Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I thought the 2.0 SDK was still under NDA???
    It is, but Palm has such a loose rein on who has access to the early developer stuff that it's really pointless. It's kind of sad really. But what do you except from a company that's starving for third-party support?
    I can't imagine needing Word Lens unless I travelled internationally, but it's definitely cool - if it works with real life signs, menu text, etc.

I agree that HP needs to expose the APIs needed for cool apps like this, even if they only serve a niche requirement. It would be worth having just to show to friends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I can't imagine needing Word Lens unless I travelled internationally, but it's definitely cool - if it works with real life signs, menu text, etc.

I agree that HP needs to expose the APIs needed for cool apps like this, even if they only serve a niche requirement. It would be worth having just to show to friends...
    Lol. I just downloaded it to see how well it does work. I'm surprised it works as well as it does and that the iPhone 4's CPU can handle it. Here's a quick screen I just took of it on your forum post:

I so could have used this when I was in Denmark & Sweden three weeks ago.
    I really dont understand what the hold up is. i am no expert by any means but i dont understand what would cause them to not release them. Is there something i am missing. this should have been released day 1. if not after year 1. i mean come on. what could the reason possibly be?
    Usually it means they aren't finalized, or they interact with something that is not ready. For example, I recall reading that they needed something in 2.x and would therefore be available sometime after the 2.x update is out.

It's also possible that they have something big planned for their next announcement (like voice commands?) and want to hold it until that feature is complete and/or announced.

It's a shame that they haven't released it, but we can all be sure that they would have it out to developers if they could.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    I really dont understand what the hold up is. i am no expert by any means but i dont understand what would cause them to not release them. Is there something i am missing. this should have been released day 1. if not after year 1. i mean come on. what could the reason possibly be?
    Palm took a completely different direction with webOS. Because they developed an OS that is entirely derivative of web technologies (as opposed to a low-level language like C/C++) they have more work to do when it comes to marrying the two ends together.

You have the upside of making development easier for third-partys but the downside of it being increasingly challenging to support things like camera access, mic access, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Palm took a completely different direction with webOS. Because they developed an OS that is entirely derivative of web technologies (as opposed to a low-level language like C/C++) they have more work to do when it comes to marrying the two ends together.

You have the upside of making development easier for third-partys but the downside of it being increasingly challenging to support things like camera access, mic access, etc.
    That's what plugins are for. Webpages are cool and interactive because of plugins. Html (2, 3, 4) can't do too much flash. Dhtml and CSS help, but it wasn't until html5 came about that now "native coolness" is allowed.

Don't Believe me? Set your favorite browser to "block all" security and browse around...you won't last 10 mins because the web isn't as good w/o those plugins.

Palm has the PDK and now HPDK so those days are pretty much over.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    That's what plugins are for. Webpages are cool and interactive because of plugins. Html (2, 3, 4) can't do too much flash. Dhtml and CSS help, but it wasn't until html5 came about that now "native coolness" is allowed.

Don't Believe me? Set your favorite browser to "block all" security and browse around...you won't last 10 mins because the web isn't as good w/o those plugins.

Palm has the PDK and now HPDK so those days are pretty much over.
    Not entirely true. There are lots of flash and "native coolness" (RIA) that can be (and have been) done on non-html5 browsers when you mix in JavaScript (not including video of course).

I think you are BOTH correct on the PDK. Plugins help, a lot! However, creating and managing Plugins is exactly the "extra work" that bakerja mentioned. There is also the extra work that HP must do to expose the OS to JavaScript for non-PDK apps.

Also, considering the PDK has been out for a while and there are still no voice-enabled apps, I'd say the existence of the PDK does not equal "those days being over."

What is HPDK? Is that a combo-word like "HPalm" or does it refer to a specific piece of technology? <--- Honest question as I haven't seen that term before.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    What is HPDK? Is that a combo-word like "HPalm" or does it refer to a specific piece of technology? <--- Honest question as I haven't seen that term before.
    He means Hybrid PDK apps
    It is, but Palm has such a loose rein on who has access to the early developer stuff that it's really pointless. It's kind of sad really. But what do you except from a company that's starving for third-party support?
    Of course "starving for third-party" support is the reason. I mean, there's never been another company that's had NDA information, or even full copies of their OS, released improperly. Of course not, I mean, that'd never happen to say, Microsoft or even Apple, right?

Uh - huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course "starving for third-party" support is the reason. I mean, there's never been another company that's had NDA information, or even full copies of their OS, released improperly. Of course not, I mean, that'd never happen to say, Microsoft or even Apple, right?

Uh - huh.
    Trying to figure out where I implied that Apple, Microsoft and others were immune to this.

My point was .. Palm does very little to try and deter leaks. The only time we've heard a stink from them about leaks is when pertinent information was released about 2.0 months ago. But, nothing else was ever said or done; they even took a step backwards and removed the SDKs from Dropbox and threw it on a relatively insecure FTP site.

SMH
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    He means Hybrid PDK apps
    Duh!!! Why did I not make the connection? Sorry for the brain freeze. Thanks for the clarification.
    Trying to figure out where I implied that Apple, Microsoft and others were immune to this...
    Here's the quote:
    ...But what do you except from a company that's starving for third-party support?
    If it's because they're a company "that's starving for third-party support" then Apple and Microsoft wouldn't have the same problem. Need for third party support has nothing to do with leaks of an NDA.

My point was .. Palm does very little to try and deter leaks. The only time we've heard a stink from them about leaks is when pertinent information was released about 2.0 months ago. But, nothing else was ever said or done; they even took a step backwards and removed the SDKs from Dropbox and threw it on a relatively insecure FTP site.

SMH
    Just because you've not heard a stink, doesn't mean they're doing very little.

Frankly, I don't see any software companies do a whole lot against individuals, but it happens. I've seen much more leaked information about Apple products and Microsoft products, so I doubt Palm's need for third party support has anything to do with the topic.
    Last edited by hparsons; 12/18/2010 at 08:03 AM.

This makes the most sense. Thanks for posting. I love when ppl know something instead of merely talking out of speculation.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I believe the camera and mic API's will come with 2.X (hopefully 2.1 or above, which is what anyone in north america will have soon enough).
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I believe the camera and mic API's will come with 2.X (hopefully 2.1 or above, which is what anyone in north america will have soon enough).
    Looking forward to it but hoping we don't get a dumbed down version for our Pre- and yet if that's what it takes then so be it.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12