothering with webOS and least likly the palm pre dieing out and unable to be bought, which I dont think will happen but you never know)
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    The Hero is extremely sluggish in my experience on 1.5 or whatever it came with standard, but I think if you flash a Froyo ROM and overclock the processor it's supposed to be pretty decent. Head over to xda-developers.com to see if you have the stomach for flashing those goodies onto your device.

It's kind of the same story with the Pre in my opinion, in that Govnah makes it a pretty decent device with some noticeable lag still lingering here and there, but the modification process is relative child's play thanks to webOS Internals and Canuck Coding.

Android definitely has a huge leg up on webOS in terms of available applications. There's no doubt about that. I think it kind of depends where you're coming from, though; if you're coming from a feature phone they should both suit your needs because they'll both be exciting new experiences. If that's the case I would just go with a Pre.

Really I don't know...both choices aren't great, but both can be had on the cheap second-hand so it's really no big risk either way. And who says you can't get Sprint insurance on eBay phones? I haven't tried in a year or so, but they didn't mind back then.
    Lets just say that the rumors of webOS's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Android is a good OS with a lot of loyal users and lots of apps, but webOS is a superior OS (IMHO). But having said that, the only thing webOS is currently lacking is cutting edge hardware. The purchase of Palm by HP took some time, but now they are gearing up to announce new hardware either at, or a couple of weeks after CEC in January (rumor has it that it will happen between Jan 6 and Feb 14 events).

My personal suggestion would be to either grab the Pre off of eBay and overclock it (easy and makes it a new phone). Otherwise, if you can wait I would strongly encourage you to hang on and see what happens with HP announcing new hardware (hopefully by the end of next month). <<fingers crossed>>
    you can get phone protection on an ebay phone, but deductable applies. Webos is always worth waiting for.

-shag-
    You can get the same insurance for used phones from Ebay, as you do on any phone purchased new, through Sprint. You just have to make sure to add it in the first $30 days and the same deductibles will apply, just as if you bought it new from them.

I've done this for years.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    bottom line is the hero is a slow phone, even overclocked. your better off with the pre running the uber kernel at 1ghz. trust me as ive owned both phones. if you really want a decent phone buy an evo.
    Get the EVO.

Half a year after release, it's still a top of the line device.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Lets just say that the rumors of webOS's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Android is a good OS with a lot of loyal users and lots of apps, but webOS is a superior OS (IMHO). But having said that, the only thing webOS is currently lacking is cutting edge hardware. The purchase of Palm by HP took some time, but now they are gearing up to announce new hardware either at, or a couple of weeks after CEC in January (rumor has it that it will happen between Jan 6 and Feb 14 events).

My personal suggestion would be to either grab the Pre off of eBay and overclock it (easy and makes it a new phone). Otherwise, if you can wait I would strongly encourage you to hang on and see what happens with HP announcing new hardware (hopefully by the end of next month). <<fingers crossed>>
    The ONLY thing?

I think thats setting up WebOS to be in better shape than it is. Things WebOS is is great UI and usage...also artistically pleasant and superior to android i think....however the half *** SDK and hobbled together PDK and lack of important API's are huge issues that should be of concern for any future webos owners.

They wouldn't be an issue if Palm was more open in what they were working on outside of just new devices...but also SDK improvements. Without improvements as well as better developer support you simply won't see apps that are on EVERY other platform (including Blackberry) like Shazam.

On topic: I wouldn't get either...hold off. If you HAD too...I'd only get the Hero if you decide to root it and load up Froyo....if not then get the Palm Pre...just be aware of the issues you may face with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    Get the EVO.

Half a year after release, it's still a top of the line device.
    yeah it is but in a few more months the devs will move to newer phones. it always happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The ONLY thing?

I think thats setting up WebOS to be in better shape than it is. Things WebOS is is great UI and usage...also artistically pleasant and superior to android i think....however the half *** SDK and hobbled together PDK and lack of important API's are huge issues that should be of concern for any future webos owners.

They wouldn't be an issue if Palm was more open in what they were working on outside of just new devices...but also SDK improvements. Without improvements as well as better developer support you simply won't see apps that are on EVERY other platform (including Blackberry) like Shazam.

On topic: I wouldn't get either...hold off. If you HAD too...I'd only get the Hero if you decide to root it and load up Froyo....if not then get the Palm Pre...just be aware of the issues you may face with it.
    I agree with both the off topic and (especially) on topic comments in this post. The recommendation is sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    yeah it is but in a few more months the devs will move to newer phones. it always happens.
    What do you mean by "the devs will move to newer phones"? The devs develop for Android and all indications point to the EVO having an upgrade path to the next Android version. How are devs going to "move to newer phones"?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    What do you mean by "the devs will move to newer phones"? The devs develop for Android and all indications point to the EVO having an upgrade path to the next Android version. How are devs going to "move to newer phones"?
    are you kidding me? the evo is 6 months old. gingerbread will most likely be the last update for it. look what happened to the hero for example. sprint will have new devices coming out in 2011 and alot of devs will be upgrading. example: the evo shift 4g, wp7 devices, other newer android phones coming. it always happens my man. i suggest you read the polls at xda and see what i mean. plus even though most will not admit it, i bet alot will get the cdma iphone when it launches. this is where palm/hp need to step in and launch some darn good webos phones in 2011 if they want to even try to survive.

the tech world doesn't stand still just because you do.
    Meanwhile, back at the topic... The OP didn't ask about the EVO.

We already have a bunch of EVO VS Pre threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Meanwhile, back at the topic... The OP didn't ask about the EVO.

We already have a bunch of EVO VS Pre threads.
    i was merely pointing out that the OP should stick to an overclocked pre or pre+ or get an evo. IMO the hero is not a worthy upgrade anymore.

another android suggestion to the OP would be the lg optimus s from sprint. it can be overclocked to 800mhz and is a big step up above the hero.
    Last edited by fixxxer1022; 12/27/2010 at 10:30 AM.
    are you kidding me? the evo is 6 months old. gingerbread will most likely be the last update for it. look what happened to the hero for example. sprint will have new devices coming out in 2011 and alot of devs will be upgrading. example: the evo shift 4g, wp7 devices, other newer android phones coming. it always happens my man. i suggest you read the polls at xda and see what i mean. plus even though most will not admit it, i bet alot will get the cdma iphone when it launches. this is where palm/hp need to step in and launch some darn good webos phones in 2011 if they want to even try to survive.
    Wow. I really was "asking" you what you meant.

Anyway, I disagree with you based on what I've read about the plans for Gingerbread. I also see that perhaps you meant "manufacturers" rather than "devs" since I'm not seeing "devs" leave, or migrate toward any specific device. A dev codes to an API level and tests on as many of the devices that supports that API level as possible. Or maybe you are referring to devs more in relation to rooting support for a specific device? Still not sure based on your "answer".

the tech world doesn't stand still just because you do.
    Uhm...time for a reduction in caffeine intake I think.
    i was merely pointing out that the OP should stick to an overclocked pre or pre+ or get an evo. IMO the hero is not a worthy upgrade anymore.

another android suggestion to the OP would be the lg optimus s from sprint. it can be overclocked to 800mhz and is a big step up above the hero.
    my comment about staying on topic was not specifically directed at you, but at th general direction.
    Wow. I really was "asking" you what you meant.

Anyway, I disagree with you based on what I've read about the plans for Gingerbread. I also see that perhaps you meant "manufacturers" rather than "devs" since I'm not seeing "devs" leave, or migrate toward any specific device. A dev codes to an API level and tests on as many of the devices that supports that API level as possible. Or maybe you are referring to devs more in relation to rooting support for a specific device? Still not sure based on your "answer".

apparently you do not spend alot of time on xda to even know where im coming from. on there it's all about owning the best device and modding it until the next new device comes out. it's just the way the tech world works im afraid. not many stick with the same phone for 2 years. i give the evo maybe 3-4 more months and the development will pretty much be at a stand still. as i said look what happened to the sprint htc hero. usually after a year a phone becomes a legacy device, sorta like the palm pre.

no denying that but what i said is the truth. it's the same when it comes to pc's. everytime you upgrade there's always something better coming out.
    apparently you do not spend alot of time on xda to even know where im coming from.
    A lot of time? No. I'm a developer but I'm not part of the hacking/modding community. I do visit XDA from time to time, but since I'm not rooted, and won't be for a while, you are correct in that I "do not spend a lot of time there." (not suggesting that rooting is the only thing that goes on there)

on there it's all about owning the best device and modding it until the next new device comes out. it's just the way the tech world works im afraid. not many stick with the same phone for 2 years. i give the evo maybe 3-4 more months and the development will pretty much be at a stand still. as i said look what happened to the sprint htc hero. usually after a year a phone becomes a legacy device, sorta like the palm pre.
    OK, thanks. As I've stated, I'm a developer but not an active modder/hacker by any stretch. When I see a reference to "devs" I don't automatically think "hacking/modding" but rather general app development. That's why I asked for clarification; since a statement like "the devs will move to another phone" does not paint an accurate picture for general app development. Also, even if the "hacking/modding" community moves on from a device, said device is not automatically worthless to the general consumer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast