1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

Well, I just bought a clie. Been a Visor user for a long time.

I'm wondering what the easiest way to switch over to the new device is. Should I just name the Clie the same as my Plat and hotsynch it and presto! Or, would it be best to name it something else and keep them separate? (In case it takes me a while to sell the plat.)

Actually, as I type that it occurs to me that I don't know the answer to this question and probably should: how does the palm-os software work? I have tons of registered programs... are the serial numbers attached somehow to my user name? If so, I guess I have no choice what to name it.

Hmm. Anyway, any thoughts on the transition is appreciated.

Thanks!

mc
    I think you should name them the same and keep rolling. Of the Palm OS apps I've registered, most used my Hotsync name, so that's another reason to leave it the same.
    Well, you don't need two PDA's too often. Switch your Clie over to your current name, and your Plat over to your alter ego- if you really need to keep it sync'ed.

I HAVE heard of some people who run two units with the same name with no problem, but I also know of others that have been less successful. I think it depends a lot on the brand, model, version of desktop, etc. Personally- I can't see any reason to risk problems.

FYI: the latest version of Palm Desktop is wonderful, and a lot better at sharing than older versions were.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    Well, you don't need two PDA's too often. Switch your Clie over to your current name, and your Plat over to your alter ego- if you really need to keep it sync'ed.

I HAVE heard of some people who run two units with the same name with no problem, but I also know of others that have been less successful. I think it depends a lot on the brand, model, version of desktop, etc. Personally- I can't see any reason to risk problems.

FYI: the latest version of Palm Desktop is wonderful, and a lot better at sharing than older versions were.
    Agreed, but you should make sure that your Palm Desktop backup install folder doesn't contain any HS-only system patches before you try to make the switch. Similarly, you should make sure that all the software you're using on your Platnium is OS4 & *COLOR* compatible (or find out if there's a color version available, as is the case with some games).
    What do you think, Sirs?
    I've just always made complete backups of my old User...nhsieh folder. (nhsieh is my Palm Desktop user name). I just call each like...nhsieh-clie, or nhsieh-palm3, etc etc. That way, I sync to my original User...nhsieh, and just have the old ones for whatever reason.

Though I've never had to sync an old PDA before...I don't see why there would be a problem if it's an entirely different user name.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .