Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been thinking lately about the top three smartphone companies and the slow rise of WP7 and I think that WP7 can knock of andriod and be aleast #2 in the market and Webos can knock of rim and be #3 and of course IOS is #1 only becuz Iphone is a brand name and apple makes the eaisest software to use and good marketing... Just my 2cents
    I could see rim getting knocked down a notch or two with more people getting consumer oriented devices. It's hard to imagine android getting knocked out any time soon. It's got a ton of support from carriers and already is pretty popular among the regular crowd. Ms. I think webos or wp7 would need a TON more advertising before they could over take android in marketshare.
    Wow, we've officially reached fantasyland.
    See an Optometrist. No two cents, the advice is free.

I can see a market shift very soon, but more because Androids going to have a oversaturation issue, and Rim as stated above, unless they come forth with a solid touchscreen device most of their subscribers moving towards the masses. Though to me yes Apple, Microsoft, and HP has the most long term potential just due to all three companies controlling their own fate in the smartphone game(their own OS, and making their own products), and All companies having alot of experiance in the smartphone field.
  6.    #6  
    yeaa but andriod is still not appealing to consumers most have no clue what andriod is, they just think oh is that a driod or what is it??
    and as for rim they obviously are loosing tread and there pathetic accuse for a tablet is just a webos knock off so i think when webos gets its feet on the ground it can knock rim off with no problem just for the simple facted that webos is for power user and its simple and the touch interface craps on rims by far....
    Wp7 is a slow rising competitor weather you like it or not it has to many big names like zune xbox windows behind it and carriers are obviously seeing something becuz by new year all US carriers will have a WP7 on there roster and how long did it take webos and andriod to do that? **** iphone still hasnt dont it! i really dont think its failing or will fail and i think it could gain market share and enough to knock of andriod and be up there with the Iphone but like i said its just my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    yeaa but andriod is still not appealing to consumers most have no clue what andriod is, they just think oh is that a driod or what is it??
    and as for rim they obviously are loosing tread and there pathetic accuse for a tablet is just a webos knock off so i think when webos gets its feet on the ground it can knock rim off with no problem just for the simple facted that webos is for power user and its simple and the touch interface craps on rims by far....
    Wp7 is a slow rising competitor weather you like it or not it has to many big names like zune xbox windows behind it and carriers are obviously seeing something becuz by new year all US carriers will have a WP7 on there roster and how long did it take webos and andriod to do that? **** iphone still hasnt dont it! i really dont think its failing or will fail and i think it could gain market share and enough to knock of andriod and be up there with the Iphone but like i said its just my opinion...
    It's a good thing you qualified the above with this: "...but like i said its just my opinion...".

Where are you getting this information from: ...yeaa but andriod is still not appealing to consumers most have no clue what andriod is, they just think oh is that a driod or what is it??" ?

It appears you may be limiting yourself to the wider world:
    Android activations per day
  8.    #8  
    from dealing with everyday people that have no clue about phones and im aware that andriod is kicking *** right now but why? becuz they either dont want and iphone or cant get one or they dont want a rim and they have no clue about webos or wp7 becuz its brand new
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It's a good thing you qualified the above with this: "...but like i said its just my opinion...".

Where are you getting this information from: ...yeaa but andriod is still not appealing to consumers most have no clue what andriod is, they just think oh is that a driod or what is it??" ?

It appears you may be limiting yourself to the wider world:
    Android activations per day
    though I would hope so with dozens of devices, from half a dozen manufactures, on every US carrier. As stated though soon they will oversaturate the market, pitting the manufacters against each other. As well as we don't know why most people purchase a droid, or a iphone or any phone, most people in society picks what is hot at the moment and runs with it, and with the dozens of devices out there its easy to find something thats appealing to you running android. The question is will that be the case when next year consumers has a bigger choice to choose from(webos, WP7, VZ iphone, BB storm3 etc)? Since when did a company in a paticular field become proven in 2 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ...snip Since when did a company in a paticular field become proven in 2 years?
    Answer:Apple iPhone has been proven in two years.

Your end statement would have made more sense if it had been: Since when is any companies future success in a particular field guaranteed two years into the future.

Answer=Still Apple

They have a game plan and the iPhone doesn't stand on it's own, it's part of a larger picture.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/11/2010 at 05:31 PM.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I can see a market shift very soon, but more because Androids going to have a oversaturation issue, and Rim as stated above, unless they come forth with a solid touchscreen device most of their subscribers moving towards the masses. Though to me yes Apple, Microsoft, and HP has the most long term potential just due to all three companies controlling their own fate in the smartphone game(their own OS, and making their own products), and All companies having alot of experiance in the smartphone field.

What does this even mean? "Windows is going to have oversaturation issue" - does that makes any sense?

All Smart-phone makers except for Apple have a problem in that commodification is becoming an issue for smartphones and everybody is in a race to the bottom in terms of prices. Android is actually in a better position than the competition because the licensing is free, when the focus moves to shifting boxes rather than hero phones that's going to make a bit difference to smart-phone margins.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Answer:Apple iPhone has been proven in two years.

Your end statement would have made more sense if it had been: Since when is any companies future success in a particular field guaranteed two years into the future.

Answer=Still Apple

They have a game plan and the iPhone doesn't stand on it's own, it's part of a larger picture.
    People should forget apple in their discussions, their model is completely different and is based upon differentiation via brand - not something that HP can actually do.
    Apple can be knocked off, but not anytime soon. As far as WP7 climbing up, I'm not so sure. With so many people (myself included) dissuaded by the old WinMo experience, such a climb will be tricky.
    For better or worse Android will end up number one. The cell phone carriers will always want the control and the customizations, and will continue to release Android phones in droves.

The iPhone will remain the mass market premium brand much like they are in computers.

The question now is who gets third place, webOS, WP7, RIM, MeeGo? RIM is in the lead but trending downward heavily. Microsoft is spending like a drunken sailor on WP7. There are no forthcoming details on webOS. MeeGo is just getting started.

I don't believe there is room for 5 or 6 players. If you don't end up in third you are on a dying platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    People should forget apple in their discussions, their model is completely different and is based upon differentiation via brand - not something that HP can actually do.
    How convenient. Ignore them because their different.

Let's see, you have Motorola Droid, a brand, Google Nexus, a brand, Samsung Galaxy, a brand. I guess HP is not a brand.

Now I agree Apple uses a model, all businesses do, expect maybe Palm. Is that model different from Google or MS, probably. Does that mean it shoud be ignored? Only if it is not successful, which is not the case.

What are the business models, and which one is HP most likely to adopt?
    This thread is full of dreams lol. Android will be number 1 in a couple more years and webs might be 3rd. IPhone will either be one or 2. Wp7 is not going anywhere.

Sent From My HTC EVO 4G Using Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Maybe without andriod... but without Android, i doubt it
    Developer of iCopter 2.2 for webOS.

If you have any remark, complain or feature request, let me know :
    iCopter 2.1 Precentral thread
    This thread is funny.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How convenient. Ignore them because their different.

Let's see, you have Motorola Droid, a brand, Google Nexus, a brand, Samsung Galaxy, a brand. I guess HP is not a brand.

Now I agree Apple uses a model, all businesses do, expect maybe Palm. Is that model different from Google or MS, probably. Does that mean it shoud be ignored? Only if it is not successful, which is not the case.

What are the business models, and which one is HP most likely to adopt?
    You've completely misunderstood what I've said and are mixing up Apple as a company as a brand with various product lines as brands - different things. Have some reading:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/...azines_fortune

HP cannot adopt Apple's model because they simply don't have the brand equity of anything but a grey box shifter and will be subject to commedification.
    It's OK not to be number one, two or three.....it's market share that matters. If you are fourth or fifth with 1.8% market share your done. If you have a reasonable user base then all will be well.
    I'm not hung up on #1....I am dying for new hardware....CES, CES, CES. HP/PALM better hit one out of the park!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast