1.    #1  
    so it seems so far with Gizmodo, and Engagdet that Googles Chrome netbook is pretty solid. Though it has its short comings (as all netbooks do) it seems to be not a bad alternative to a windows 7 netbook. Here are the links:

An Hour With the Google Cr-48 Chrome Netbook

Google Cr-48 Chrome laptop preview (update: video!) -- Engadget

So hopefully sometime next year, we will see a Webos netbook along with the tablet, and smartphones. I for one would love to see HP create its own eco system, and start marching through the market.
    Why on earth would you want that? The Cr-48 is a black Macbook minus the hard drive and optical drive. Nothing to see there. The OS is a web browser with some off-line functionality. How exactly does this advance the ball? How would HP benefit from another ill-thought out, me-too product?
    Better hardware than the Jolicloud Jolibook for sure... but i'd much rather use the Jolicloud OS, for sure. It's much more attractive, much more functional, and just as free.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    I would use my phone or a pad/tablet any day, why use a semi crippled laptop to check email and do basic stuff tchrome does, it reminds me very much of the linux OS the original asus netbook came with.
    Man the short sightedness in people on forums is amazing.

1. The laptop is more a developers laptop if anything.
    2. The OS isn't trying to replace your main computer....yet. Where i see this making sense is replacement of thin clients. Say, a row of check in computers at an airport that are running Chrome OS and are...free.
    3. ITS FREE. And supported by google. This thing would be perfect (when it matures) for certain uses.

No its not aimed at everybody (again, not yet) but i'd rather get this than a netbook for MY uses. I have a desktop and if i want to go portable i would want something that boots fast and is cheap. Plus i use any google services that would make this even more useful.
    I applied (really, all I did was fill out some info and check some boxes) to be a beta tester for this thing. I think it looks pretty cool and would love try it out and see how it holds up from the use of a college student.
    Aside from the hideously ugly looks it seems best suited for those who absolutely MUST have portable access to Google services outside of their Android device. It really seems kind of useless.
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 12/09/2010 at 08:50 PM.
    its an expensive piece of gadget that does 10% of windows 7 can do.

Google is betting too much on the cloud.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Aside from the hideously ugly looks it seems best suited for those who absolutely MUST have portable access to Google services outside of their Android device. It really seems kind of useless.
    Read post #5 in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    1. The laptop is more a developers laptop if anything.
    Then why should the general public care?

2. The OS isn't trying to replace your main computer....yet.
    Nor your secondary computer, nor your phone, or any other consumer device.

Where i see this making sense is replacement of thin clients.
    So why should we care?

Say, a row of check in computers at an airport that are running Chrome OS and are...free.
    Why would airports replace their existing, more powerful systems for this?

3. ITS FREE. And supported by google. This thing would be perfect (when it matures) for certain uses.
    That's the second time you said it's free. Is that the only trump card Google has? Buy an Android phone and get any other Android phone free. Let us log your keystrokes and get a crappy netbook free. When free is all you've got, there is something wrong.

No its not aimed at everybody (again, not yet) but i'd rather get this than a netbook for MY uses.
    I thought this wasn't a consumer facing product. Which is it?

I have a desktop and if i want to go portable i would want something that boots fast and is cheap. Plus i use any google services that would make this even more useful.
    You mean, like an iPad, smartphone, or netbook? I'm afraid I need a little more clarification of what and who this thing is for.
    Without doing the forum habit of quoting every sentence, i'll type like a normal human.

You don't have to care, nor did i say its not consumer facing. This particular laptop is NOT consumer facing but the OS itself is when it his laptops next year.. I think it has multiple uses. If you don't want it...thats good for you. Yes being free is huge for the overall cost.

I don't know if you've used a $250 netbook with Windows.....it doesn't run well...at all. If a Chrome based netbook came out at that price, and was speedy I would personally rather have that for portability. You bring up iPad, smartphone or netbook....but all i'll say to you in that regard is:
    Full browsing without compromises and a full size keyboard when you actually want to do some work in Google Docs. I'm not editing my resume on the fly using my mobile phone...hate to break it to you.
    BM, funny you mention editing a resume on the fly. I have actually done that in a lobby before an interview and printed it out from my iPad. You would be surprised at what today's mobile devices can do. You are worried about the limitations of portable systems? The Chrome OS is a web browser with some off-line abilities. How much more limited can you get?

You are not running Office on this thing, or any of the mobile equivalents outside of Gdocks. Good luck with Flash games and movies on this thing. I am having a hard time envisioning the consumer demand for this product. It is a solution in search of a problem.
    Not really buying into this either, but if it makes chrome better i am all for it! I once loved firefox, but every time i try a browser other than chrome i am disappointed. I think Google is evil but chrome is crack like.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    BM, funny you mention editing a resume on the fly. I have actually done that in a lobby before an interview and printed it out from my iPad. You would be surprised at what today's mobile devices can do. You are worried about the limitations of portable systems? The Chrome OS is a web browser with some off-line abilities. How much more limited can you get?

You are not running Office on this thing, or any of the mobile equivalents outside of Gdocks. Good luck with Flash games and movies on this thing. I am having a hard time envisioning the consumer demand for this product. It is a solution in search of a problem.
    Much like the iPad and future tablets.

It would be stupid to think this could replace everyone's needs everywhere. But i have family members that ONLY browse the web and casually edit documents. If the price is right i don't know why this wouldn't work for casual computer users.
    Good OS for tablets maybe, but not actual laptops and PCs

My Themes:CLICK HERE