Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In this case, resolution is measured in pixels, the height times the width.

The Nexus S is 480 x 800 = 384K pixels = 0.384 MP.

The Pre 2 is 320 x 480 = 154k pixels = 0.154 MP.

A 0.384 MP resolution display is more than twice the resolution of a 0.154 MP display.

Therefore, the Nexus S display is more than twice the resolution of the Pre 2.

What am I missing?

- Craig
    I think when most people talk about resolution they tend to mean lines of horizontal and vertical resolution, not total pixels. That being said, we both agree that the resolution of iPhone 4 is 60% greater than the resolution of the Nexus S. Why would Google put out a new flagship phone with a screen so far behind the industry leader? Lets hope HP brings it stronger next month!
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by pnitsuj View Post
    I think when most people talk about resolution they tend to mean lines of horizontal and vertical resolution, not total pixels....Why would Google put out a new flagship phone with a screen so far behind the industry leader? Lets hope HP brings it stronger next month!
    So an 8 MP camera is only 30% higher resolution than a 4 MP camera?

As to higher resolutions, Andy Rubin was showing 1280x800 last week. Here's the video of his interview.

1280x800 is when you hit real 720p HD. They expect 20 1280x800 phones and tablets at CES in three weeks. But on a 4.3" screen, that is beyond the capability of 20/15 vision. I can't discern individual pixel color on a 480x800 4.3" screen.

On a display under 5", 1280x800 is for bragging rights...or people with really big magnifying glasses.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/17/2010 at 11:57 AM.
    So an 8 MP camera is only 30% higher resolution than a 4 MP camera?

As to higher resolutions, Andy Rubin was showing 1280x800 last week. Here's the video of his interview.

1280x800 is when you hit real 720p HD. They expect 20 1280x800 phones and tablets at CES in three weeks. But on a 4.3" screen, that is beyond the capability of 20/15 vision. I can't discern individual pixel color on a 480x800 4.3" screen.

On a display under 5", 1280x800 is for bragging rights...or people with really big magnifying glasses.

- Craig
    sweet bring it on. can't wait for ces
    The original Google phone got us all excited a couple of weeks back when an OTA update was presumed to be the oven-hot Gingerbread upgrade, only to disappoint us. Now we've got the most lucid statement from the Android chefs yet on when the real Gingerbread Nexus One will stand up, which is placed in the relatively ill-defined window of "the coming weeks." Hey, better weeks than months, right?

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    GOogle is pretty honest with their timing so we'll see. I'm sure someone will port gingerbread to it even before its official.
    Makes me wonder if there's a practical difference between "coming weeks" and "coming months".
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    “Weeks” instead of “Months” – boy Google really has their act together, Why can’t HP show that kind of foresight.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Except you know google week's equal a lot sooner than Palm's month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Except you know google week's equal a lot sooner than Palm's month.
    Of course. Number transfer has been coming in the "near future" for Google Voice, and we all see how quickly they pulled that one off. It's been over a year, and it's still coming in the "near future".
    /sarcasm
    I'd much rather wait just 3 measley months than have to wait 12 whole weeks!

(A-Men to that Google Voice Number Transfer thingy!)
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Ok....if we are going by the track record of google updates to their Nexus line, i will go with sooner rather than later here.

But we can all go with other projects if you want.

(sips coffee and plays with Google Maps 5.0 that was promised in the next few days and was delivered in the next few days).
    Is this a debate over who's telling the truth about upgrades? Other companies have this problem too.

Samsung is one with questionable upgrade timing(and questionable upgrades) if you ask me. Many people now distrust Samsung over their words because they have been shown to retract or delay after saying an upgrade is coming. I'm sure people are happy with their Epics but Samsung did promise 2.2. And then fried I think, Bell's phones. LOL. So you know there's going to be a delay there. The Moment upgrade was delayed too, from what I understand.

Motorola also screwed over tons of mid range customers with a long, and I mean long wait for the 2.1 upgrade. So much so that many carriers canceled the upgrade entirely, likely due to all the delays and incompetence. Moral of the story, think twice as to whether or not you want a mid range Motorola because the only phones they serviced on time were the Verizon Droids. That one seriously left me burned and is the main reason I'm getting rid of the Backflip even though it got the upgrade.

Then how about Sony Ericsson's X10? Read the blog on how angry people were that the upgrade got delayed to end of October and was promised way back in January. Though I think it's rolled out by now. Except to slow #$@ AT&T whom SE claims wanted to overtest the upgrade, figures.

I guess what I'm trying to say after all that, if a company says an upgrade is coming, take note then put it on the back burner. They could be fudging on "coming soon" and you should never rely on anything they say as a given. Thanks to Motorola, now when I hear "upgrade", I say "yeah email me when it's ready"(you can sometimes sign up for notifications), lol.

Though I'd trust Google to upgrade it's own phones in a reasonably timely manner since they've done so before. I think the Nexus S is or has already received an upgrade(maybe a bug fix though). We'll just have to wait and see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is this a debate over who's telling the truth about upgrades? Other companies have this problem too.
    And the irony is, people are complainging about Palm, when they kept their time projection.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course. Number transfer has been coming in the "near future" for Google Voice, and we all see how quickly they pulled that one off. It's been over a year, and it's still coming in the "near future".
    /sarcasm
    To their defense, that's been more of a holdup with the FCC than it has with Google.
    Processor: 1 GHz processor vs 600 MHz Pre (Pre2 is 1 GHz)
    It is important to note, when you make these comparisons, what the processor actually is.

Much like speed is irrelevant when it comes to processors in computers, thus is true when it comes to mobile processors.

The 1ghz processor in the Evo is VASTLY OUTPERFORMED by the 800mhz processor in the G2/Evo shift etc. [While also being more efficient with less battery usage]

GPU is becoming important too.
    I don't know much about the GPU series that's in the Nexus S but...
    http://androidandme.com/2010/12/news...ver-nexus-one/

For a comparison the Evo has the Adreno 200 and the Evo Shift has the Adreno 205...which is apparently about 4 times faster.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/02/2011 at 02:29 PM.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567