Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Tablet Evolution presented by Motorola

The video features a bee which suggests the Honeycomb version of Android. You didn't think the most anticipated tablet announcement at CES was the PalmPad did you?
    i love it

great vid
    Sure, I guess that's kinda interesting along with Verizon tweeting that they're announcing LTE Android handsets at CES as well. But it pales to Jon Rubinstein sitting down for "chats" talking about things coming "next year" that he's "excited" about. I mean...it's clear that HP Palm is playing for keeps, while Motorola is just struggling to harness the "clunky" Android onto their handsets and tablets.

Wait 'til HP applies scale and leverage to get Verizon to recognize that WebOS is going to be a big priority in 2011. Once that happens...boom.
    In all seriousness, I think this might be the first time I've seen an Android manufacturer take an explicit shot at another Android manufacturer in addition to the iPhone.

Nobody is taking 2011 for granted, it seems. Well, almost....
  5.    #5  
    Now that we're at T minus 2 weeks for CES then we are almost surely in the middle of the CES hype period. That means we really should be hearing something from HP if they are going to participate in the CES hype.

Regarding Android vs. Android, I think all of these manufaucturers consider their version of Android to be their exclusive. I doubt there is an Android manufacturer's alliance where they all try to help each other for the good of the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Regarding Android vs. Android, I think all of these manufaucturers consider their version of Android to be their exclusive. I doubt there is an Android manufacturer's alliance where they all try to help each other for the good of the platform.
    Oh, most certainly.

But it's interesting that HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and the rest were all busy building their own device brands (e.g. Galaxy S, Desire, Evo, Droid), and now I think they each want to battle for Android supremacy. The tablet front is probably going to be the bloodiest area of this war.
    I'm patiently waiting to see if HTC has anything big up their sleeves. IMO they "get" android a bit better than Moto or Sammy. Sense actually IMPROVES the android experience instead of hampering it.
    Tablet Evolution presented by Motorola

The video features a bee which suggests the Honeycomb version of Android. You didn't think the most anticipated tablet announcement at CES was the PalmPad did you?
    Now you see that right there? THAT, not complete silence, is how you build up to something. I have no idea if this tablet will be worth anything but I absolutely am ready to find out.

Note to HP: Use any insect you wish EXCEPT FOR CRICKETS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I'm patiently waiting to see if HTC has anything big up their sleeves. IMO they "get" android a bit better than Moto or Sammy. Sense actually IMPROVES the android experience instead of hampering it.
    I think that becomes less true with each iteration of Android, tho. To me, the aesthetics of Sense are so 2009. I'd rather have a clean Froyo-looking dock (or Launcher Pro...if you're nasty) than three big buttons. I'd also rather go with TweetDeck for Twitter and FB than the combo feeds from Sense or Launcher Pro's equivalent widget. I used to love the music player, but I think Samsung's Touchwiz one with EQ and ondevice playlist creation and editing is better. Finally, the default gallery on Sense devices is WAY behind Froyo's 3D gallery.

This isn't to say that Touchwiz or Blur is the be all, end all. They're not. Touchwiz has plenty of aesthetic nightmare issues, and it's best to just throw LauncherPro on any "custom" Android device if you want the clean, sleek look of the latest Android builds.
    Nice teaser. I found the iPad criticism to be rather weak. Was that really the worst thing they could say about the iPad? It is a giant iPhone. What does that even mean? I am in the process of writing a book on iPhone and iPad accessibility for the blind. I can tell you from a writer's perspective, the two devices have a lot less in common than you think. From a user's perspective, the experiences are quite different. And from a developer's perspective, (so I've heard), programing for them is very different.

So, again, I am struck by the weakness of their argument, and am left wondering what they meant. Also, I would be surprised if Honeycomb is anything more than a more tablet-friendly version of the Android OS we already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Also, I would be surprised if Honeycomb is anything more than a more tablet-friendly version of the Android OS we already know.
    I hate to say this, but i actually agree with this statement

But I LOVE this teaser all the same
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think that becomes less true with each iteration of Android, tho. To me, the aesthetics of Sense are so 2009. I'd rather have a clean Froyo-looking dock (or Launcher Pro...if you're nasty) than three big buttons. I'd also rather go with TweetDeck for Twitter and FB than the combo feeds from Sense or Launcher Pro's equivalent widget. I used to love the music player, but I think Samsung's Touchwiz one with EQ and ondevice playlist creation and editing is better. Finally, the default gallery on Sense devices is WAY behind Froyo's 3D gallery.

This isn't to say that Touchwiz or Blur is the be all, end all. They're not. Touchwiz has plenty of aesthetic nightmare issues, and it's best to just throw LauncherPro on any "custom" Android device if you want the clean, sleek look of the latest Android builds.
    I was actually referring a bit more to their social network integration (browsing friends facebook albums is A LOT better experience via HTC people app than the facebook app).

Additionally other additions like their stock music player and lockscreen, the keyboard and their copy and paste usage (though that was remined a bit with Gingerbread).

Hell my evo looks like:

But purely speaking at a level where an average consumer won't get into launcher pro or Rooting their device, out of the box, i think i just prefer Sense over any other skin.
    I just hope the PalmPad isn't just a big Palm Pre...
  14.    #14  
    Yes, their criticism of the iPad was weak but their slam of the Ten Commandments and the Rosetta Stone were spot-on.
    Yes, their criticism of the iPad was weak but their slam of the Ten Commandments and the Rosetta Stone were spot-on.
    LOL that's what I was thinking. How anyone takes these as "real arguments against a particular tech" is beyond me. Multi-language support, read-only, low resolution, and we get bogged down with the iPhone's "criticism"? Strange.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Random aside - why so many people have that massive HTC clock? it takes up a lot of screen estate and there is a clock above it. I can't work it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Random aside - why so many people have that massive HTC clock? it takes up a lot of screen estate and there is a clock above it. I can't work it out.
    I have it because:
    1. I like it
    2. I get the weather at a glance
    3. I get the date at a glance
    4. I can use it to launch the wether app
    5. I can use it to launch the clock/alarms/timer apps

But yes, the time portion is duplicated. Wish I could remove it from the top bar without rooting.
    Again, my thought is HP will announce and advertise on its terms and I dont think they really care what a few tech geeks from Precentral or any other sites think they should do before their timeframe.

If you think HP has the same model as old Palm, then I am willing to bet you are incorrect. Just b/c all these companies are fighting each other for CES buzz will have NO impact on HP when they take their devices public.

Lets see if engaget, carriers and others are not on board or partnering when HP is ready. I know we all want something already, but I like that HP is sticking to its plan, rather than trying to out rush companies for CES print. They will command print when they are ready.....my opinion.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 12/20/2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I dunno i love it and the full screen weather animations haha. I'm ok with the size as i'd have nothing else to put there really.

PLUS my ROM i'm using has the new HTC sense widget which shows the digits actually flipping which just looks cool.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast