1.    #1  
    I can't believe I missed this article. Andy Rubin acknowledges that Android is for early adopters and tech enthusiasts. His exact quote was:

When asked about the still sometimes clunky nature of the Android mobile OS, Rubin said he still sees Android as an early adopter platform built for tech enthusiasts, but expects that situation to improve with the introduction of the tablet-oriented Honeycomb version of Android next year.
    He also described Android and the Linux of smartphones. Read the entire article, here.

What prompted such frank, and unflattering admissions from Google, especially at this time? He all but admitted Android is not really a mainstream, consumer OS. He expects things to change with the release of the next OS version.

Since Android is a self-described geek platform, and Apple is the king of mainstream, where does webOS fit into the picture? Based on the comments I read on this forum, the #1 strength of webOS is Homebrew. The strongest feature is the mechanism for multitasking, which is a concern of techies, not the mainstream. Can webOS survive as a tech enthusiast platform? Is it not also vying to be the Linux of smartphones? Or, is webOS a mainstream OS that has been badly misunderstood by its target market?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/13/2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: it isn't "wOS" but is webOS ;) typos fixed
    I just wish the general user population thought this way. There are a LOT of non-tech users buying them.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I just wish the general user population thought this way. There are a LOT of non-tech users buying them.
    Agreed! I honestly don't believe people are buying Android phones; they are buying phones that happen to have Android on them. They are taking advantage of bogof offers. They are also associating the word, "Droid" with smartphone. I just have a hard time believing that the masses are intentionally identifying themselves as early adopters and tech enthusiasts with their phone selection.
    I don't think the majority of Android users are necessarily self-indentifying as anything in particular. It's not rocket science.

The iPhone made touchscreen-oriented candybars with apps the ideal device for mainstream consumers, but they intentionally limited their availability and variety. Android got the biggest carrier to put its muscle behind it and give it a "brand" (DROOOOOOID) that people can singularly identify with. That took the initial popularity to a bigger level. Manufacturers keep putting out handsets with awesome hardware and bigger screens than Apple will allow. The OS is growing to do things Apple doesn't do (e.g. good notifications, free nav). It's available on every carrier at every possible price point.

Boom. It's not succeeding because of BOGO offers. It's not because they feature the Android OS. It's just because it has what they want when and where they want it. People aren't going to care about Android as an OS any more than they will Windows. It just happens to be the most ubiquitous and easy to acquire platform for PCs. Android will be that for smartphones.
    That about sums it up. Its an OS that:

1. Works
    2. Is easily available
    3. "like an iphone" as dumb as that statement is.

Is it perfect? Nope...no phone platform is. But it filled a void early on with the original Droid, and then came unto itself shortly after.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Boom. It's not succeeding because of BOGO offers. It's not because they feature the Android OS. It's just because it has what they want when and where they want it. People aren't going to care about Android as an OS any more than they will Windows. It just happens to be the most ubiquitous and easy to acquire platform for PCs. Android will be that for smartphones.
    I was hoping you would show up. I thought you might get a bit more righteous about the bogof thing, but you demonstrated admirable restraint. You feeling OK?

For the most part, I agree with what you said. That being the case, what happens when the iPhone finally hits Verizon? I think the Verizon mainstream will descend on it like a pack of rabid dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I was hoping you would show up. I thought you might get a bit more righteous about the bogof thing, but you demonstrated admirable restraint. You feeling OK?
    Righteous? I've debunked this canard repeatedly. Few but you believe it. If you gotta cling to it, cling to it. I own exactly the same number of Android and iOS devices: 1.

For the most part, I agree with what you said. That being the case, what happens when the iPhone finally hits Verizon? I think the Verizon mainstream will descend on it like a pack of rabid dogs.
    I think the Verizon mainstream will shift...because there will be a sizable ATT exodus to get on a more reliable network for that phone. Of course, millions of existing Verizon peeps will get onboard too. But just on screen size, multiple price points, and form factor diversity alone, Android will continue to thrive. And in will do so doubly on the 70 million or so customers on T-Mobile and Sprint. Similarly, ATT will become a bigger Android booster to make up for the margins they lose when iPhone exclusivity goes.

Apple has no intentions of trying to one-up Android on volume, so eventually, they will get outsold and somewhat overshadowed. But each platform will thrive on their respective strengths.
    I don't think the majority of Android users are necessarily self-indentifying as anything in particular. It's not rocket science.

The iPhone made touchscreen-oriented candybars with apps the ideal device for mainstream consumers, but they intentionally limited their availability and variety. Android got the biggest carrier to put its muscle behind it and give it a "brand" (DROOOOOOID) that people can singularly identify with. That took the initial popularity to a bigger level. Manufacturers keep putting out handsets with awesome hardware and bigger screens than Apple will allow. The OS is growing to do things Apple doesn't do (e.g. good notifications, free nav). It's available on every carrier at every possible price point.

damn, now this is the most truthfull statement you have ever written. Too bad most android enthusiast dont share your same understanding.
    I guess my question is...why does this matter? Mac users tend to be way more enthusiastic and self-identifying with their choice than PC users. Doesn't mean Windows isn't a great platform or that it's not beating the tar out Mac for X years running. Conversely, doesn't mean that all Mac users are smug or whatever or that OSX isn't a great platform. It is.

But I just don't see Rubin's take on this or mine as a negative in any way. I'm sure WebOS users will be more enthusiastic about their devices than the most fervent Android fan ever will. Doesn't really help me when I'm having problems with my Pre. It's a device. I don't need to be part of a clique hanging with the cool kids. My ringer is always silent. However cool my wallpaper choices are, almost no one ever sees them but me. I will use other OSes besides Android at some point in the future.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

My new phone is a Orange San Francisco* (ZTE Blade) it cost me 70/$110, I don't mean that was the upfront cost on a contract, I mean that was the total cost with no contract at all - it cost no more than a half-decent feature phone. Everyone (except for Apple) will be in that race to the bottom. Yes you will still get your hero phones (like you get gaming PCs) but that's not where the market is going to be - it's going to be volume on low margin items.

* amazing phone considering the price point by the way.
    I guess my question is...why does this matter? Mac users tend to be way more enthusiastic and self-identifying with their choice than PC users. Doesn't mean Windows isn't a great platform or that it's not beating the tar out Mac for X years running. Conversely, doesn't mean that all Mac users are smug or whatever or that OSX isn't a great platform. It is.

But I just don't see Rubin's take on this or mine as a negative in any way. I'm sure WebOS users will be more enthusiastic about their devices than the most fervent Android fan ever will. Doesn't really help me when I'm having problems with my Pre. It's a device. I don't need to be part of a clique hanging with the cool kids. My ringer is always silent. However cool my wallpaper choices are, almost no one ever sees them but me. I will use other OSes besides Android at some point in the future.

your correct, and it shouldnt matter but as you specified the reason why you are correct. As I state I don't see you bend towards a paticular OS on purpose and only give supporting facts when debating. Which to me makes your opinions more valid, especially towards others on here, who just root for another OS, other then what precentral represents. With the reason being just personally liking it more then the other, and cheering for it while its being successful at people supporting the ladder.
  12.    #12  
    I find Rubin's responses interesting because it flies in the face of what many Android apologists have to say. Rubin was answering a question about why the Android interface was so clunky, or something to that affect. His response was not to deny it, or to defend it as being as polished an experience as iOS. He simply said what many of us have been saying, and getting flamed for. Android is for early adopter, tech enthusiasts. It's a geek platform, not a mainstream platform. That puts the whole Android vs. iOS debate in perspective.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Android is for early adopter, tech enthusiasts. It's a geek platform, not a mainstream platform.
    The only problem with that is sales - regardless of how you define it, something that sells in the way Android does is mainstream. That or we need to completely redefine what we mean by mainstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The only problem with that is sales - regardless of how you define it, something that sells in the way Android does is mainstream. That or we need to completely redefine what we mean by mainstream.
    true, Im guessing the content was meant to mean, Geeks as hardcore techy type crowd (the past WM users), and the mainstream is any and everyone else. Mainstream is like how Iphone adapts to users, anyone mom, dad, son, young, old etc can pick it from day one and jump right in, to me android is not so friendly (neither is webos in that matter though, and really less so). Right now Android is hot right now, so when anyone goes to a cell phone store and looks to buy a phone, sales reps will push people to android because its easy to sell at this point. Its what everyone sees on TV, and what everyone else is buying. Same goes for how AT&T has been for the past couple of years with the Iphone.