Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Man he started going nuts towards the end of the list. Video game addiction, really? New stuff gets old quick? We aren't 12 year old kids.

The new iPad is going to be here in March at the earliest. It's not like the new model is right around the corner or Apple's yearly release cycle is a big secret.

I do not feel like the iPad is overpriced considering how much it does, and each thing it can do it does extremely well. I have had mine for months now and it still blows me away when I use it.

The iPad makes you look at the entire tech industry and see how far we have come from PC's being built in silcon valley garages.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I dont think its a good decision to buy an ipad right now either. March is only three months away and spec leaks are coming any week now. My wife got me a EVO for X-Mass and i am tempted to keep it and try it out, but its a 6 month old device and duel cores are around the corner. Maybe i am just weired though.
    I agree Titan. Getting an iPad now would just be stupid. The iPad 2 is comming out not too long from now, with rumors pointing at 2 cameras, and a higher res screen. That means hundreds of things that the iPad 2 can do that the iPad 1 can't, including things like video chat, and the higher res screen means sharper picture viewing, sharper video/movie watching, sharper games, and a better web browsing experience. And if none of this interests you, the price sure will. When the iPad 2 comes out, surely the iPad 1's price will drop a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I dont think its a good decision to buy an ipad right now either. March is only three months away and spec leaks are coming any week now. My wife got me a EVO for X-Mass and i am tempted to keep it and try it out, but its a 6 month old device and duel cores are around the corner. Maybe i am just weired though.
    That's what I would do if my wife got me the Droid X at this point. Keep it for the 30 days and return it and get the rumored Incredible HD that will be announced at CES. Sounds like it's just an LTE Evo, but hopefully they did some upgrades on the internals. I have never really been impressed with the Snapdragon SoC's, but it looks like WP7 runs on them well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Whether you buy an ipad now depends upon the situation. If you are giving it as a gift to parents, who may not be interested in the rumored new features, there is nothing wrong with that.

The article itself is just another ambulance chaser trying to be "different". What you don't know is that his signature says: Sent from my iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    ... My wife got me a EVO for X-Mass and i am tempted to keep it and try it out, but its a 6 month old device and duel cores are around the corner. Maybe i am just weired though.
    In all the specs on all the new phones and tablets, I don't see any capabilities not already in the EVO. I have now logged hours with a friend's iPad. There is nothing that I can do on her iPad that I can't do on my EVO. And I don't need to carry a backpack.

The EVO is a tablet that fits in your pocket.

The EVO brings up Google Maps in a second even under 3G. It is so fast that you turn on animation to slow it down. Plus HTC is very good at keeping their phones updated. You can type so much faster in SwiftKey than on a physical keyboard. But Apple and Palm do not allow the next generation keyboard apps.

What will the new phones and tablets coming in the next 6 months do that we can't do today? What capabilities are you hoping for?

In a year, Premier accounts can update again. I am less than 6 months away from being able to update again if I want. Instead of hoping for something else to appear, I have been having fun getting to play with all the apps Palm has locked out of webOS. But there is not even a rumor of a new iPad or anything else that can do more than an EVO.

Regrets are about what you didn't do.
    I find these sorts of articles both amusing and perplexing. It seems like a strange mission to tell people why they shouldn't buy a piece of gear that is well made with attention to detail, durable, cost effective, well loved by the people who own it, and has stood the test of time throughout its lifecycle. By all means, DON'T buy such a product.

I also never see these types of articles about non-Apple products. On this board, I never saw threads by the Palm faithful warning against buying the first-generation Pre, or holding off to see what would be released in the coming months, or to wait and see if it gains traction in the marketplace, or any such warnings. The same goes for Android and Windows products. Only Apple products require a "Do not buy" warning label. Hmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I find these sorts of articles both amusing and perplexing. It seems like a strange mission to tell people why they shouldn't buy a piece of gear that is well made with attention to detail, durable, cost effective, well loved by the people who own it, and has stood the test of time throughout its lifecycle. By all means, DON'T buy such a product.

I also never see these types of articles about non-Apple products. On this board, I never saw threads by the Palm faithful warning against buying the first-generation Pre, or holding off to see what would be released in the coming months, or to wait and see if it gains traction in the marketplace, or any such warnings. The same goes for Android and Windows products. Only Apple products require a "Do not buy" warning label. Hmmm...
    Uh...that's not what the article was about. It was an editorial rant on why he didn't want the product, and it's purposefully provocative to get page views. The only "don't buy iPad/iPhone" articles I have ever seen in the entirety of the 'Net are the point/counterpoint ones Gizmodo runs whenever a major new Apple release hits. So if they run a "25 reasons not buy i______" article, it's right next to an "25 reasons to buy i______" article.
    Sorry, but this is just a stupid hit piece. For those who didn't bother to read it, here are the points:

1. It'll Be Cheaper Next Year
    Wow, that's some insight. It applies to every product you buy. In the case of most CE products, It will be cheaper next month. Apple products hold value much longer, on average.

2. It's Going to Be Better Next Year
    Wow! So, we shouldn't buy products that will be updated next year.

3. Check Out Those Profit Margins!
    At this point, he is not even trying to make a reasonable argument. It is all about anti-Apple politics. Apple makes too much money and runs their business better than everyone else. It's not right or fair. In his world, companies should make as little profit as possible. Everyone should be in the race to the bottom.

4. Competitors Are Coming
    The heck, you say? Competitors? Really? What happens when your favorite competitor comes out with a product? Does this argument still apply. After all, no matter what product you buy, competitors are coming. It is code for, "wait until there is something comparable from someone other than Apple."

5. No Flash
    Shall we count the mobile devices currently on the market that offer a good Flash experience? I wonder how many products he owns that do not run Flash at all. Yep, the lack of Flash is a real problem... for Adobe!

6. The Cost of the Add-Ons
    Huh? Should the iPad ship with a free keyboard? Should there be no aftermarket peripherals? Is he just jealous of the thriving iDevice ecosystem that, largely, does not exist for other products? I don't suppose any other products will have aftermarket products people will have to pay for.

7. The Games
    I really wanted to quote the full text just for this point, because otherwise, you just will not believe it. In a nutshell, iPad games are just too good and addictive. People are losing productivity to the games. In his world, it is bad to have fun games. The only good use of such a device should be reading important news stories and making spreadsheets, or some such nonsense.

8. The Waste
    Yes, folks, whatever you do on an iPad is a waste of time and resources. Nevermind that every other competitor is trying to duplicate the iPad experience at a similar price. Only the iPad is a waste.

9. It'll Get Boring
    As you can see, he has completely gone off the rails by this point. Sure, it is cool now, but eventually, you will get tired of it. While that is generally true of EVERYTHING, the general trend is that people have enjoyed their iPad more, over time. Again, what is he smoking? Will you not get bored of competing products as well?

10. The Whole Apple Cult is Starting to Creep Me Out
    Finally, the last bastion of the Apple hater. Those people are crazy, and I don't want to be associated with them. By the way, Steve Jobs is a mean man.

There you have it. Ten "great" reasons why you shouldn't even think about getting an iPad. I stand by my earlier post.
    Dude...it's his personal opinion on why he personally doesn't want one. As such, no reason is a "bad" or "good" one. You probably put more effort into your ranting than he did his, only he's getting paid to do that.

Plus, I don't think The Wall Street Journal - home to Walt "I luvs me some Apple" Mossberg - is intentionally putting out a "hit piece" against the iPad. It's ok, man. Lord Jobs is pleased with your loyalty, but (waves hand) this is not the anti-Apple rant you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Dude...it's his personal opinion on why he personally doesn't want one. As such, no reason is a "bad" or "good" one. You probably put more effort into your ranting than he did his, only he's getting paid to do that.

Plus, I don't think The Wall Street Journal - home to Walt "I luvs me some Apple" Mossberg - is intentionally putting out a "hit piece" against the iPad. It's ok, man. Lord Jobs is pleased with your loyalty, but (waves hand) this is not the anti-Apple rant you are looking for.
    Dude... the fact that it is his opinion does not make it immune from being bad or good. Contrary to popular opinion, not all opinions are created equally. The problem is not his opinions, but his arguments. They are categorically bad. Further, I suspect ANY thought put into a rebuttal is MORE thought than he put into his article.

Yes, Lord Jobs is quite pleased. Seriously, even you can see this article is a piece of garbage. Still, I suppose we have agreed a lot in other threads. It's time to cross swords again. Sigh, couldn't you have picked a better battle?
    Dude... the fact that it is his opinion does not make it immune from being bad or good. Contrary to popular opinion, not all opinions are created equally. The problem is not his opinions, but his arguments. They are categorically bad. Further, I suspect ANY thought put into a rebuttal is MORE thought than he put into his article.

Yes, Lord Jobs is quite pleased. Seriously, even you can see this article is a piece of garbage. Still, I suppose we have agreed a lot in other threads. It's time to cross swords again. Sigh, couldn't you have picked a better battle?
    I'm not "crossing swords". I don't even see the point of "pulling a sword". That's precisely my point. If some off-the-cuff brief diatribe from a nobody writer irks you this much, you must have heart palpitations and see stars when someone sits down to make a more structured argument.

The iPad is clearly not for everybody, and it's clearly not for this writer. His home publication - the WSJ - has done plenty to show people the benefits and virtues of Apple products. Counterpoint's allowed whether you think it bad or good. You think it garbage on its ostensible merits, when in fact your outrage shows that it's remarkably effective and has achieved the exact purpose of its publication.
    Further, I suspect ANY thought put into a rebuttal is MORE thought than he put into his article.
    But a rebuttal on a remote forum is really just an untargeted rant by any other definition.

I thought his article was fine. Some of his reasons will resonate with some folks and some will not. And some of his reasons will trigger a random rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not "crossing swords". I don't even see the point of "pulling a sword". That's precisely my point. If some off-the-cuff brief diatribe from a nobody writer irks you this much, you must have heart palpitations and see stars when someone sits down to make a more structured argument.

The iPad is clearly not for everybody, and it's clearly not for this writer. His home publication - the WSJ - has done plenty to show people the benefits and virtues of Apple products. Counterpoint's allowed whether you think it bad or good. You think it garbage on its ostensible merits, when in fact your outrage shows that it's remarkably effective and has achieved the exact purpose of its publication.
    It seems to me that, in the spirit of a PC forum thread, I commented on the merits of an article that was posted for discussion. You have only commented on my commenting. A person with thinner skin might get offended and ask you to back off on personal attacks. A mod might even suggest you stay on topic and discuss the article, not the people posting about it.

Fortunately, I have a thick skin, and I don't think you will have any problem with the mods. I love mods!

As far as the effectiveness of the article, I suspect it is an example of successful link-bait. Bashing a successful Apple product is a proven formula for getting hits. It still does not make the content of the article anything other than garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    But a rebuttal on a remote forum is really just an untargeted rant by any other definition.

I thought his article was fine. Some of his reasons will resonate with some folks and some will not. And some of his reasons will trigger a random rant.
    This was not some disjointed rant. This has been a response to a thread on a discussion board. The OP posted the article with the commentary that he was in complete agreement. I did not attack the OP, but dissected the content of the article. That is the right response in this forum.

You say you thought the article was fine. Fine. Care to elaborate on what was so fine about the article? Mostly, all he said was that he hates Apple, so he doesn't want an iPad. If he had said just that, the article would have been fine. Instead, he tried to present his hate as a well-reasoned set of arguments. As I have already pointed out, those arguments are beyond silly. I can't wait to read your defense of them.
    It seems to me that, in the spirit of a PC forum thread, I commented on the merits of an article that was posted for discussion. You have only commented on my commenting. A person with thinner skin might get offended and ask you to back off on personal attacks. A mod might even suggest you stay on topic and discuss the article, not the people posting about it.
    Actually, I have referenced the article, its context, and/or its point of origin in each of my replies, so...no. Not even close. Additionally, my replies aren't about you personally, but rather:

1) That you were incorrect in calling the article a "Don't buy Apple" article when it clearly is nothing of the sort.
    2) That your response is the point of the article, not making a definitive argument as to why you should or shouldn't buy an iPad.

I mean...they got you, Dan. You did exactly what they wanted you to do. That's not an attack. It's an observation.
    You say you thought the article was fine. Fine. Care to elaborate on what was so fine about the article? Mostly, all he said was that he hates Apple, so he doesn't want an iPad. If he had said just that, the article would have been fine. Instead, he tried to present his hate as a well-reasoned set of arguments. As I have already pointed out, those arguments are beyond silly. I can't wait to read your defense of them.
    Summary: The author of the linked article, in your opinion, "hates Apple." Consequently his arguments cannot be well-reasoned since hate tosses reason right out the door. It makes me wonder - do you hate that article? For those of us who read the article for entertainment - and silliness can be entertaining - each of his points were variously entertaining.

Do you argue the merits of the reasoning in a Dave Barry column? Do you find Chris Rock's reasoning to lack merit? Do those two examples require defense for them to pass muster with you? Like I said previously, instead of writing an untargeted (i.e. not directed at anyone who cares about it) rant, why not focus your efforts on the column's author? Here's his email address: brett.arends@wsj.com

P.S. Happy Festivus dandbj13!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In all the specs on all the new phones and tablets, I don't see any capabilities not already in the EVO. I have now logged hours with a friend's iPad. There is nothing that I can do on her iPad that I can't do on my EVO. And I don't need to carry a backpack.

The EVO is a tablet that fits in your pocket.

The EVO brings up Google Maps in a second even under 3G. It is so fast that you turn on animation to slow it down. Plus HTC is very good at keeping their phones updated. You can type so much faster in SwiftKey than on a physical keyboard. But Apple and Palm do not allow the next generation keyboard apps.

What will the new phones and tablets coming in the next 6 months do that we can't do today? What capabilities are you hoping for?

In a year, Premier accounts can update again. I am less than 6 months away from being able to update again if I want. Instead of hoping for something else to appear, I have been having fun getting to play with all the apps Palm has locked out of webOS. But there is not even a rumor of a new iPad or anything else that can do more than an EVO.

Regrets are about what you didn't do.
    I could be wrong, but i dont think the EVO has a Gyroscope, Snapdragons were being talked about at this time last year, and in general i just like webOS better from what i have played with so far. I will play with roms and what not over the coming weeks, but from picking it up and trying to use it I think webOS has a cleaner thought process. Animated backgrounds are fun to play with though
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Summary: The author of the linked article, in your opinion, "hates Apple." Consequently his arguments cannot be well-reasoned since hate tosses reason right out the door.
    Nope. There are many good reasons to hate many things. I'm sure there are some good reasons to hate the iPad. He just didn't give any of them.

For those of us who read the article for entertainment - and silliness can be entertaining - each of his points were variously entertaining.
    If silliness in arguments is the measure of entertainment, it was the most entertaining article I have read in a long time.

Do you argue the merits of the reasoning in a Dave Barry column? Do you find Chris Rock's reasoning to lack merit?
    I find those sources to be veritable hotbeds of reason by comparison.

Like I said previously, instead of writing an untargeted (i.e. not directed at anyone who cares about it) rant, why not focus your efforts on the column's author? Here's his email address: brett.arends@wsj.com
    If no one here cared about the article, it wouldn't be the subject of a thread on a discussion board.

P.S. Happy Festivus dandbj13!
    Admittedly, I had to look up the reference. On reflection, I hardily approve. Happy Festivus, indeed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast