Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Damn, this is an outrageous price for a 5" smartphone, android 2.2 no less.

the only thing holding me back is att
    I think whats hendering it is it being 5". Remember the HTC advantage, its been tried before a really big phone/tablet highbryd, I just dont think its a good idea. Hopeing HP's device they are coming with rumored to 5" is not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think whats hendering it is it being 5". Remember the HTC advantage, its been tried before a really big phone/tablet highbryd, I just dont think its a good idea. Hopeing HP's device they are coming with rumored to 5" is not true.
    Sad, the device is so new yet being steeply discounted to help the dismal sales. Proof that the trend toward gargantu-phones is at an end and manufactures are now releasing more sensible sized devices.

3.8 seems to be the magic number with a few still straying out to the 4" border line. People want *portable* devices and these things are just to big. There's a reason Archos players are a niche market because most people DON'T want to carry a device around in there hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Sad, the device is so new yet being steeply discounted to help the dismal sales. Proof that the trend toward gargantu-phones is at an end and manufactures are now releasing more sensible sized devices.

3.8 seems to be the magic number with a few still straying out to the 4" border line. People want *portable* devices and these things are just to big. There's a reason Archos players are a niche market because most people DON'T want to carry a device around in there hands.
    You came to a lot of conclusions based on the Dell discount. What proof do you have that 3.8" (its actually 3.7") is the magic number with "a few" straying past 4"

Do you not recall the Evo, Droid X and Samsung Galaxy line of phones are all doing well in the market?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I personally don't feel the streak handset is too large, Especially for internet and movie browsing.
    I'm amazed that a $99 price point for this handset is even possible. The hardware puts all other smartphones to shame.

I just ran the numbers jumping to att from sprint and I can't justify the +30 per month.

The wait continues for a decent large screen on sprint that's not an EVO
    [Quote deleted by moderator]

If you think the Evo doesn't fit in your pocket you have never had an evo.

And i'm talking about my dress pants i wear to work fit with no problems.

Also i find in my travels in NYC many females on teh subway are rocking the Evos and the Droid x's. I personally know 4 girls with Evos (including my gf).

Girls put their phones in their purses, they hardly care about the size.
    (yes i'm generalizing but i think if a woman uses a purse, many just put their phones in it).

If you really don't think there will be a 4" phone come this summer I'd be shocked. Why would a company make all their phones a larger size? They make phones for different markets. Evo was a hit, you don't think HTC is working on a future 4.3" device for america?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/14/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    If you think the Evo doesn't fit in your pocket you have never had an evo.

And i'm talking about my dress pants i wear to work fit with no problems.

Also i find in my travels in NYC many females on teh subway are rocking the Evos and the Droid x's. I personally know 4 girls with Evos (including my gf).

Girls put their phones in their purses, they hardly care about the size.
    (yes i'm generalizing but i think if a woman uses a purse, many just put their phones in it).

If you really don't think there will be a 4" phone come this summer I'd be shocked. Why would a company make all their phones a larger size? They make phones for different markets. Evo was a hit, you don't think HTC is working on a future 4.3" device for america?

you are correct though the evo (i had one) is bigger then your average phone, it is really not that bad at all when you use it. It is very pocketable(not as much as the pre, or iphone) but I never had a problem fitting it in any type pocket of a jean, or dress pants. As well as the clip on my pants was not overrly big. To me the Evo is big, but they did a good job of designing the phone IMO, if HP came out with a similar size demensional it would do just fine for people coming from a phone like the Pre. Just to me 5 inches is too big to be a phone/tablet (its like why get that when getting a evo, or droid x covers just as much realestate and is more mobile). Also if I have something I can't put in a pocket so easy, I might as well atleast go for a 7 inch, or a 10 inch tablet and keep a feature phone to talk on.
    Yeah, limited bezel was key. I personally think the Streak is too big as a phone and 4.3 is the largest i'd go. But i'm also fine with 3.7 and 4.0". I don't think i could go smaller than 3.7" now though.
    I have an EVO and a Pre. What matters in my pocket is the bulk of the item, the volume.

The Pre is 6.4 cubic inches. The EVO is 6.2 cubic inches.

But more importantly the 4.3" EVO is skinny.

Take a look at the pdadb.net specs:
    Droid X. Pre, Pre 2, and EVO Comparison Chart

But try it yourself. Walk around and sit with it in your pocket. You will notice the difference right away.

The 4.3" Droid X is smaller at 5.2 vs. 6.4 cubic inches.

The new flagship Android, the 4.0" T-Mobile Nexus S, is even smaller yet at only 4.9 cubic inches.

Some may want a bigger keyboard. A virtual keyboard like Swype is faster for some than a physical keyboard. SwiftKey is even faster for some because much of the time it knows your next word before you can type it.

For some a smaller keyboard may feel better. That is the reason that there are models coming out with screens at every size from 3" to 5" and tablets at 7" and up.

The only way that you will know what feels right in your hands and pocket is to try them out. It's like shoes. Only you will know what feels right to you.

When phones were phones, the goal was to make them as small as possible. But today is different.

Pundits have talked about the convergence of TV and computers. It already happened in your pocket.

Your phone is your email, text, Internet, GPS, calendar, Facebook, word processor, Twitter, YouTube, Nook and Kindle, movie player, radio, camera, HD video cam, TV, and video chat.

The only thing our phones don't do any more is ring.

- Craig
    IMO, the Streak was a bad idea at any size. It had no reason to exist. It brought nothing new to the table, or pocket. It is just another crap Android product fit for landfills. The odd-duck size is just one more reason why it is a bad idea.

Seriously, what does this product bring that every other Android phone/tablet doesn't already have at the same, or lower price? Answer, about an inch. Next stop, the Kmart blue light bargain bin. After that, the dumpster. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Urr....what? Latest HTC phones...

HTC Surround...3.8"
    HTC MyTouch 4G....3.8"
    HTC G2...3.7"

Latest Moto...

Moto Defy...3.7"
    Moto Bravo...3.7"
    Droid 2...3.7"
    Droid Pro...3.2"

As I said before, the gargantu-phone trend is out. < 4" devices are hitting the market from HTC, Moto, etc. NONE of which are the stupi-sized variety that plagued the market for a minute there... Proof isn't in the pudding, it's in the latest releases.
    Interesting thread.

Since I just spent the past few months designing 2 different hypothetical WebOS smartphones in 3D, (with actual 3D softwre - they were accurately modelled/dimensioned), I had to do some practical research to figure out what screen sizes seemed to be the "sweet spot": its 3.8".

We can argue all we want about what fits in your pants pocket or not - actually, at this point, that's irrelevant - I put my phone in my suit jacket, as most men do, and I could fit a 6" diagnol phone in there, just as long as its in that .5" thickness. My daughter- a petite framed girl, hat the HTC HD2 (same body as the EVO), with that 4.3" screen and loved the size - never complained about that at all.

The 3.8" "sweet spot" comes from, I believe, the software portrait keyboard - that's where it begins to become really usable, and, believe me, this is a huge factor.

I've seen and used the G2 - its a 3.8" diagnol horizontal slider, and the portrait software keyboard is really sized well - very usable, and when using the phone in landscape mode, with the hardware keyboard freeing that whole screen up, well, thats just a pleasure.

The iPhone, at 3.5" diagnal, is close, but, you CAN feel the difference - that extra width is crucial for a good amount of people; not to mention using it in landscape mode with the onscreen keyboard taking up half the screen...

Having said that, the 4" - 5" diangal phones are and will still be in some demand - one must remember that if you are a heavy data/internet user, or if you are creating word and exel files on your smartphone, working in landscape mode is where you'll be doing most of that work, and unless you have a hardware keyboard, the software keyboard takes up quite a bit of real estate on smaller screens, so, bigger is better there, for real usability in those scenarios.

It really isnt "one size fits all" here.. but, I do agree, after meticulously designing both a portrait and landscape slider with 3.8" screens, that this is where that "Fat Middle" is, and where the highest demand will be, once the majority of the smartphone market users has tried the full range of all sizes.

IMO, of course!

Last edited by LCGuy; 12/15/2010 at 06:00 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The EVO and Epic would have sold just as well if they were 3.8" devices. They sold because they were the latest Android phones and the first 4G devices. If the trend really was going that way, why have HTC and Moto only released the one 4.3 device? If bigger truly is better, surely their next batch of devices would be at least 4", yet they are all 3.7" or smaller? Hmm...

Ironically, the *Pre's* "tiny" form factor is being copied with both RIM and Moto making 3.2" portrait sliders. Again, these are FACTS. Feel free to browse over to HTC's and Moto's websites and pull up their product lines sorted from newest down. Not a 4" in the lot aside from the SINGLE 4.3 device from each...
    I think the 4 to 4.5 inch range for a smart phone screen is going to be the sweet spot. I think people are going to want more screen real estate for games and web surfing. Keep in mind all the baby boomers are retiring with some cash and would appreciate the larger screens for readability. My sister and brother in law switched from the Pre to the Evo because they could read the screen easier due to the size. It may also have to do with the fact that it was the newest phone when they got it. I like the Pre- device size I have now, but wouldn't mind a 4" screen for gaming. I wish they could eliminate the bezel and expand the viewable screen area to as close to the edges as possible. That could enlarge the screen and add minimal size to the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    The EVO and Epic would have sold just as well if they were 3.8" devices. They sold because they were the latest Android phones and the first 4G devices. If the trend really was going that way, why have HTC and Moto only released the one 4.3 device? If bigger truly is better, surely their next batch of devices would be at least 4", yet they are all 3.7" or smaller? Hmm...

Ironically, the *Pre's* "tiny" form factor is being copied with both RIM and Moto making 3.2" portrait sliders. Again, these are FACTS. Feel free to browse over to HTC's and Moto's websites and pull up their product lines sorted from newest down. Not a 4" in the lot aside from the SINGLE 4.3 device from each...
    I take it you've never heard of the HD7, HD2, Motorola Olympus, etc., etc....

BTW, the Droid Pro is not a "copy" of the Pre's form factor. It's not a slider. It's a copy of the Blackberry/Treo form factor.

Just thought you might like to get your FACTS straight....
    It is OK for people to like different things. If you are modeling the perfect size phone you start with an assumption of the perfect size hands. But the other 95% of people don't have perfect size hands.

Women have smaller hands. That is why we see that marketing skew for smaller phones, HTC Bee, Pixi, etc. But nearly as many women are buying the EVO's and Epics. Anything up to checkbook length fits in most purses.

In 2010 there were as many new phones under 3.7" as over. It seems that they were all 4" or bigger because that is all anyone talks about: EVO, Droid X, Epic, and Nexus S.

Here are the next 30 Android phones hitting now and through the next few months. 15 are 3.7" or bigger, 15 are smaller. Almost all of the coming flood of "free" Android phones are under 3.7".

So it seems that 3.7" will be the average size for new phones introduced over the next 6 months.

There are almost as many Android tablets coming as well but that is another discussion.

If you make gloves, you would need to offer styles for petite, small, medium, large and extra large hands. If you make cars you would need to offer sub-compacts, compacts, mid-size, full size, and SUV's.

If you offer one small model for one niche market you can dominate your niche and be very profitable just as Cooper Mini, Ferrari, and iPhone do so well.

But if you have 30 phones all about to hit, why not cover the whole market?

Pick whatever size feels best to you. There is no "right" size glove, car, or phone.

Please be tolerent of the fact that others might like other sizes.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/15/2010 at 10:54 AM.
    ... meanwhile, back on the topic - this thread is about the $99 price point for the Dell Streak. Is there anything else to say about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ... meanwhile, back on the topic - this thread is about the $99 price point for the Dell Streak. Is there anything else to say about that?
    Actually, yes. I'm befuddled as to why Dell is selling these for $99, when they are paying people with a $25 gift card and no activation fees to TAKE a Motorola Droid X - a more pocketable, updated, better-branded, better-reviewed version of the exact same concept.

Granted, that's a limited time offer and the Streak is priced that way only at Best Buy, but man....
    The Droid X also has better internals. The OMAP3 in the Droid X is faster than the Snapdragon in the Streak.

5" is just too large for most people. I personally think Samsung has it right with the Galaxy S line of phones. The 4" Super AMOLED on my Epic is perfect IMO.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    new motorala atrix is 4 inches. nice specs for the phone. i thought 4.3 inches was too big but the more i used my hd2, the better it felt and i got small hands. putting it in my semi baggy jean pocket did seem at all pertruding.

i would have the dell streak if i wanted an internet tablet device with phone capabilities. that 5 inch screen is huge and more fitting as an internet tablet niche such as the nokia n770, n800 and some what the n900.