Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    My first ever smart phone was the Palm Pre, so I approached the switch to the Droid (the first one) with the point of view of a Palm user.

Lets get this out first, WebOS is a much simpler and a more fun experience. Nothing beats the vibrance, simplicity and multitasking of a webOS phone. Well, the iphone may be simpler but its multitasking pales in comparison to what webos can do. Android pales in comparison as well (shortcut to last 8 programs running can hardly compare with having 10, 20, 50 cards open).

I ordered a used Droid from ebay to see if I would want to switch to Android for its extensive app library. I wanted to make sure I could manage to multitask and use what I considered a crude and an ugly compared to webos operating system.

WebOS is much simpler phone to manage. You have all you need in 10 or so icons on 3rd page of the app list. Not so in android. There you have a single icon or choice from menu button to settings. There you get lost in a seemingly endless list of choices and sub-menus. The thing is though that the reason for those sub-menus is the seemingly infinite configurability of android OS.

Now I'm not sure if it comes like that from the store, the phone I bought was already rooted and running a custom rom. All I did was load the latest version 6.1.2 of CyanogenMod and Google apps to bring it to Android 2.2.1. Overclocked to 800mhz the droid is neck and neck with 800mhz Palm Pre plus. Technically it should as that is the same microprocessor. But that Davlik JIT compiler Google so heralded doesn't seem to make the android much faster than webos on similar hardware. Some websites loaded a bit faster, google maps loaded at almost identical speeds, web browser itself started at about similar speed, apps loaded at similar speed if speed is your problem, the only solution is the hardware as both operating systems are about as fast

Gmail is much nicer on Android, so are maps and the app catalog. Once configured Android is not such an ugly OS as it comes from the store. In fact it's quite nice. It still can't multitask nearly as nice as webOS, though. Ironic since it has about 25-1 app ratio compared to webOS. Multitasking is not awful though. You can switch between apps using the long press of the home screen. It works pretty well and switching between apps this way is fairly seamless though it's only limited to last 8 programs.

Palms big problem as we all know is the hardware. The droid with its 854x480 resolution can display native websites (read, not mobile versions) quite well. Message boards with small text are no longer such a pain to read. Its much maligned keyboard is much easier to type on and type quickly than Palm Pre's. The droid feels more like a micro computer with a phone built in, while Palm Pre feels like a phone with a micro computer built in. I never thought I'd like the droid's physical keyboard as much as I do, I use it way more than the on-screen one. One thing the droid is not as good in is graphics card. Android looks like crap on this phone compared to Palm Pre. The difference is quite pronounced on the bigger screen. It's also not as smooth though overclocking definitely helps. Both phones run rock solid at 250/800 setting.

And that's pretty much it. Android can be configured to look almost as nice as webos and it's quite baffling that these phone look so crappy in the store. Hardware as much as I tried to separate it here is as important as the software and Palm is severely lacking. Palm also screwed the pooch with WebOS 2.0 not being available right NOW. Apps like skype, shazam, shopsavvy can't run on webos 1.4.5 due to sdk limitations and with this delay it's a question when development of these apps will even begin.

I really enjoyed using webos more than I do the android. Flicking apps off the screen is simply fun. Unfortunately after the novelty has worn off, the reality is that webos is like a 2nd class citizen. Apps for it only get developed after ios and android had their dibs and most of the time they are more expensive as well. Angrybirds seasons is free for android. A lot of other apps are also cheaper and most of all AVAILABLE. Skype, shazam, shopsavvy,Adobe's flash, free navigation (for verizon), accurate GPS (also for verizon). I have a bunch of easy coloring apps for my 3 year old daughter. I couldn't find one free app like that on webos.

Yep, it will take a lot for Palm to win me back. Competitive hardware at this point is not enough.
    Well it's not all accurate. Skype is available on VZ, Adobe is in 2.0 and Simple Paint is a good free coloring app that my 7 & 2 year olds like a lot.
    hp will sell a wesos tablet. if it sells well, developers will jump aboard and webos users will have all the apps they will ever need. if the table does not sell well, then...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well it's not all accurate. Skype is available on VZ, Adobe is in 2.0 and Simple Paint is a good free coloring app that my 7 & 2 year olds like a lot.
    Skype is available on Verizon but not on webos. Androd and blackberry only. Webos 2.0 is not available for original pre users and you can't get Pre2 on Verizon. Finally simple paint is for doodling not a simple coloring app like for example pick your color and fill that on a drawing of tinker bell or mickey mouse or Ice Age characters. Something like that is nowhere to be found on webos.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    hp will sell a wesos tablet. if it sells well, developers will jump aboard and webos users will have all the apps they will ever need. if the table does not sell well, then...
    I hope you're right. Give me a 4" tablet with the apps I mentioned above and accurate GPS. By the time I'm on my next upgrade (by next Christmas) I'm back with WebOS.
    your assessment is fair, but I totaly disagree about the droid's keyboard compared to the pre's. Both are subpar, but the droid's physical keyboard is completely useless.
    I just don't like the look of android
    yea the look of android doesn't do it for me either. Plus it seems really complicated. Either way. I'm sticking with the Pre. Congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Finally simple paint is for doodling not a simple coloring app like for example pick your color and fill that on a drawing of tinker bell or mickey mouse or Ice Age characters. Something like that is nowhere to be found on webos.
    Nowhere to be found? I just opened my app catalog, typed in "coloring book", hit enter, and the very first 2 results are simple coloring apps. They seem to only have generic pictures though, no characters from tv/movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Skype is available on Verizon but not on webos. Androd and blackberry only. Webos 2.0 is not available for original pre users and you can't get Pre2 on Verizon. Finally simple paint is for doodling not a simple coloring app like for example pick your color and fill that on a drawing of tinker bell or mickey mouse or Ice Age characters. Something like that is nowhere to be found on webos.
    read the news dude, skype will be available on pre2 verizon, and older deviced will get webOS 2
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    read the news dude, skype will be available on pre2 verizon, and older deviced will get webOS 2
    How does that help him now? And what sort of time scale are we talking about?days, weeks, months? When is the release date?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    In the coming months..... lol

sent from my Evo 4g using tapatalk pro
    In the coming months...you'll probably be back
    Android is not complicated . its just different. I have used Webos.Iphone.Windows Mobile and Android and find android the best so far. Still have one Pre in the family but just waiting for that to be up .
    This time next year, we'll all be having a very different discussion. Until then, however...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yes I like webos,but android seems pretty simple to me.they both have there pros and cons.the funny thing is for the longest time I listened to people like this and just assumed android was God awful,then I tried it and its pretty nice,easy,and has it's ups and Downs just like any os. After listening to many for the longest time on how awful android is,I was pleasently surprised on how it is just the opposite.yes I would prefer webos but I just decided a bit over a month ago I wanted some sweet hardware and some apps that I actually want to use everyday. Stuff like banking apps,car insurance apps,fantasy football apps,pay pal,blockbuster,Netflix,etc etc,I can go on and on.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Android is not complicated . its just different. I have used Webos.Iphone.Windows Mobile and Android and find android the best so far. Still have one Pre in the family but just waiting for that to be
    up .
    perhaps need to change your screen name to VaccAndroid?
    Hey as I said we still have one Pre in the family ( and a new Centro) . my son .has the Pre but he hates webos so soon it will be gone. Im a old time palm guy. My name isnt vaccWebos. I was a stock holder in Palm . had every Palm phone. I just hated the Pre. Hardware was krap. Apps stank. And the Gimmic of cards wore off on me pretty quick with every too many cards error. I still love palm and just upgraded my wife to a Pink centro. I have zero loyalty to HP. Could care less . I will try out the new WEBOS Slates and will try out any new webos phone to see if they got any better. Im not married to Android either. I use what suits me. Im going with a ANdroid tablet but if the next webos phone is better then what I have then I will get it. I just dont understand only usuing one brand and not wanting another if its better.

Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    perhaps need to change your screen name to VaccAndroid?
    Android is awesome. Webos is wonderful but the hardware just sucks. My evo is still solid as in extremely SOLID! I love the way it feels. No moving parts and more apps. When webos gets better hardware and more apps, ill be back. It doesn't seem like Palm is even bothering to put out a phone with a sense of urgency anyways so I guess its march for webos. They could have atleast just released some specs to keep people happy. But the Evo is solid! It's funny that people want an epic. The epic looks cheap and the moving parts makes the phone look like a toy. Evo is a better build and you'll get used to the keyboard sooner than later. I love the evo for now because I won't be left in the cold when new apps come out. Plus the phone is extremely solid! HTC and sprint got a winner. But i will like to thank all the great devs here for making my pre fun while I had it.

Sent From My HTC EVO 4G Using Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Have one,looks good,feels good,works good,pretty much looks like every new phone that comes out now,only bigger.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Twi of my friends have evo and I have to say that is the ugliest piece of ..I have ever seen. Looks like a brick, feels like a brick. Wouldn't want one if it was free
    Solid hardware build usually feels "like a brick"

My pre feels like a toy anytime i pick it up now haha and it looks like someone smushed the screen down.

New WebOS phone better be at least 3.7" and they should match the iPhone retina display resolution.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast