1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    VERIZON HAS THREE STRIKES AGAINST THEM:
    * The iPhone has stolen their growth
    * They are facing the prospect of a single OS platform supplier
    * Android is not competitive vs. iOS
    Verizon Strikes Out in Smartphones [Updated] | asymco

Lots of data in there, including Web OS sales figures.
    Too.... many..... graphs.... charts.....

Good data, but my eyes are not focusing on things correctly anymore.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post

Me too, I was hoping someone here would pull out the numbers!
    wow very good article again android oversaturation has begun, and profits will start to slow considerably. As we all know AT&T dosent have any stand alone great android devices YET, simply the iphone, and as long as Apples on the top of the phone they will continue to profit every year. Even much more with coming to Verizon, and will be taking alot of android users from Verizon at that point as well.

In an apples-to-apples comparison, in Q3 the iPhone at AT&T outsold Android at Verizon (remember, same addressable market) by a factor of 2.5. This is with a variety of devices and vendors thrown in the market. We hardly ever get to see this finely grained a comparison when looking at platforms.

I wrote this up as a lack of competitiveness. It may seem provocative, but I define competitiveness narrowly: the competition is for a purchase decision on equal terms. These purchase decisions are fiendishly complex to predict, but the data speaks: whether it’s due to brand, visibility or performance and in spite of “antennagate” the iPhone is cleaning up.

Verizon Has three strikes against them:

The iPhone has stolen their growth
    They are facing the prospect of a single OS platform supplier
    Android is not competitive vs. iOS

and unfortunatly they wont be, even upping their venders on who makes Android phones. Imagine the iphone on just one other carrier, to me this is what HP needs to do, with people only buying the Pre or pixi because of the OS, and not because of how it looks (cough cough Android) when coupled with great hardware, I believe they can make a huge difference in a years time as android did.

PS... I know there will be alot of quote buttons hit from our fellow android/precentral users
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post

Yeah, honestly don't have the strength or desire to parse that article.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah, honestly don't have the strength or desire to parse that article.
    Here's the cliff notes:

When all of the fans on all of the fan sites have had their say, at the end of the day, the iPhone is more valuable to carriers than Android. Phone-a-geddon is about to begin.
    There are a LOT more people buying iphones because they are iphones than there are people buying android phones because they are android phones. Think about it.

Also.. I believe Android's success can largely be attributed to oversaturation first, and hardware second.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Also.. I believe Android's success can largely be attributed to oversaturation first, and hardware second.
    And the fact that its just about the only OS being serviced by the country's largest carrier.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    so basically android isnt beating iphone...
    I agree and think that supersaturation has a lot to do with Android's success

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    so basically android isnt beating iphone...
    Depends how you look at it.

In a quarterly figure, yes they are...overall? No not yet....soon? Likely.

Profit wise? well Google doesn't talk money but Apple makes a ton of money from the iphone. Carrier wise? AT&T has been laughing to the bank for the last 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Depends how you look at it.

In a quarterly figure, yes they are...overall? No not yet....soon? Likely.

Profit wise? well Google doesn't talk money but Apple makes a ton of money from the iphone. Carrier wise? AT&T has been laughing to the bank for the last 3 years.
    According to this article, it's the opposite: AppleInsider | Android's weak sales drive Verizon toward Apple's iPhone

"Verizonís volumes grew from 2.7 million in Q1 to 3.3 million in Q3," the site reports. "Not a bad story in itself. However, the iPhone at AT&T went from 2.7 million to 5.7 million in the same time frame. Relative to just the iPhone, Verizon has been underperforming over the last quarter."
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Anyone else noticing this revisionist history of "Android was successful due to saturation" taking hold here? I see people talking (who clearly don't understand what the term actually means when talking about markets) talking about saturation on a number of threads. Soon the story will be "Android launched twenty devices six months before WebOS and that's why it was successful".
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Here's the cliff notes:

When all of the fans on all of the fan sites have had their say, at the end of the day, the iPhone is more valuable to carriers than Android. Phone-a-geddon is about to begin.
    LOL. This sounds about as right-around-the-corner as Ruby's assurances of devices "coming soon". Android thrives on all US carriers. It thrives in Europe, Asia, and the rest of the globe where iPhone is freely available. I think they have carriers too.
    For perspective, ATT has a way more smartphone-oriented userbase. Last quarter, they sold almost as many non-iPhone smartphones (2.8 million) than Verizon did with all of their smartphones combined. That 2.8 million at ATT was Android and Blackberry.
    hey now, lets not forget the 100 pre and pixi phones vzw sold last quarter, and the 50 win mo phones

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    iPhone sells better than any other smartphone. Why? Same reason Windows sells better than any other computer OS. iPhone has many apps and is the easiest to use. I've read reports that AT&T fails the service polls miserably (Consumer Reports), so it isn't that AT&T provides better service. People like the look and feel of iPhone and trust the Apple brand. It will be hard for Android or any other carrier/smartphone manufacturer to overcome that inertia.
    I really should have combined all of this into one post, but...when you look at those comparison numbers, it's clear that iPhone hoovered up a lot of "featurephone" people to get to those sales levels, and I think the same will happen at Verizon. They'll take a huge chunk of the featurephone market and probably hurt LG and Samsung's margins in those areas.

But at the highest end, there's plenty of room for competition on any iPhone-offering carrier. Apple's once a year refresh cycle helps make this possible, but so does their rigid adherence to one form factor and a three-year-old UI and notifications. There's room there for WP7 too. Maybe even WebOS. Next year should have some exciting paradigm shifts all around.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I really should have combined all of this into one post, but...when you look at those comparison numbers, it's clear that iPhone hoovered up a lot of "featurephone" people to get to those sales levels, and I think the same will happen at Verizon. They'll take a huge chunk of the featurephone market and probably hurt LG and Samsung's margins in those areas.

But at the highest end, there's plenty of room for competition on any iPhone-offering carrier. Apple's once a year refresh cycle helps make this possible, but so does their rigid adherence to one form factor and a three-year-old UI and notifications. There's room there for WP7 too. Maybe even WebOS. Next year should have some exciting paradigm shifts all around.
    I dunno I dunno - I notice RIMs most recent sales figures have been better than expected, suggesting a turn around. However, I think Android is going to keep hoovering up numbers because nobody else (besides Nokia and they aren't a force at the US) is going to be competiting at so many price points.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I dunno I dunno - I notice RIMs most recent sales figures have been better than expected, suggesting a turn around. However, I think Android is going to keep hoovering up numbers because nobody else (besides Nokia and they aren't a force at the US) is going to be competiting at so many price points.
    So many carriers, too. Android's like the People's Champ.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast