Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Interesting stats, and not surprising given the time since Palm launched the Plus phones in January.

However, I wonder where they get their app counts? Of course, the general trend is correct, but I believe that webOS has almost 6,000 apps plus over 500 homebrew apps.

http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/app-catalog/

Also interesting is that the webOS trends are flat on searching, rather than declining. I guess that means that most who haven't already left are hanging on for CES. And the news graph has webOS showing virtually the same numbers as WP7, which indicates that webOS is getting a lot of exposure in any discussion of WP7. That's a good thing, because MS is spending hundreds of millions of dollars$ on promotion and webOS looks to be getting a benefit from that.

As the OP says, CES absolutely CAN NOT come soon enough!
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Didn't Microsoft give out 90,000 phones to staff?
    Not to mention Oprah and Ellen giving them away to audiences...

I wish Palm were doing more of that...
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Didn't Microsoft give out 90,000 phones to staff?
    No that was Dell. Well, dell said they would but there were problems with the Venue Pro iirc and it was pulled. Microsoft does have generous subsidies for their employees getting phones but I don't think it's any different from what HP is offering their staff with the webOS phones.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    They might get that number from the total available apps when you launch the App Catalog. It does vary based upon region.

It's slightly inaccurate, since they are counting total apps available for WP7 across all regions, yet not counting the same for webOS. Homebrew is also not taken into consideration.

I do feel the need to point out that in the 2 weeks I've owned my WP7 device, 1000 apps have been added to the Marketplace. That kind of growth is unheard of on webOS.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    No that was Dell. Well, dell said they would but there were problems with the Venue Pro iirc and it was pulled. Microsoft does have generous subsidies for their employees getting phones but I don't think it's any different from what HP is offering their staff with the webOS phones.
    Checking the web:

D
    on't you wish you were employed by Microsoft at the moment? Why, you ask? Well, how about news that all of its employees will receive a Windows Phone 7 device - where the first of these handsets will hit the general market from early next month onwards from AT&T with T-Mobile to follow shortly after.
    Microsoft gives Windows Phone 7 phones - Microsoft gives away nearly 90,000 Windows Phone 7 smartphones to employees
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Interesting stats, and not surprising given the time since Palm launched the Plus phones in January.

However, I wonder where they get their app counts? Of course, the general trend is correct, but I believe that webOS has almost 6,000 apps plus over 500 homebrew apps.
    True, but the rate of growth is impressive. It took webOS about 6 months to grow to 1K apps (the Engadget App I believe). 4.3K apps in a couple of months is a pretty good growth rate.
    According to some people I know at Microsoft, the deal isn't as good as it sounds there. It was more like "you go buy the phone and we'll reimburse you for the subsidized price in a few months."
    Oh, it's definitely an impressive growth rate. Especially compared to webOS. I wonder how it compares to the iOS App Store and Android Market? That would be interesting, too.
    According to this chart, it's a better growth rate than Android out of the gate as well. Palm App Catalog vs Android Market… A Tale of Tails | webOSroundup

Didn't find a chart for App Store growth (didn't look that hard, sorry). But I remember reading somewhere that they didn't have a store for about a year(?) after launch. So the growth rate for wp7 would be better or worse than iOS' app growth rate depending on if you count things from product launch or store launch.

It will be interesting to see what wp7's growth rate is at the six month mark.

UPDATE: App Store stats here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Statistics.png

Looks like it took Apple about 4 months to hit 3K apps.
    Last edited by taharka; 12/18/2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added App Store stats link
    I'm not sure why this is relevant. Did anyone think HP/Palm was going to compete with MS in terms of market share?

MS & google with their hardware partners are just different animals.
    I wonder what the "download" rate is for WP7. Growth rate is one thing but I wonder how those apps are selling. Apple had 10M downloads the first weekend! It took just over 2 weeks for webOS to hit 1M downloads (and 3 months to hit 8M downloads). Does anyone know what these numbers are for WP7?

Having a store full of products is OK but having a store that sells all those products is better.
    there growth is pretty amazing but the question is are there good apps? And idk if this is really benefits webos showing there losing people, but anyways I hear they've only had like 70,000 downloads? Idk I'm not sure.. That could just be a specific app
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    HP will come to CES with Aces in their pocket. I expect announcements for programs from Big name vendors in order to say "us too".

It probably won't be more than 5 or 10 but if the 10 are important enough:

medicine (yes, i know epocrates is giving us their middle finger)
    netflix viewing
    document editing
    music and video collection and streaming ala orb or the beta KalemSoft streamer
    amazon kindle books or b&n

most people will not write it off.

Vertical markets are the hardest to bring on board and aside from medicine, I don't see this happening.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    HP will come to CES with Aces in their pocket. I expect announcements for programs from Big name vendors in order to say "us too".

It probably won't be more than 5 or 10 but if the 10 are important enough:

medicine (yes, i know epocrates is giving us their middle finger)
    netflix viewing
    document editing
    music and video collection and streaming ala orb or the beta KalemSoft streamer
    amazon kindle books or b&n

most people will not write it off.

Vertical markets are the hardest to bring on board and aside from medicine, I don't see this happening.
    that's what we would do... lets hope that HP is thinking like you are, and that will be a big win. Otherwise they will annoince great harware and then everyone will whine about apps... They need to address the entire ecosystem.
    So, how much money has HP spent advertising vs MS for WP 7? Lets see where webOS is vs WP 7 after HP steps up.

It might be a better comparison to look at iOS and Android, rather than webOS which has not been rolled out with an HP campaign blitz, etc.
    MS. Is estimated to be spending more than $300million to launch wp7.

no idea what apple spent, or what the carriers spend on android.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not sure why this is relevant. Did anyone think HP/Palm was going to compete with MS in terms of market share?

MS & google with their hardware partners are just different animals.
    At some point, they have to be competing with someone. wOS has been around for too long to get a pass. No one competes with iOS because, well, it's iOS. Can't compete with Android's free OS and multiple manufacturers, carriers, and price-points. Can't compete with MS eventhough they're new because MS is big and spends lots of money. Can't compete with RIM because they are too well intrenched in enterprise. Can't compete with Nokia because they are the dominant, worldwide cheap phone. If Palm can't compete with anyone in the industry, then they shouldn't be in the industry.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast