1.    #1  
    While I a very happy with my Evo I have some tips that Google should do that could easily erase some negatives that people see. I put this in cross platform since iOS and WebOS do some of these. I hope this will spur a good conversation without any mud slinging.

1. Standard copy and paste throughout the OS.
    -This one boggles my head. Why, even with the improved copy & paste in 2.3, is it not system wide is beyond me. I feel like something like this is very simple to do. If they do that, and then update their sdk so app developers can implement the same function into their apps, that would go a long way. While this doesn't bother me too much, its just a head scratcher.

2. SDK standard buttons and suggested actions.
    -Google, I know you are all about open and not handcuffing developers, but its a bit daunting for some people to go into an android and apps have different UI's and different menu button functions throughout. Again, deal breaker? Far from it, but these small changes you can make go a long way. The way the system is setup now however, there would be no way to MAKE developers use what is provided but suggesting it is the first big step. Including one to quiet those who think you need a task manager, just make "Quit App" a HIGHLY suggested option in the Menu.

3. Google Video Chat
    -Yes it looks like this is coming and better yet it looks like its integrated with Google Talk but I think wisely, it might also make sense to have it built in like Apple's facetime. Have it so when you are creating your google profile (or signing in with your current one) your number is tied to it. I think Facetime's use of even being able to switch to video chat while in a phone call is pretty awesome. Apple was also able to implement this with little loss of battery life. Judging by how well managed Google Talk is already, i'm sure they can handle that.

To kinda sum up those 3....a big improvement is simply OS cohesion. I think this is where people start calling it "clunky". Do i think its clunky? No...but i do think it can be improved so opening a new app isn't like learning a whole new set of rules again.

But again, without an app approval process i don't know how they could enforce this and I don't see Google having an app approval process anytime soon. But honestly, other than that, I think they have a reallly reallly really solid OS on their hands that will only get better. Things are fast and snappy, I personally don't care about "fragmentation" as if i think my buying habits will have me with the top end devices each year if i stick with android.

Anyway....suggestions/agreements/disagreements?
    I'm pretty sure Android 2.3 solves issues #1 and #2. Not entirely sure about #2 but I know copy/paste has been completely redone in 2.3 (Android 2.3 Platform Highlights | Android Developers).

I would expect to see a FaceTime equivalent (probably tied into gTalk) come Android 3.0.. maybe even sooner.
  3.    #3  
    C&P has been redone...but its not consistent throughout. Check the Engadget review of the Nexus S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    C&P has been redone...but its not consistent throughout. Check the Engadget review of the Nexus S.
    I was afraid of that. If their new implementation was consistent throughout the entire OS, like iOS is .. then it would be something great.
    they can send it to the scrap yard, crush it into little itty bitty pieces then pour hot lava on it.......just kidding.

I think they are moving in the right direction, after seeing the Nexus S, and reading the review with 2.3 on it. They are trying to make it less cartoony, and more elegant and mature. I think as long as they continue doing so, it will start to really chip away at the iphones mass market. The minor things, im sure they are getting to, and implementing in all their updates.
  6.    #6  
    Well they are already chipping away at the iphone market as is.
    Well they are already chipping away at the iphone market as is.
    sure dosent look that way does it:

As for the iPhone, Apple sold 8.398 million, compared to 5.208 during the same period last year, a 61 percent increase. So much for the “Antenngate” controversy so far, though a real issue appears to be channel inventory weakness. With a shocking ship time of three weeks at the online store, and repeated delays of the white model, Apple appears to be having serious problems catching up with demand for the iPhone 4.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8.    #8  
    I'm not saying the iPhone isn't selling well still, but the fact android phone have outsold the iPhone cumulatively (as many would expect) the last few quarters.

More at the expense of every other phone platform of course.
    I'm not saying the iPhone isn't selling well still, but the fact android phone have outsold the iPhone cumulatively (as many would expect) the last few quarters.

More at the expense of every other phone platform of course.
    up 61% is more then well, especially still only on one carrier, and with a new OS that had a boom of a year. Though as stated initially I stated maybe it will chip away at Iphone sells, and unless year over year the iphone sold less (which it didnt) android to this point has not chipped away at any of Iphones sales. Just more of took away from a weak market that had very little competition for the year. Even look at another post someone just posted regarding Verizon struck out, it shows why AT&T still cought up to Verizon despites Verizon success with Android.
    Fragmentation is a major issue. I would have half A's much hesitance towards android if I knew I was getting a device that would be updated throughout it's life and didn't take a year to get that update. I have recently played with a droid incredible and am much more impressed with sense ui then googles own. The camera and widgets are far better. Makes me Feel like I have options if palm doesn't come through in January, but I'd still be weary because I want a phone that is always up to date. Even now, with 2.0 being out for the pre 2 and not us, it's still not nearly A's bad A's it is with google. The epic doesnt even have 2.2 yet! Other then fragmentation, I'd say it would be nice if the os itself had a better overall flow. Sense and samsungs skin add nice ui touches which really enhance the phone and without those, the os would be just Eh, but an overall better looking and flowing os would be easier to upgrade then an os with a special skin. I also think multitasking needs an overhaul on android bigtime. I do have a bit more love for android after seeing it's skinned form in sense and playing more with it. Just does not have the simplicity webos does A's far A's multitasking. It's going to be an interesting year for mobile phones this year
  11.    #11  
    Sense is the best UI skin IMO. HTC does seem like the most adamant about updating their phones. The Evo and Incredible were the first non Nexus phones to get Froyo.

Additionally, if rooting is your thing, HTC has the largest hacking community thus far across their phones.
    1. Better quality apps, it has 100,000 apps, yet I couldn't find a good podcast app that retain downloaded files after server removes them from the feed.

2. Better multitasking, it now close my background apps when it likes, it's stupid.

3. Better notification system.

4. Add swipe gesture.

5. Make front cam usable. Most video chat apps can't use fron cam now, and who actually use qik? Like nobody?
    Sense is the best UI skin IMO. HTC does seem like the most adamant about updating their phones. The Evo and Incredible were the first non Nexus phones to get Froyo.

Additionally, if rooting is your thing, HTC has the largest hacking community thus far across their phones.
    My problem with them is that their displays (comparatively speaking against a Super AMOLED or Retina Display) suck, and their cameras - still and video - are rather underwhelming too. I'm not particularly pleased with the crappy GPUs in the first generation of Snapdragon chipsets either.

It's not just with Android. I was in an AT&T store yesterday, and the Samsung Focus (w/ Super AMOLED) and HTC HD7 were right next to each other, and the HD7 looked washed out and dingy by comparison.

Not that Samsung is the greatest, either, but I can put up with their idiosyncrasies and weaknesses moreso than I can with HTC these days.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. Better quality apps, it has 100,000 apps, yet I couldn't find a good podcast app that retain downloaded files after server removes them from the feed.

2. Better multitasking, it now close my background apps when it likes, it's stupid.

3. Better notification system.

4. Add swipe gesture.

5. Make front cam usable. Most video chat apps can't use fron cam now, and who actually use qik? Like nobody?
    1. I think you said this before and i mentioned BeyondPod.
    2. I haven't found this to be an issue as of yet....esp. since apps open up instantly. Anytime I am working with multiple apps the ones i need open are still open. Its when my phone sites for an hour that some of the apps closed out. That sees appropriate.
    3. Its ok where it stands...what it needs is the ability to dismiss one notification at a time and i'd say it would be perfect for my uses.
    4. Why? I mean if you like swiping sure, but i'm also very fine with check boxes for multiple selections in my email.
    5. Sure out of the Box....but there is Qik, Fring, Tango, Yahoo Messenger...there are a bunch of video apps that use the front camera.
    Yahoo messenger doesn't use my galaxy tab front camera. Qik, Fring, Tango don't support phone to computer chat. I need a chat software that can interact with people I care, while none of them using an android with a qik, fring or tango.

I asked podcast question at android central. I have received no satisfying answer. I will give beyondpod a try, should have answer in a week.

multitasking is definitely lacking, when Im working on document to go, then switch to check browser, then when i got back to doc to go, my file is closed. when I re-open it, I have to scroll it a long way to the place I was working on previously.

and now it closes my firefox mobile when its in background, with no apparent logic, seemingly random. The stock browser is really slow and I need all my passwords, etc from my desktop firefox to sync over to my firefox mobile.

The AIM in background kept dropping at a random pace.

swipe is not only about email. webOS has so many place I can just swipe, bookmarks, shopping list, videos, etc, etc
    Some apps already have some swipe gesture (mostly apps that were ported from iOS), but, as pointed out earlier in the thread, it's not standardized.

Google really has no way to standardize anything at this point. They can put out a recommendation saying "Seriously, guys, would you please use the swipe gesture?!" but with no approval process for their app store and 100,000 legacy apps (most of which will probably never be updated), there's really no way they could get apps to update...
    Okay, beyondpod downloaded new episode of TAL, but I can't see them in android music player? Both downloaded files show a small lock, locked? Why? I already configured beyondpod to allow music player to see the file it downloaded.