1.    #1  
    Best Buy's website shows that Android phones currently account for 14 of the top 20 best sellers this holiday season. Android has also edged out all but one of the "feature phones" that have been popular in the past.

Three versions of the BlackBerry Torch, as well as one BlackBerry Curve model are also in the top 20. Unlike recent years, Apple only has one model in the top 20, the iPhone 4 - 16 GB. The Palm Pre (ranked #66) beat out the iPhone 3 (#80). HTC takes 5 of the top slots, Samsung has 3, and LG has 4. Motorola does not have any phones in the Best Buy's top 20.

Not surprisingly, "free" phones account for 13 of these top 20 bestsellers. Although the contracts often total $1700 or more, consumers love anything that is "free".

Amazon is showing the same trend with Android taking eight of the top 10 spots. BlackBerry and Windows each have one model in Amazon's top 10.

Even before this latest surge, Google had reported that new Android activations were over 300,000 a day. At that rate, Android would have accounted for 110 million sales a year. We can only guess what Android is at now.

Here are the top 20 best selling phones from Best Buy (with links to Android Central reviews):
    1. Android Google - Nexus S - Black (T-Mobile) $199
    2. Android HTC - DROID Incredible - Black (Verizon) $0
    3. Android HTC - Aria - Black (AT&T) $0
    4. BlackBerry - Torch 9800 - White (AT&T) $0
    5. BlackBerry - Torch 9800 - Black (AT&T) $0
    6. Android LG - Optimus S - Charcoal (Sprint) $0
    7. BlackBerry - Torch 9800 - Red (AT&T) $0
    8. Android LG - Optimus S - Purple (Sprint) $0
    9. Android Sony Ericsson - Xperia - Black (AT&T) $0
    10. Android HTC - EVO 4G - Black (Sprint) $199
    11. Android Sony Ericsson - Xperia - White (AT&T) $0
    12. Android Samsung - Fascinate - Black (Verizon) $0
    13. Apple - iPhone 4 with 16GB Memory - Black (AT&T) $199
    14. Android Samsung - Fascinate - White (Verizon) $49
    15. Android HTC - Hero - Silver (Sprint) $29
    16. BlackBerry - Curve - Graphite Gray (Sprint) $0
    17. Feature phone Samsung - Impression - Blue (AT&T) $0
    18. Android LG - Optimus T - Titanium (T-Mobile) $0
    19. Android Samsung - Vibrant - Black (T-Mobile) $99
    20. Android HTC - EVO 4G - White (Sprint) $199
    Here are the top 10 bestsellers from Amazon (with links to Android Central reviews):
    1. Android HTC - DROID Incredible (Verizon) $0.01
    2. Android Samsung Captivate (AT&T) $0.01
    3. Android Motorola DROID X (Verizon) $119.99
    4. Android HTC - EVO 4G (Sprint) $99.99
    5. BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T) $79.99
    6. Android Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) $99.99
    7. Windows Samsung Focus (AT&T) $149.99
    8. Android Motorola DROID 2 Global, Sapphire (Verizon) $149.99
    9. Android Samsung - Fascinate (Verizon) $39.99
    10. Android Motorola DROID PRO (Verizon) $49.99
    Hmm very intersting. Didn't know the incredible was still selling so strong. Good to see a windows phone on the Amazon list as well.
    I don't know how representitivr BB or amazon is, in terms of cell sale.
    man android is taking over like foreal...
    Why are they listed as the "top 20 best selling phones" when 13of the top 20 are listed at $0?

It seems to me for something to be listed as best selling - buyers need to pay for it.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Why are they listed as the "top 20 best selling phones" when 13of the top 20 are listed at $0?

It seems to me for something to be listed as best selling - buyers need to pay for it.
    While I agree in principle to this, one might say that they are paying for the phone via contract terms.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    This just says that people don't buy iPhones from BB or Amazon. In no universe is the Fascinate outselling the iPhone. I wonder what the number one phone is at the Apple Store or AT&T? Any guesses?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post

Not-yet,

I know that people tell you that you can get things for free but almost nothing is really free.

"Free" is a marketing ploy that has been around forever.
    • Razors are sold below cost to sell the razor blades later.
    • Printers are sold below cost to sell the ink.
    • Cable and satellite receivers are "free" if you sign a contract.
    • Cars are sometimes "free" if you will sign a lease agreement.
    • "Free" phone contracts really cost at least $1,700.

The carriers are not giving the phones away. For almost any phone under $200 they are actually losing money on each sale initially.

Not-yet, all these times you think people got something for free, they really didn't.

As to cell phones, here is the easy way to find out if it was really free. Call and tell the carrier that you want to cancel mid-contract but want to keep your free phone. Would you try that before you say that phones are free?

Sorry.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/20/2010 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Not-yet,
    "Free" phone contracts really cost at least $1,700.
    - Craig
    My only issue with this statement is that the phone plan tends to cost the same whether you chose a "free" phone or not. That $1,700 is still $1,700 whether I get a free phone or a phone for $200. If I like the free phone, I spend $1,700 over 2 years. If I'd rather have the $200 phone, I spend $1,900 (still $1,700 for the plan itself) over two years. It's not like the plan's cost is reduced if I spend more for the phone.
    Keep in mind those free phones are for NEW customers. 3rd party shops really benefit from signing up new customers so thats why they have these deep discounts so often.
    Android, Android, Android......

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    My only issue with this statement is that the phone plan tends to cost the same whether you chose a "free" phone or not. That $1,700 is still $1,700 whether I get a free phone or a phone for $200. If I like the free phone, I spend $1,700 over 2 years. If I'd rather have the $200 phone, I spend $1,900 (still $1,700 for the plan itself) over two years. It's not like the plan's cost is reduced if I spend more for the phone.
    That is what I am saying.

A "free" phone costs about $1700 over 24 months.

A $200 phone costs $1900 over 24 months.

A free phone is about 10% cheaper than a $200 phone. That's 28 cents a day that you really saved on a free phbone vs. a Droid X.

Even if you pay an extra $10 a month for EVO 4G, that's $200 + $240 over 2 years.

That's 60 cents a day savings on the "free" phone vs. an EVO.

You will use your phone every day, all day for the next 730 days.

Life's short. Get what you want.

- Craig