Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WOW!!!
    I've never used an iPhone or the iPod Touch before and I always argue with the guys at work about how much better the WebOS is over the iOS (which I still believe)... and I wanted so bad to NOT be impressed!!

...but that SCREEN!!! I'm just blown away at the responsiveness of that SCREEN!!! Makes the experience 10x better! (sometimes I just move the icons around just to watch and feel the smoothness!)

I'm so used to tapping my Pre screen and then waiting and wondering if my Pre even knows it's supposed to do something (ie, the lock screen!). ...or the lag of the screen's response to my finger movements. (btw, I have a Sprint Pre bought around Sep2009. Still have my first one. and its patched and running at 1Ghz)

I read that Apple bought that technology from Fingerworks and has patented everything so it's difficult to duplicate. That's why, here we are 4 years later and STILL nobody else has matched the iPhone/iPod's screen responsiveness.

So my questions: I've heard here at P|C that the Pre2 is a bit speedier. Is it just as good as the iPhone/iPod Touch? Would hardware acceleration bring it up to iPhone standards? and lastly, has there been any whispers about the upcoming 2011 WebOS phones having an equivalent screen response experience (as those other guys)....or has everyone just accepted the fact that Apple's screen response can't be matched? I don't hear much about that issue here and to me the user experience is what makes the iPhone an iPhone (or iPod Touch). If HPalm could duplicate just that one feature then WebOS would be top dog w it's amazing OS!!
    I'll let you in on a little secret. Give it about half a year of real use and the responsiveness goes to ****. And of course restores don't help. At that point you'll probably be wishing you could get the responsiveness from the iTouch you're getting from your Pre, I know I do.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I've got a sprint pre and it's 1GHz and I never touch something and sit and wait for it. I have no clue what your talking about with the lock screen, unless you mean hitting the top button for the screen to come on? Mine does take a second to come on when I do that. And screen response seems to lag sometimes because the default drag radius is really high. If you patch it to the 10px drag radius you will see that it is very quick and responsive when you are dragging across the screen. As far as anyone equaling the overall speed of the UI, they say the pre2 is definitely in the ball park. That's according to iphone loving engadget so that's high praise.
    I think you just got the Ultimate Combo there. A verizon Pre Plus with WiFi Hotspot and your Ipod are an unbeatable duo. Use the things you like in WebOS, then turn on the WiFi and get goin on your Ipod. I carry them together all day,
    Just use the Pre 2. Then come back and compare them.
    Part of that is also down to how iOS works.
    Apple made sure that screen responsiveness and the iOS response to user input is always its #1 priority.

So no matter how much the device is having to work, even if its struggling to do something, it will always put user input first.

Same goes for all the clever little animation touches they put in.

User experience is #1.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I've got a sprint pre and it's 1GHz and I never touch something and sit and wait for it. I have no clue what your talking about with the lock screen, unless you mean hitting the top button for the screen to come on? Mine does take a second to come on when I do that. And screen response seems to lag sometimes because the default drag radius is really high. If you patch it to the 10px drag radius you will see that it is very quick and responsive when you are dragging across the screen. As far as anyone equaling the overall speed of the UI, they say the pre2 is definitely in the ball park. That's according to iphone loving engadget so that's high praise.
    I tried one of those radius patches (i think the 15px?) but sometimes I would hold down on an icon to move it and I couldn't get it to move so I removed the patch thinking it was the problem. Turns out it wasn't. I'll try the 10px and see if that works better. Thx for the input. But that lock screen... You never had it just sit there after you've hit a number...and do nothing? I wait and wait for the number to light up; sometimes it does and sometimes it never lights up. Maybe a Dr. visit is in order!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    Part of that is also down to how iOS works.
    Apple made sure that screen responsiveness and the iOS response to user input is always its #1 priority.

So no matter how much the device is having to work, even if its struggling to do something, it will always put user input first.

Same goes for all the clever little animation touches they put in.

User experience is #1.
    I think HPalm should put "User experience" at the top of theirs too! Makes all the difference in the world...at least it does for me. I don't even do much on the iPod yet cuz I'm not familiar with it...so I just turn it on and move things around cuz I'm so amazed by it.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
    I tried one of those radius patches (i think the 15px?) but sometimes I would hold down on an icon to move it and I couldn't get it to move so I removed the patch thinking it was the problem. Turns out it wasn't. I'll try the 10px and see if that works better. Thx for the input. But that lock screen... You never had it just sit there after you've hit a number...and do nothing? I wait and wait for the number to light up; sometimes it does and sometimes it never lights up. Maybe a Dr. visit is in order!
    Ahhhh I see. When I hear lock screen I think puck thing screen. Man I turn my screen off and on so much I'd kill myself putting a pin in everytime, so I've never even used it. My bad I'll use it for a bit and see if it happens to me.
  10.    #10  
    Ahhhh I see. When I hear lock screen I think puck thing screen. Man I turn my screen off and on so much I'd kill myself putting a pin in everytime, so I've never even used it. My bad
    ya, me too and its a pain but can't let the gf snoop through it!!
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    ya, me too and its a pain but can't let the gf snoop through it!!
    lol I'm married and have been for 8 years. If my wife picked my phone up and I had the lock screen on I'd already be dead. If I had stuff I didn't want her to see I might as well hope she just never comes across it.
    I think HPalm should put "User experience" at the top of theirs too! Makes all the difference in the world...at least it does for me. I don't even do much on the iPod yet cuz I'm not familiar with it...so I just turn it on and move things around cuz I'm so amazed by it.
    WebOS is already pretty good for that i think - at least, now that it has the hardware to back it up

But yeah, they should certainly do everything they can to make the UI as responsive to touch and gestures as they can. If the device -feels- better to use, people kinda automatically think its a better device.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    But that lock screen... You never had it just sit there after you've hit a number...and do nothing? I wait and wait for the number to light up; sometimes it does and sometimes it never lights up. Maybe a Dr. visit is in order!
    My lock screen will sit there sometimes while I'm typing on it and eventually catch up to what I typed, usually before I hit enter to unlock. If I turn the screen on and it sits for an extra second before I start typing it doesn't do that. I was assuming it was lag from the processor changing to it's screen-on speed.
    lol I'm married and have been for 8 years. If my wife picked my phone up and I had the lock screen on I'd already be dead. If I had stuff I didn't want her to see I might as well hope she just never comes across it.
    You mean your wife doesn't know all your passwords and PINs already.

I run with a lock screen because I have my work email on there. I also have the lock set to 30 minutes so I don't have to keep unlocking every time the screen turns off.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsheldon View Post
    I think you just got the Ultimate Combo there. A verizon Pre Plus with WiFi Hotspot and your Ipod are an unbeatable duo. Use the things you like in WebOS, then turn on the WiFi and get goin on your Ipod. I carry them together all day,
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Just use the Pre 2. Then come back and compare them.
    Ultimate combo? I have a sprint pre(-). And since I'm on sprint I can't get the Pre2.
    I have a Verizon Palm Pre+, iPad, and also unlocked GSM Palm Pre 2. I will tell you the Pre 2 with the glass screen and 1GHz processor is as responsive as iPod Touch, iPad, and iPhone. The form factor of the Pre 2 should have been the Pre+...It pretty much fix the cheapo shiny plastic parts of the top half of the Pre and the gorilla glass screen and 1GHz processor with webOS 2.x is quick.

Hopefully, 2011 will be the "Return of webOS" or at least the "HP Empire Strikes Back"...
    So my questions: I've heard here at P|C that the Pre2 is a bit speedier. Is it just as good as the iPhone/iPod Touch? Would hardware acceleration bring it up to iPhone standards? and lastly, has there been any whispers about the upcoming 2011 WebOS phones having an equivalent screen response experience (as those other guys)....or has everyone just accepted the fact that Apple's screen response can't be matched?
    A: The responsiveness is not as good as the iPhone/iPod touch. Look at the videos on youtube reviewing the phone as well the WebOS 2.0 review on this site.
    Last edited by stung; 12/09/2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: removed a comma
    Sprint pre was very unresponsive today. I kept on getting phone card and mail card when I wanted SprintNav. Also phone and mail cards refused to be tossed off the screen. Also I could not move to the left to get to the sprintnav card.
    All this happening in traffic, when I was well on my way to getting lost in the one-way nightmare that is Boston downtown (I am intact and my passenger did make it to the train on time).

So what is this problem? Because of the cold and dryness?
    I have a Pre2 and it is very responsive and quick. Get one in your hands and be the judge for yourself. I too am with Sprint but pay for an extra line on my son's T-mobile acct just so I can use the Pre2 to try everything.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    I have a Verizon Palm Pre+, iPad, and also unlocked GSM Palm Pre 2. I will tell you the Pre 2 with the glass screen and 1GHz processor is as responsive as iPod Touch, iPad, and iPhone. The form factor of the Pre 2 should have been the Pre+...It pretty much fix the cheapo shiny plastic parts of the top half of the Pre and the gorilla glass screen and 1GHz processor with webOS 2.x is quick.

Hopefully, 2011 will be the "Return of webOS" or at least the "HP Empire Strikes Back"...
    Hey, that's the best news I've heard in a long time!! I thought I was just gonna have to live with iPhone envy (which I couldn't bare to live with let alone admit!!)

Ya, I keep telling all the guys here in my dept that next year they'll be wanting a WebOS device!! HPalm better not let us down!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast