Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dot1ne
  1.    #1  
    What are some of the more advanced developers thoughts on porting WebOS to an Android device. I know there were some murmurs across the interwebs of an HTC Hero receiving a port, but nothing really came out of that.
    Both Android and WebOS are monolithic kernels of Linux and probably would require a major amount of hacking but just imagining WebOS on the Nexus S...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    My thoughts are...

Illegal.

Won't happen.
    I don't want it.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'd love to see that day, a Nexus S running a WebOS 2.0 now that'll be a hit!
    un_designer likes this.
    Nope. Betting this thread gets locked soon enough.
    No need to lock it unless people start posting copy righted materials.

As to the Opening Post, there would need to be a reason to replace Android 2.3 with webOS. What feature does webOS have that Android 2.3 lacks? And soon Honeycomb?

See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. There are apps to give you cards if that is what you want. Otherwise multitasking is automatic. Notifications take up no screen space. It's had Just Type for a year.

To have webOS on a Nexus S, you would have to give up: Speech recognition, Speech to text, Voice Search, Voice Actions, Folders, dozens of browsers, Shazam, Barcode Scanner, Widgets, Live Wallpaper, Auto-focus, zoom, Nook, Kindle, Bump, Skype, Swype, dozens of great keyboards, and 100,000 other apps.

Google Maps opens in a second in Android, about 6 times faster than a 1 GHz Pre. Facebook is 4 times as fast.

What would they gain with webOS that would be worth removing Android 2.3?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    See the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. There are apps to give you cards if that is what you want. Otherwise multitasking is automatic. Notifications take up no screen space. It's had Just Type for a year.
    I've read that page, and thank you for writing it to make the learning curve less steep. However, I do need to point out that the card app launcher is far from a replacement for webOS's multitasking. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it to figure something out, but I think that LauncherPro is more productive than the card thingy. The way that it scrolls the bottom icon bar is something that webOS should seriously look at if it isn't in 2.0 already.

What would they gain with webOS that would be worth removing Android 2.3?
    If the secret killer webOS functionality that HP/Palm are going to announce at CES is an Android app compatibility layer, the answer is lots of things. With everyone in the know around here typing "No Droid Applications" (NDA) on all speculative posts, I'm pretty sure that this isn't in the works.....
    Last edited by vreihen; 12/26/2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Thing I miss the most is cards. Would prefer to have cards running in the background that I can access easily. Lol don't miss not having apps. Love the variety of apps available with android.
    I do not want to give up Swype for swipe.
    Craig, I'll tell you:

- More intuituve and attractive UI
    - Better stock music app
    - Less complicated patching
    - Much easier doctoring/wiping process
    - No version fragmentation
    - Gestures > buttons
    - Some versions of apps are better (Facebook, Pandora)
    - More advanced 3d games

Android's user experience and UI navigation is the least consistent, attractive, and enjoyable of all the most modern smartphone platforms
    (iOS, Android, WP7). Just my opinion, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by weenarz1176 View Post
    Craig, I'll tell you:

- More intuituve and attractive UI: An opinion that's not widely held
    - Better stock music app: An opinion that's not widely held - and immaterial given the range of free alternatives in Android
    - Less complicated patching: Most webOS patches not required in Android which is even more simple than patching
    - Much easier doctoring/wiping process: It's a menu choice in Android - what's easier than that?
    - No version fragmentation: 84% of Androids are on Version 2.1 or 2.2. Are 81% of all Pres on 1.45 (Hint: None of the French Pre 2s are on webOS 1.45)? Now that I think about it, how long has it been since webOS has had an update pushed out? 6 months?
    - Gestures > buttons: Buttons are instantaneous - gestures hesitate from 0.5-2.0 seconds before responding..
    - Some versions of apps are better (Facebook, Pandora): An opinion that's not widely held - many webOS versions of apps are worse or non-existent.
    - More advanced 3d games: Year old news that is now incorrect (Link, Link, et al).

Android's user experience and UI navigation is the least consistent, attractive, and enjoyable of all the most modern smartphone platforms
    (iOS, Android, WP7). Just my opinion, of course. And worth every penny of it.
    ...just sayin...
    Why oh why would anyone do this port Android to the Touchpad? What happen to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    Wow, this is a golden oldie thread.

We found out in the end that the guy claiming to be doing this was a fraud. webOS is closed source and can't be copied to another platform without permission.