1.    #1  
    For those that are interested, the new Google Maps with vector graphics is now available in the Android market.

Google Maps updated with 3D tilt feature, vector graphics | Android Central
    I just tried twice to take video of this to share but it came out blurry....filming a phone is tough with a Flip cam haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I just tried twice to take video of this to share but it came out blurry....filming a phone is tough with a Flip cam haha.

Let Andy Rubin do the work for you (starts at around the 50 second mark):

4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just being playing around with it, it seems a lot quicker than the older versions and the 3d stuff is pretty cool (although I had to look at New York as there doesn't seem to be any 3d UK data at the moment).
    Yeah works well....figured out my flip cam doesn't have auto focus so up close is like taking an up close picture with the Pre....blurry.
    For what its worth, my quick run down on my evo:

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    For what its worth, my quick run down on my evo:

Brain,

With that we now know your name!

Hello Doug!

Great demo.

I wanted to add a little to explain how Google maps can be so unbelievably fast now. This is actually one of the modules rolling out with Android 2.3.

The first time you open it on an EVO after a reboot, it takes about 2 seconds to open. From then on it's less than a second as opposed to about 8 to 10 seconds on a 1 GHz Pre.

Part of it is that Google Maps has been optimized for Android. Part of it is the differences in how Android works.

But the reason that Google Maps is so frighteningly fast when you move around is that it is using vectors instead of dots (pixels).

Say you were drawing a city street for one block. You pull out your ruler and draw two lines for the sides. Done. That's vector graphics.

Now instead image that you cannot draw the line all at once but instead have to make a hundred dots (pixels) to make up each of the two lines. Basically you are making an impressionist painting dot by dot. No wonder so many of them went crazy.

So instead of downloading 480 x 800 dots (384KB) for a screen, it just sets the endpoints for lines and snaps a line between them. Watching the data traffic, it looks like a screen takes about 10-20 KB now. It's running at less than 10% of the old bandwidth.

So it is frighteningly fast to pan around. The battery draw drops a lot. You have to go about 4 screens in any one direction to run out of the cached surrounding map area.

And the magnetic compass and 3D stuff is amazing.

Go see Doug's video. And Andy did an OK video too.

- Craig