Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Not that I think it's likely, but here is the first plausible mention I've seen of the possibility of MS Kin-ing WP7:

I continue to hear from my contacts that there is a very real fear out there that Microsoft might “Kin” WP7 by pulling the plug if early sales are disappointing.
    *If* they did, would that open up the market for WebOS, or rather frighten HP management and slow down (assuming that's possible!) the release of future WebOS devices?

(As I can't see Ballmer surviving the cancellation of WP7, I can't see WP7 being cancelled anytime soon.... unless as part of a move to remove Ballmer, of course!)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I simply cannot see it at this stage to do so would be to concede the vital mobile space to other players. The big difference for palm is that they would be last rather than having to fight for second to last.

Sent from my Orange San Francisco using Tapatalk
    at the very least, it would show palm how difficult it is for a large company with a scarred reputation in the mobile space, to regain ground. HP-palm now fits both of those descriptions.

my guess is that hp is looking a the wm7 launch very closely to see what things should be copied/avoided with the relaunch of webOS.

one thing i'm noticing is that ms launching with so many devices at once may not have been the best decision. sure, the number of android devices available is part of the reasoning behind the platforms success, but each device is given its time to shine. for this reason i'm hoping that rumors of palms staggered launch next year hold true.
    I don't think it will make a big difference having or not right away. Later on it might be the reason Meego, Webos, or Blackberry doesn't make it I guess.

No way.
    They know mobile is the next frontier. They now just have to focus on updating the software for hardware refreshes in June and December 2011.

"I continue to hear from my contacts that there is a very real fear out there that Microsoft might “Kin” WP7 by pulling the plug if early sales are disappointing. I seriously doubt this is the case, as I’ve heard those joining the Windows Phone 7 team (at a high level) were asked to make a five-year commitment to the project."

They have 4,000 apps already and 18,000 devs.
    (Apps | Windows Phone 7)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    that means nothing if they have no sales. I'm not trying to imply that I know anything about their sales numbers, i'm just saying.

honestly I doubt MS will back out anytime soon. They'll strong arm the way into relevancy.
    never gonna happen
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    They know mobile is the next frontier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    honestly I doubt MS will back out anytime soon. They'll strong arm the way into relevancy.
    these two nailed it. As much money as MS makes, they can afford to loose money on mobile just to keep their name out there until they improve their product.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I don't see MS EOLing WP7 until the next major version (WP8 ?) is out. They might have pulled the plug on the kin but its back on the market again and cheap with a contract and can be used without the high priced data packaged now, unlike before were Verizon forced the unlimited data package to be used with the phone which did not help its original sales.

Either way MS has a proven history of dumping huge sums of money to work itself into a market they want to be in so don't expect them to leave the mobile market anytime soon.
    I don't see them canceling WP7... I think if anything, they will link WP7 and a future version of the zune HD and continue to push both. Currently the Zune HD cannot run the WP7 games/apps, but I'd imagine it's just a matter of time... why wouldn't they copy apple's model? Heck, why doesn't HP copy it and release webOS MP3 players???
    In answer to the OP's question, it just means WebOS moves up one place from the bottom. It doesn't mean they jump up to IOS/Android space.
    WP7 will not be cancelled 1 month in. Kin was a totally different issue for a variety of reasons.
    Not a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Zero. No reason to. Hell they still make Zunes and those don't exactly dominate the market. Absolute wishful thinking. Truthfully they could probably outsell webos' first year and people may say it didn't do well cause people expect a lot more of microsoft.
    Verizon pioneered Android and they could easily do the same for Windows Phone 7. We'll see what happens when devices hit the big red and Sprint.