Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    This is getting to become borderline insane! Check out this post over at Engadget!

Samsung Gloria to be a Windows 7 tablet with sliding keyboard | BGR | Boy Genius Report

You can just read that url and know its gonna be sweet! I just hope that HP is silent out of strategy and not stupidity! Actually releasing info about whats coming up will get more people excited about your product, not waiting until the last moment when people are already excited about something else and then saying "Hey wait look over here!"

[soapbox] Other prospects are really starting to look great like that Windows 7 Tablet above and wish we could get thrown a bone of some sort to gnaw on for a few weeks. I mean seesh people are copying Palm (RIM) and marketing their ideas as their own! Not that its happening on this particular post, but I wish Palm would make a mark instead of a ghost of a shadow of things remembered! [/soapbox]

In either case Windows 7 looks like its going to be a major hit!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Isn't Windows 7 already a major hit? Could you be confusing Windows Phone 7 with Windows 7?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Our company ordered 5 of the HP Slates (waiting for delivery)... the Win 7 devices are going to attract the corporate users more than any of the other OS's. This is an infant market with huge potential. HP's not going to miss anything - I'd rather have them do it right the first time out of the gate with a webOS device.
    That's not a tablet, it is a cleverly disguised laptop. A tablet is just that, no slide out keyboard or an over sized Droid.
    H-Cubed: to answer your title question, I think HP-Palm's strategy of remaining silent may be wrong too. However, there are some compelling reasons to remain quiet that I can think of: 1) your product has some really incredible, forward-thinking features that the rest of the market could copy, so you want to get your product on the market before they can copy it (Synergy was kind of copied before the Pre made it to market); 2) your product is so nascent that the features/price/release date are still very much in flux; 3) you want to keep the product itself under wraps to increase the drama of the release. I'm sure there are other good reasons, but these are just what popped into my head.

I think Palm is keeping it quiet primarily for reason #3, with a smattering of reason #2. I would like to think that reason #1 is a key driver, but I don't think there is much evidence of that, other than Rubinstein's use of the word "radical" the other day.

I think reason #3 is probably not a very good reason to keep something quiet, unless there is a little tiny leak here and there. Clearly Apple is the master of this, and uses it to great effect. Palm is perhaps a little too good at keeping a secret for this strategy to be totally effective. That, and there are a lot fewer people digging for Palm secrets.

But if it's because of reason #1, and they can actually bring something incredible to the market fairly quickly, with proper marketing support, it could definitely be worth the wait.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Didn't Ruby say something to the effect of "We're quiet because we have nothing to talk about yet"?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Didn't Ruby say something to the effect of "We're quiet because we have nothing to talk about yet"?
    Not sure whether he said that or something like, "we have nothing we can talk about yet." There is a difference. I'll see if I can find the quote.
    From PreCentral's article:
    Rubinstein promised a big 2011 when they will "aggressively" roll out new devices from a "great roadmap" of smartphones, tablets, printers, and other devices they're not quite ready to talk about yet (though we'll note that Ruby has mentioned webOS-based netbooks in the past). Asked if the upcoming hardware would put "muscle" behind webOS, Rubinstein noted that he likes to do products that are on the leading-edge of technology.
    So clearly there is stuff to talk about, at least if you take him at his word.
    That could of just been a ruse. At this point you can't read anything into what they say or don't say.
    No, that's not what he said.

He said "Right now we are really quiet cause we don't have anything we can talk about.". There is a big difference between the two. The actual quote leaves open the possibility (and I'd say the probability) that they have something, they just can't talk about it.