Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    The evo is not that much slimmer than the pre but you can convince yourself of it if you want

When you are dealing with MM....nothing is really "That much" but it is thinner.

You can just disregard something because you think its not much thinner. I actually agree, while i don't find either phone bulky, the Pre did have a bigger bulge than my Evo.
    I find the former Pre user reports very helpful. I personally don't have a switch planned anytime soon - but it is nice to hear what is and isn't on par and what excellent and not so excellent features each platform has from a first hand experience.
    What you can't see in those pics is a good comparison of the middle of these devices. The Pre is thinner at it's ends than it is in the middle. The middle is what causes more bulge in pockets.

For those of you with both devices, here's an experiment:

Lay both devices flat on their screens with the Pre behind the Evo. Level your eye with the back of the Evo and you will clearly see the Pre behind the Evo. Swap device positions and you'll see that the Evo is completely hidden by the Pre.
    I just switched from Palm Pre to Evo 4g and agree that both phones have their pros and cons. However, if you were to ask me which is the best phone overall right now, I would say the Evo. Yes, the pre has multitasking and Webos feels like you can accomplish more with less swipes and taps but after some time on android you get used to it. I like the email, text, and whole synergy on Webos but Android has better google maps, apps, hardware, and all the apps load up faster. The phone is also solidly built and the big ***** screen is perfect for browsing forums.
    As much as i like the idea of WebOS (and i said it before and i'll say it again, it was the best phone on Sprint at the time for me) the OS is just still not complete.

And i'm not blaming Palm/HP....Android was a mess when it first launched even more so but Google did bust their *** to bring it up to Gingerbread now which is night and day even from version 1.6. Even then, the developers and SDK and APIs fill in any holes Google missed.

Palm just needs to focus on improving and optimizing the OS and SDK. If it takes time, it takes time, but Windows phone 7 is coming out strongly in those departments and honestly, it feels like the last year of WebOS devices will net them nothing but a small group of hardcore Palm fans.

Lets be honest a lot of the WebOS devs (who are not major companies) develop because they like WebOS...while android and iPhone devs develop for money and success.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Dandar, what did you install to do this?
    I assume you're asking about swiping of notifications? It's built into CyanogenMod.
    The fog is too thick right now to make phone buying decisions... in a cupla weeks and 'in the coming months' lol everything in the mobile market will become clearer and people on precentral will be able to make solid, information based choices...

but looking at the palm situation at this murky time what i say is its 2011 and palm is still in the game...in 2008/09 all you could hear on cross-platform was "palm is dead!"

palm is still in the game and in this game all you need is 1 hit device and you can become immortal...
    It's funny that "1 hit device" was the Pre...until it wasn't.

Also, Palm itself is proof that you can have a hit and still be unable to run the bases.
    Last edited by taharka; 12/20/2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Convince myself?I have both and I'm looking at them right now.don't need any convincing,I have 20/20 eye sight.LOL

Sent using taptalk.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Well, to help me deal w/ my "app envy", I'm thinking of getting a B&N Nook color. As of Jan. it will be running Android 2.3 and rolling out an App cat.

I'd like a dedicated book and mag. reader, and the Nook Color is pretty darn close to a tablet. ...and for $250, it's a steal. It will be fun to mess around with and get to know android a little better.

If an Android ever came out with a Pre form factor (I love it, for a phone), I'd HAVE to try it. ;-)
    I am absolutely loving my Nook Color. I've done just about everything but read a book! People are already rooting it for those who want the app store experience.

The screen is beautiful!! I was just as taken aback as I was when I first saw the Pre screen. The unit is a nice size...feels about like a dayplanner in the case I bought for it.

They seem to be selling like hotcakes over the weekend...last minute gifts, I guess.

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    what is it half the thickness? Still need two hands to use that crap
    You seem angry.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    I am absolutely loving my Nook Color. I've done just about everything but read a book! People are already rooting it for those who want the app store experience.

The screen is beautiful!! I was just as taken aback as I was when I first saw the Pre screen. The unit is a nice size...feels about like a dayplanner in the case I bought for it.

They seem to be selling like hotcakes over the weekend...last minute gifts, I guess.
    I ordered one today! I know I won't be upgrading my phone until at least January , so now that all the Christmas shopping is done, I decided to get something for myself. ;-)

I've been following the rooting progress on Engadget, and when I read that 2.3 was coming, I decided to "pull the trigger"

I also like the fact that you don't need another data plan, as I just will use it over WiFi.
    what is it half the thickness? Still need two hands to use that crap
    Funny. Here's my real world break down on Evo vs number of hands.

Surfing the web: 2 hands if I'm using pinch to zoom. Otherwise 1 hand.

Checking email: 1 hand.

Placing and answering calls: 1 hand

Placing and answering calls while driving: NO HANDS (since I can both place and answer calls via voice command without ever touching the Evo).

Navigating to my destination while driving: NO HANDS

"Reading" SMS while driving: NO HANDS because I can have it read to me automatically.

Sending you a message to say don't be so angry: 1 hand (Just Swype) or 1 finger (Just Talk)
    I use slide it keyboard myself and I think its very cool that I can walk with one hand in my pocket and text very very fast with the other hand.just one hand. And if I want to be even lazier ,just talk what I want to text.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Funny. Here's my real world break down on Evo vs number of hands.

Surfing the web: 2 hands if I'm using pinch to zoom. Otherwise 1 hand.

Checking email: 1 hand.

Placing and answering calls: 1 hand

Placing and answering calls while driving: NO HANDS (since I can both place and answer calls via voice command without ever touching the Evo).

Navigating to my destination while driving: NO HANDS

"Reading" SMS while driving: NO HANDS because I can have it read to me automatically.

Sending you a message to say don't be so angry: 1 hand (Just Swype) or 1 finger (Just Talk)
    EVO stats continued:
    number of hands to accept an enterprise WPA certificate: 0 (can't be done)

number of hands to decline a meeting invite: 0 (can't be done)

number of hands to do a GAL lookup: 0 (can't be done)

but what is the number of hands it takes to bash another mobile OS on its forum?

/sending this message with one finger.
    //joking just trying to get a rise
    What is this? The Korean peninsula? We all have/had Palms but have either gotten new phones or are sticking to what we have. If Palm works for you, stay. If you feel it sucks, get something else. I for one upgraded to the Evo in November and I think it has taken care of all my productivity needs. Amex, Chase, Discover, Mint, Bloomberg, NASDAQ, Bar code, just to mention a few of the awesomeness that is my new phone. The fact remains, I do not regret all my Treos, my Pro, or my Pre and I am eagerly waiting for what HP delivers. If it is not to my liking, I just may upgrade to windows 7 because I find out it has something I need that Android lacks. Phew...

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    EVO stats continued:
    but what is the number of hands it takes to bash another mobile OS on its forum?
    Answer: 1. Tap the voice command button and speak your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    /sending this message with one finger.
    //joking just trying to get a rise
    ROFL THAT was funny! Thanks. Stop flippin me the Angry Bird bud!

Seriously though, nothing in my post was about bashing. It was a direct response to someone who was spreading angry FUD.
    but noooo android is clunky and impossible to use!

I too tire of the fud....it really made me keep a closed mind about android when I had my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    but noooo android is clunky and impossible to use!

I too tire of the fud....it really made me keep a closed mind about android when I had my Pre.
    You're a good example to use, though, because you admit you weren't open to the possibility that Android is actually pretty good.

The Cross-Platform section of P|C has been a rogue's gallery of former Pre users who insisted they would never even use Android because it's clunky, the EVO is too big, etc. One by one they've been switching to Android and, like you, most of them seem beyond thrilled at having made the migration.

I mean, man, I still can't believe Hatchettjack is using Android now...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well it's not all accurate. Skype is available on VZ, Adobe is in 2.0 and Simple Paint is a good free coloring app that my 7 & 2 year olds like a lot.
    Skype is available for all android devices I believe. I have a Hero and it shows up in my market.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast