Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
    Ultimate combo? I have a sprint pre(-). And since I'm on sprint I can't get the Pre2.
    Hopefully, Sprint will fix that soon. I have my fingers crossed for that...

Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    A: The responsiveness is not as good as the iPhone/iPod touch. Look at the videos on youtube reviewing the phone as well the WebOS 2.0 review on this site.
    I figured the responsiveness was a lot better than the Pre minus, but not as good. However, once I got one in my hands it completely blew me away. Videos/reviews do it no justice. You literally just have to feel it and watch it yourself to see.

Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I have a Pre2 and it is very responsive and quick. Get one in your hands and be the judge for yourself.
    Exactly.
    @bbeck

I think if I were to rate the major OSs on responsiveness it'd go something like this

iOS
    webOS
    Android
    Windows Phone 7 (based on my experience with the zune HD, may not be representative)
    Blackberry OS

Android has beautiful hardware, and functional software, but the software is just, stuttery (?) on every android device I've played with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    User experience is #1.
    Actually, "illusion of user experience" is #1. It doesn't matter if it loads any faster, or even if it takes longer to load... so long as it LOOKS responsive.

It's a neat trick, but that's what it is. Like pricing your app $.99 instead of $1.00
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Actually, "illusion of user experience" is #1. It doesn't matter if it loads any faster, or even if it takes longer to load... so long as it LOOKS responsive.

It's a neat trick, but that's what it is. Like pricing your app $.99 instead of $1.00
    Oh yeah, totally. Its the same with Mobile Safari showing and animating a grid when you scroll over parts of the page that havent loaded or rendered.
    It still looks like you're doing something.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post

I think that's smart tho. I don't get frustrated as easily on my ipad. I was attempting to scroll through this thread wile preware was loading, and remembered that that was the reason I couldn't scroll without hickups. What if webos paused that wile I was scrolling, or slowed it down enough so that I didn't notice anything in the browser. I wouldn't even have to think about it
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    @bbeck

I think if I were to rate the major OSs on responsiveness it'd go something like this

iOS
    webOS
    Android
    Windows Phone 7 (based on my experience with the zune HD, may not be representative)
    Blackberry OS

Android has beautiful hardware, and functional software, but the software is just, stuttery (?) on every android device I've played with.
    Well i disagree here.

iOS and Windows 7 are tied. Seriously, go use the phone, its just as zippy and quick and every review mentions the same thing.

Android
    WebOS
    et al

Don't know what android device you used by my Evo compared to my Pre is much more responsive. I will say, the Pre's, iPhone and Windows 7 scrolling is more organic...meaning its momentum based scrolling seems less mechanical than androids....but my Pre would lag and stutter and not recognize touches constantly.
    Also, ZuneHD was always more responsive than my Pre....unless something was wrong with yours.

Scrolling is the same on windows 7 and ZuneHD....zippy and responsive. The most iPhone like out of anything else right now.

Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Well i disagree here.

iOS and Windows 7 are tied. Seriously, go use the phone, its just as zippy and quick and every review mentions the same thing.

Android
    WebOS
    et al

Don't know what android device you used by my Evo compared to my Pre is much more responsive. I will say, the Pre's, iPhone and Windows 7 scrolling is more organic...meaning its momentum based scrolling seems less mechanical than androids....but my Pre would lag and stutter and not recognize touches constantly.
    Agreed.

On iOS and WP7 the ratio of input to response time is virtually 1:1. They are that fast. WP7 is just as fast but the fluidness is even more graphically impressive imo.
    Yup, the video above really shows that point. Look how fast the person goes through pictures in the gallery. My android device does it pretty fast but not THAT fast.

WebOS and picture browsing....well, we know how that goes. Good for maybe 3 pictures then slows down tremendously. I'm a fan of Windows Phone 7.....i'm hoping around v. 2 it fixes some issues i see with it. But UI and touch responsiveness are not two of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I think that's smart tho. I don't get frustrated as easily on my ipad. I was attempting to scroll through this thread wile preware was loading, and remembered that that was the reason I couldn't scroll without hickups. What if webos paused that wile I was scrolling, or slowed it down enough so that I didn't notice anything in the browser. I wouldn't even have to think about it
    If you want a similar experience on iOS try downloading/updating apps while wanting to load/view a web site. My touch completely seizes up until those updates all go into queue and then seizes every time one finishes and another begins.

Also, Preware is kind of a bad example to try to draw a comparison with since it's technically not an officially approved or supported application. Preware gets the "you can do it if you want nod" and that's about it for "official" support.
    I think all OS will hiccup when updating/installing apps. Thats understandable.
    Indeed. I can imagine just how large Preware's default feeds probably are, the feed download for Preware probably might as well be considered an app "update" in and of itself.
    I had an iPod Touch for a while (year and a half before it was stolen) and the responsiveness of tapping it and program launching has actually decreased over said time.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I had an iPod Touch for a while (year and a half before it was stolen) and the responsiveness of tapping it and program launching has actually decreased over said time.
    The last OS update really shines more so on the iPhone 4. Really isn't that surprising...Apple is just trying to pretend that all the iOS devices in the market will function the same forever.

Wouldn't be surprised if moving forward the iPhone 3G is officially left behind on major updates.
    Wouldn't be surprised if moving forward the iPhone 3G is officially left behind on major updates.
    Of course it will. And a year later, so will the 3GS.

In the same vein, don't count on your original Pre or Plus getting a webOS 3.0 update either, although the Pre 2 will most certainly get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If you want a similar experience on iOS try downloading/updating apps while wanting to load/view a web site. My touch completely seizes up until those updates all go into queue and then seizes every time one finishes and another begins.

Also, Preware is kind of a bad example to try to draw a comparison with since it's technically not an officially approved or supported application. Preware gets the "you can do it if you want nod" and that's about it for "official" support.
    It seizes it up because pre ware loads everything up all at once. That'll change soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Just a general question, have you used any OS whose speed does not decrease over time, and if so which?
    due to the oversight by hp palm, since epocrates is no longer supported, I've had to carry the touch with my pre plus. The free mobile hotspot comes in tremendously handy, and the combo of devices is sweet. Just annoying to carry two devices again...
    I can contribute as I've dealt with all major OSs thoroughly except Android. Without a doubt WP7 and iOS are the most responsive I've dealt with. Ever. You tap and slowly slide your finger on a webpage, list, etc and the phone starts to slowly scroll with the tiniest movement. The Pre doesn't respond right away but will "jump" to the position once you've moved your finger a small distance. There's a patch that helps with this but it still made my phone scroll jumpily.

Also, sometimes on the Pre you'd flick your finger for a quick scroll and the phone wouldn't respond for a second, then suddenly scroll a few seconds after. I really think this has to do with the screen technology though. I've noticed that phones with plastic screens just don't respond as quickly as ones with glass screens. I'd love to see a comparison of Pre 2 against WP7, iP4, and an Evo or something.
    ...Apple is just trying to pretend that all the iOS devices in the market will function the same forever.
    If you are going to try an make a dig, at least try and have the facts. There were features left out on updates for 2g and 3g.

Gee, did the fact the iPhone 2g did not get a 4.0 update be a clue?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/12/2010 at 08:37 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast