Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The last we heard, the webOS 2.0 SDK STILL doesn't expose camera and microphone APIs to developers. Here's something on the iPhone that illustrates why this is terrible for developers who want to create entirely new classes of applications.

!
    I would really like this if it came to android. I wonder how they get it to work since it says there is no need for Internet connection.
  3.    #3  
    It has an internal dictionary and it uses augmented reality for the character display.

I just tried it for myself and it...actually works. Welcome to the future.
    have we confirmed that those APIs aren't in the SDK? I thought I understood from a PC article that they were.
    Any info if its coming to other platforms or if there is a similar app to this on Android?
  6.    #6  
    This is exclusive to iOS for now but there's no reason they can't do an Android version -- Android has all the hardware features they use to make this happen (and the proper APIs to utilize them).

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    have we confirmed that those APIs aren't in the SDK? I thought I understood from a PC article that they were.
    Yeah, barkerja took a look at the latest SDK (as of about 2 weeks ago) and there were no camera or microphone APIs available.
    Round Table: HP webOS 2.0 | PreCentral.net

I fully understand the desire to focus on and improve webOS’ strong suits, but the basics are in desperate need of functionality updates. What also has me perplexed is the apparent lack of new APIs. In fact, the only new APIs are related to new functions in webOS 2.0: Synergy and Just Type plug-ins. There’s no new camera API and nothing for the microphone. While apps have always been able to write to databases like Calendar, they still can’t read from it. Being able to slot a movie showtime into your calendar is of limited utility when you have to open the calendar to check for conflicts.
    are you sure there is no mic camera video api?
    DId you read the post above yours? That information was just posted.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Very cool!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    PALM!
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    want voip
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    DId you read the post above yours? That information was just posted.
    I did however I have my reservations

you can't blame a guy for being optimistic!!
    Last edited by abegee; 12/16/2010 at 11:32 PM.
    I thought the 2.0 SDK was still under NDA???
    it sure is. I don't understand how they say someone checked it out, if he's a dev he should know better, if he isn't how did he have access. ??
    Isn't the cam, mic, media indexer(or something like this), etc APIs comming with the release of the final, public SDK once the over the air update for 2.x comes out with all the features and not just the half completed one in the Pre 2s?
    forget NDAs and speculation.

why does hp palm have to be so damn secretive if they are gonna have camera or mic api's in the next version of webOS? I don't understand how this would be a big deal if hp palm would just state "yes" or "no." Every other smartphone platform has them, so how would answering palm be negatively affected by answering "yes"?

unless of course their silence on the matter confirms that it won't exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So when do you think we'll see something like this on webOS?

When do you think we'll see a webOS phone with a camera that supports auto-focus?
    What, you want dates? I don't know. It's really that simple. Palm has said that the API's are coming. I have no reason to doubt it.

On the latter, I've heard nothing about an autofocus camera coming from HP or Palm.

However, my lack of knowledge on either topic means only one thing, I don't know. Doesn't mean neither is happening.

In the mean time, my Pre works better than it was originally advertised, and I'm looking forward to WebOS 2 being on it soon.

Having said all that, I'll stick with my original implication - I don't think I'll be looking to BarkerJA for my information about Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    forget NDAs and speculation.

why does hp palm have to be so damn secretive if they are gonna have camera or mic api's in the next version of webOS? I don't understand how this would be a big deal if hp palm would just state "yes" or "no." Every other smartphone platform has them, so how would answering palm be negatively affected by answering "yes"?

unless of course their silence on the matter confirms that it won't exist?
    They don't "have" to be, but I can tell you one possible reason.

Palm has abc ready. They are working on xyz. They're not sure if they'll have it ready, but they're working on it, and hope to make it part of the next release.

User So, are you going to have abc in the next release?
    HPalm Yes, without a doubt.
    User How about xyz. We know some folks are waiting on that, will that be there
    HPalm We really don't have a response on that, at this time
    User Ahhh, so it's not going to be in it, we can read between the lines
    HPalm No, we didn't say that...
    User Sorry, word's already out, you guys failed again...

It's really simple. They will have it when it's out, whatever "it" is. If you want something that's out now, don't wait, go get it. If you think something better is coming from Palm, wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They don't "have" to be, but I can tell you one possible reason.

Palm has abc ready. They are working on xyz. They're not sure if they'll have it ready, but they're working on it, and hope to make it part of the next release.

User So, are you going to have abc in the next release?
    HPalm Yes, without a doubt.
    User How about xyz. We know some folks are waiting on that, will that be there
    HPalm We really don't have a response on that, at this time
    User Ahhh, so it's not going to be in it, we can read between the lines
    HPalm No, we didn't say that...
    User Sorry, word's already out, you guys failed again...

It's really simple. They will have it when it's out, whatever "it" is. If you want something that's out now, don't wait, go get it. If you think something better is coming from Palm, wait and see.
    Hparsons... I love your posts!

+1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast