Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    according to alot of anaylist, they believe microsoft sales are pale in comparison to what was expected. Even things digital asked Belfiore what are the current sales number only to be swayed from the question:

Walt: How many have you sold?

Belfiore: Were not talking about numbers yet.

Walt: Other people do.

Belfiore: Were four weeks in. At some point well get to that. Its just too soon to talk about numbers.

most think ususally companys boast about sales, to create bigger sales when they are doing well, and when their tight lipped (like palm last year when sales dropped) they arent doing so well.

though I myself actully like the platform. The OS is very elegant, and basic very business like which is what led me to WM in the past. I even consider on getting the Pro 7 when launched, if no other Webos device is announced, or if the one announced is nothing I would prefer personaly. So whats the speculation out there? Do people think WP7 is doing well, and will make a loud noise in this floody market?

Windows Phone 7: Mossberg presses exec on sales figures
    My guess is that they are doing well enough for Microsoft to keep pouring money into the project, but not well enough to put their numbers up against Google and Apple.

If they sold 1 million phones in the first 4 weeks, that's a good number, but Google/Apple have sold that in a day. This is why they don't shout about the numbers.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    My guess is that they are doing well enough for Microsoft to keep pouring money into the project, but not well enough to put their numbers up against Google and Apple.

If they sold 1 million phones in the first 4 weeks, that's a good number, but Google/Apple have sold that in a day. This is why they don't shout about the numbers.
    that make sense, so I guess really just being quiet is the best thing to do. It would help sales to keep going, though I wounder if even the Pro 7 passing FCC if they should have atleast launched that one already if they have the inventory. I feel they miss alot of sales on VZ and Sprint not doing so, I personally would have picked up the Pro 7 myself.
    I think the reason they are holding off is probably three-fold.

1- Hardware availability and software limitations

Apparently WP7 wasn't ready for CDMA primetime, thus the delay.

2- $$$$$ Yeah, it's MS, but still, I think they prefer the inital look given them from ATT. Must've been a heck of a deal. I wouldn't expect Sprint/Verizon until 90 days are up. That seems to be the window.

3- Carriers - My guess is that Verizon and Sprint also aren't too disappointed at having to wait it out. They want to make sure they don't Kin and Kin 2 it up.

Still waiting for Palm's official numbers....

I don't think realistically, MS expected a huge exodus to their platform. I think its off to a great start and will just continue to attract customers as its on more carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Still waiting for Palm's official numbers....

I don't think realistically, MS expected a huge exodus to their platform. I think its off to a great start and will just continue to attract customers as its on more carriers.
    That's the major difference between WebOs and WP7.... They are probably pretty close in terms of launch numbers etc, but MS is marketing the heck out of their platform, and Palm used the creepy lady....

every Launch/relaunch needs 6 months to Gain word of mouth and such. So number don't matter at this point. They are spending lots more time figuring out bugs and their roadmap
    Outside of the whole GSM only thing right now, i thought they have handled the launch of the platform well. Its been well reviewed and when i got a chance to play with a phone i was impressed by the response and just flow of it.

Just fix some of the 3rd party multitasking things and i'll give it a serious look.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Outside of the whole GSM only thing right now, i thought they have handled the launch of the platform well. Its been well reviewed and when i got a chance to play with a phone i was impressed by the response and just flow of it.

Just fix some of the 3rd party multitasking things and i'll give it a serious look.
    agreed, though I wont nip pick on minor things like 3rd party multitasking. If HP releases devices that are not of my likely, Ill def be picking WP7 over Android, due to a much better product overall.
    I wish I could quote the source, but I had read somewhere that it has outsold Vista in the same amount a time by a wide margin, but the numbers weren't as high as they would like, but that is mostly due to lagging PC sales.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Windows Phone 7, not Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I wish I could quote the source, but I had read somewhere that it has outsold Vista in the same amount a time by a wide margin, but the numbers weren't as high as they would like, but that is mostly due to lagging PC sales.
    lol but on that note...it was the fastest selling version of windows ever.
    Funny, MS was more than happy to shout sales figures for the world-beating Kinect. Apple sales figures are expected the first day of sales. I suspect if MS had something impressive to brag about, they would.
    I don't think MS is concerned about the profitability or non-profitability of WP7. They're going for mindshare and marketshare, and they've shown in the past that they're willing to support a new platform/device until it reaches maturity.

Don't forget that with the Xbox and Xbox 360, they didn't make a profit for 2-3 years after launch.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    considering how they stayed with the zune, and original xbox i think microsoft will probably think they can endure slow sales for quite a while. Not to mention. if they are just licensing the OS they don't need a super phone. They can make their money on volume. They don't exactly have the burden of supporting building hardware. And there are a lot of windows phones now or on the way all over the globe too. Another thing is Vista wasn't a hit and they just made changes. Even if Windows phone 7 was panned i could see them doing a Vista and just updating it to windows phone 8 rather quickly and saying "hey look we fixed everything you hated. Try us again."
    from what i understand wp7 is not selling very well atm. simple features are missing and even on xda there isn't alot of buzz about the new phones. there's basically no development what so ever either.

im not saying per say the phones will fail but until the devs can work their magic things might be a bit stale.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    I don't think MS is concerned about the profitability or non-profitability of WP7.
    ummm.... trust me they are. if this platform fails they are done in the smartphone market. their fanbase has already diminished greatly as most of the users/devs have gone android now. i also remember balmer saying how "risky" windows 8 will be. i don't know what that means but it worries me. sometimes i wish bill gates would return to microsoft full time.
    IDK, but Telus is bundling a 360 with every WP7 activation. I assume to spur sales...

Telus to bundle free Xbox 360 with every WP7 activation or renewal for a limited time, says leak -- Engadget
  19.    #19  
    I do think once the htc pro 7 and trophy hit sprint and Verizon next month(rumored) their sales if pale now, will start to move pretty well. You still consider iphone 4 as the main seller on AT&T, and tmobile yet has some customers is not a loud carrier like the top 3. Sprint though like Verizon has alot of android spam, will sell alot of pro 7's, just due to I belive alot of people not inticed by Android, with the pro series known, and finally another option besides android. Verizon too, even with these droids everywhere, but even with the issue with Best buy halting sales for the droid pro, and droid 2 WP7 can captialize on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Windows Phone 7, not Windows 7.
    Sorry, my mistake. I have read that estimates had them around 200,000 worldwide. That number was for active users I think (not total sales).

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast