Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why not to buy an iPad
    iPad 2 features a thinner bezel, flat back, and chunky wide-range speaker? -- Engadget

Why i will be returning my new EVO
    LG Optimus 2X dual-core Android phone hits Europe in January -- Engadget

Old is old. If i were going to jump ship at this point it would have to be for a new flagship device there is no reason to try and jump ship with old tech.

My opinion is that the iPad is mostly a me to device and who wants a me to device that looks different. Then you become part of the "me to sad group" instead of the "me to happy group".

The argument that they are great devices and can do everything you need them to do is valid, just not for me! My Pre can do everything i need it to do but i still desire more.

I do agree that for apple the timing of the release is smart for them, but for the consumer its no fun. I would have liked to give them as presents because even though i am not a fan of apple others are and would have appreciated them, but i could not spend full price on something that will be discounted/upgraded soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I would have liked to give them as presents because even though i am not a fan of apple others are and would have appreciated them, but i could not spend full price on something that will be discounted/upgraded soon.
    For the record, I did not buy iPads for my family for the same reasons. I am the only one in my family who is in the know about these things. I understand the product cycle, and believe a newer model to be on the way very soon. Immediately after announcing the new model, the old ones will likely be discounted.

I also suspect FaceTime will be available on 3G on all iOS devices. That changes everything. My wife loves my iPad, and still may get it, depending on what is offered in the next month or so.

For most people, these early-adopter concerns are non-issues. The current iPad has plenty of life in it for consumers and enterprise. The writer of the article in question did not even want one as a gift. It had nothing to do with anticipation for the next one with new features. He just doesn't like Apple.

As for my current iPad, my intention is to repurpose it as a home automation appliance. We shall see.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Think this article sums up pretty much why I do not want a IPAD for Christmas. There was some points that had me but it gets the point across.
    Anyone who agrees with the points in this article, what exactly do you want for Christmas? What item on your list is not equally eliminated by these silly arguments? It can't be something with fun games, or that would waste time and money, or that you will get bored with, or that will be updated soon after, or that will have a price drop, or that will have competitors that might soon offer something better... You get the idea.
    It is scattershot, to be sure, but there are points that challenge the purchase of an iPad - legitimately - and those that challenge the purchase of pretty much any cell phone our computer, which is silly.

That distinction matters.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Anyone who agrees with the points in this article, what exactly do you want for Christmas? What item on your list is not equally eliminated by these silly arguments? It can't be something with fun games, or that would waste time and money, or that you will get bored with, or that will be updated soon after, or that will have a price drop, or that will have competitors that might soon offer something better... You get the idea.
    A bicycle (no lies) and of course my kids to have a great Christmas.

Some of the guys arguments overlap and are over the top but get a point across.

Take #7 - Games #8 - The Waste I currently know a few adults who do not need tech like the ipad. They are already what most consider basement dwellers and giving them IPADs would make it worse. I could honestly see one of them losing their job over having the ability to game/surf the web while away from home.
    "Why I don't want an iPad for Christmas"

Because I want a PalmPad, and it wasn't available before Christmas (2_ _ _).
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    "Why I don't want an iPad for Christmas"

Because I want a PalmPad, and it wasn't available before Christmas
    I have no problem with that answer. If only the writer of the article had been so straightforward. If I wanted to pick a fight, I might ask why you want a pPad. I might wonder what you think that unannounced pPad will do that the unannounced iPad 2 will not. I might wonder if this is just a matter of brand loyalty and/or hatred; do you genuinely want a tablet for some purpose the iPad does not fill, or do you just want an iPad with a non-Apple logo on it?

If I were in a mood to pick a fight, I might ask those questions. Fortunately, I'm not.
    Anyone who agrees with the points in this article, what exactly do you want for Christmas? What item on your list is not equally eliminated by these silly arguments?
    All-Clad Stainless 13 inch French Skillet with Lid.
    I have no problem with that answer. If only the writer of the article had been so straightforward. If I wanted to pick a fight, I might ask why you want a pPad. I might wonder what you think that unannounced pPad will do that the unannounced iPad 2 will not. I might wonder if this is just a matter of brand loyalty and/or hatred; do you genuinely want a tablet for some purpose the iPad does not fill, or do you just want an iPad with a non-Apple logo on it?

If I were in a mood to pick a fight, I might ask those questions. Fortunately, I'm not.
    Isn't the obvious answer the same things WebOS does that iOS does not?
    Here's one reason to wait. New rumors have again popped up. Wait for the new one and weigh the old against the new. See which one you really want. Likely the price drop on the old one won't be too much though, knowing Apple. Used is another matter though.

BTW, the article is obviously opinion based.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/23/2010 at 12:32 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Meh, to each his/her own I guess. Some of what he says make sense to me. More importantly, it seems all of what he says make sense to "him".

@dandbj13 you can be over the top sometimes about anything that you think is "anti-Apple". That's ironic since you seem to think this author is over the top. I remember our first exchange; you basically attacked me because I said I would consider a wifi-only tablet but wanted to wait until there were multiple products to choose from.

Point: Sometimes, people are actually honest in their opinion and are not always Apple (or insert other platform/company) haters (no matter how ridiculous their opinion may seem to you).
    I don't think my 4yr old is that concerned the ipad 2 might come out soon. She's happy with hers. The screen is awesome for reading and watching videos which is its main purpose.

I know next year we'll see the market flooded with these but i'm more interested in smartphones. Hopefully HP/Palm has this in mind too.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    @dandbj13 you can be over the top sometimes about anything that you think is "anti-Apple". That's ironic since you seem to think this author is over the top. I remember our first exchange; you basically attacked me because I said I would consider a wifi-only tablet but wanted to wait until there were multiple products to choose from.
    Yep.

I'm sure you've noticed that there have been several posts in this thread from people suggesting reasons why they would not buy an iPad right now, and I haven't attacked them. Heck! I have posted a few of my own. If this thread had been about why an iPad is not a good Christmas gift at this time, I would have had no problem with that. My objection is to the article, specifically the absurd points the writer tries to make. I have no general objection to people not wanting an iPad.

My more general objection: (what drives me the most nuts) is hypocrisy. If you are a brand loyalist or hater, then be a loyalist or hater. Own it. Wave the flag and wear the t-shirt. Don't try to couch it in terms of reason and impartiality. I don't mind people hating Apple. By all means, hate them. Just be up front about it. Don't talk about games, and waste of resources, and boredom, and things that apply to every other device on the market.

Those who want to defend the points in the article, please step forward and do so. I contend that the article is disingenuous and absurd. You don't have to defend that fool to state that you don't want an iPad. He is not a fool because he doesn't want an iPad. He is a fool because he is a fool. Just read the article if you don't like my summation. I assure you, the article is even more ridiculous than how I categorize it.

One more thing... Before painting me as an unreasonable Apple fanatic, you might also note that I have not countered with a long list of reasons why an iPad is a good Christmas gift, which I could. That is just not the point of this thread.
    I actually regret selling my iPad before Christmas. I'm glad to hear the rumours that it won't change in screen size. Thank God! I don't want a smaller screen, it kinda defeats the purpose of watching video on it if it were smaller. Things I didn't like about the iPad are the rounded back. I missed Flash a lot and was unable to view a lot of content that required flash. And I wish it had WebOS on it.. Other than that, great product. I think a USB port would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker.

As long as Apple is able to keep the battery life the same or better, I will eventually get another one. Once I find out what comes out at CES of course. If Apple could get flash going on the iPad, i'd ditch my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't think my 4yr old is that concerned the ipad 2 might come out soon. She's happy with hers. The screen is awesome for reading and watching videos which is its main purpose.

I know next year we'll see the market flooded with these but i'm more interested in smartphones. Hopefully HP/Palm has this in mind too.
    4 yr. olds are not adults making buying decisions though. Plus they are happy with anything they get from their parents. Unless they are extememly spoiled. BTW, I think you used to post photos of your other daughter, she's cute.

But anyone looking to buy now should wait IMO because most likely people will have buyer's remorse if the new one comes out in 1st quarter 2011 with better features at the same price range. When you bought yours, it was like mid-2010(if I remember the posts) and there was nothing else that came close.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yep.

I'm sure you've noticed that there have been several posts in this thread from people suggesting reasons why they would not buy an iPad right now, and I haven't attacked them. Heck! I have posted a few of my own. If this thread had been about why an iPad is not a good Christmas gift at this time, I would have had no problem with that. My objection is to the article, specifically the absurd points the writer tries to make. I have no general objection to people not wanting an iPad.

My more general objection: (what drives me the most nuts) is hypocrisy. If you are a brand loyalist or hater, then be a loyalist or hater. Own it. Wave the flag and wear the t-shirt. Don't try to couch it in terms of reason and impartiality. I don't mind people hating Apple. By all means, hate them. Just be up front about it. Don't talk about games, and waste of resources, and boredom, and things that apply to every other device on the market.

Those who want to defend the points in the article, please step forward and do so. I contend that the article is disingenuous and absurd. You don't have to defend that fool to state that you don't want an iPad. He is not a fool because he doesn't want an iPad. He is a fool because he is a fool. Just read the article if you don't like my summation. I assure you, the article is even more ridiculous than how I categorize it.

One more thing... Before painting me as an unreasonable Apple fanatic, you might also note that I have not countered with a long list of reasons why an iPad is a good Christmas gift, which I could. That is just not the point of this thread.

I can defend some of what he says.

1. If you can wait, see what the price drop will be on the old one when the new one comes out. It may be worth it for some. I'd probably just get the new one though, provided the price doesn't get raised too high if they add new features.

2. I said that myself.

3. I have a bit of problem with that too, due to storage limit. More storage really should have been an option. Or the base model could have been a bit less.

4. I do think you should look at several options. Competition is a good thing.

The other stuff he said, I can take it or leave it.

You read waaay too much into my tongue-in-cheek comment - it was not at all Palm fanaticism let alone Apple hatred. I have Sprint, Pre came to Sprint, I bought one, I have been learning to tinker with it and WebOS since. Only Apple stuff I know I have is Quick Time, not because I hate Apple, it's because in the accounting world, Windows based software is what's prevalent. So, ask questions, but don't assume my reasons before I reply.

/em puts on boxing gloves.

Put 'em up!
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 12/23/2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: fanatical word was not accepted.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    So, ask questions, but don't assume my reasons before I reply.

/em puts on boxing gloves.

Put 'em up!
    I surrender. I may have been a bit of a jerk. Sorry about that. I will just reach over and take this chill pill. Oh, crap! That was an Imodium. Either way, it should still slow down the flow of crap.

Happy Festivus.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12