Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I patiently waited for ATT to get a Pre Plus from 2008 until May 2010. My move from my Treo 680 to the Pre Plus was a quantum leap. I will wait patiently for the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I know this may come as a surprise, but quite a few people actually enjoy Android and its ability to be customized however you like.
    And some of us like WebOS and the ability to customize it any way you like.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    And some of us like WebOS and the ability to customize it any way you like.
    OK point me in the direction of voice commands patch, video chat patch
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    Im playing angry birds now while listening to Pandora no problem on WebOS, not sure you can do that with android
    You can....but as i stated on page 3, my old games like Let's Golf would shut down any other audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    It's really only a little nicer than the Pre 2 (spec-wise) so I don't see what the fuss is about. You still have to deal with Android........
    Use a Galaxy phone and see why the specs are much better applied to the OS than WebOS's hardware specs.

Everything is snappy.
  6.    #106  
    We have had four threads on the Nexus S vs. the Palm Pre and Pre 2 that were combined here.

Please look at the opening post for a more complete spec comparison but here are some basics.

Similarities
    Processor: 1 GHz processor vs 600 MHz Pre (Pre2 is 1 GHz)
    Camera Resolution: 5 MP vs 3 MP (5 MP Pre 2)
    RAM: 16 GB vs 8 or 16 GB

Differences
    Overall Size: Nexus S is smaller at 4.9 cubic inches (2.5" x 4.9" x 0.4") vs. the Pre's 6.2
    Screen Size: 4.0" vs. 3.1" (62% larger screen area)
    Resolution: 480 x 800 HD is twice the resolution of 320 x 480
    4G speed: T-Mobile 4G at 7 Mbps+ vs. 3G (~1.5Mbbps)
    Autofocus: Yes vs. No
    Digital Zoom: 3x vs. none
    Front Camera: Yes vs. No
    Speech to Text Yes vs No
    Voice Actions Yes vs. No
    Folders Yes vs. No
    100,000 apps vs. 5,000
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Are you referring to this webOS?

Of course, this survey was taken when HPalm still had the Pre/Plus for sale on multiple US carriers.
    Actually what's really sad is that Apple with so few number of products using their OS still beats Android with all the different variations on different handsets and on limited carriers to boot. Then I saw the Galaxy S Tablet for sale without a contract on NCIX for $1000. I was laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair. There was so little interest in it that nobody even bothered to post a comment there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Actually what's really sad is that Apple with so few number of products using their OS still beats Android with all the different variations on different handsets and on limited carriers to boot. Then I saw the Galaxy S Tablet for sale without a contract on NCIX for $1000. I was laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair. There was so little interest in it that nobody even bothered to post a comment there.
    Can you imagine what these numbers will look like once Apple goes multi-carrier here in the U.S.?
    well heres a review for Googles S phone from Engadget. Spec wise is the basic hummingbird processor, 5mg cam, 16gig storage etc (same specs as the Pre 2, with a higher res and bigger screen). Throughout the review it seems as the editor pointed out nothing major at all with gingerbread, a couple of new bells and whistles but nothing great. He stated the phone was a bit snappier, though he had a few display issues(may have been his unit) and the screen touches as will all androids sometimes missed. Personally my opinon of the device is the phone itselfs looks amazing, great design (though to me samsung makes the better looking devices). The OS looks solid though still very very dull, and the colors looked washed out. To me at this point it still lacks alot in a elegant OS after watching it in motion. Just a bunch of clutter, though unlike the iphone its very raw looking and non pleasant. Still Android is the fan fav, and as engadget puts it, the best Android phone right now(which changes on a weekly basis smh). Still Android as a OS, regardless of how the phone looks is still very unattractive, IMO and still leaves room for Webos to captialize on it greatly with just comparable hardware and specs.

Nexus S review -- Engadget
    It's just another Android phone. Every week another "the best Android phone" comes out. I'm not saying they (or this one in particular) isn't good but they all seem the same to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    It's just another Android phone. Every week another "the best Android phone" comes out. I'm not saying they (or this one in particular) isn't good but they all seem the same to me.
    yes they do, funny though I said months ago that I thought sooner or later this will hurt Google in the long run. Having so much competiton between its manufacturers (htc, samsung, moto, etc) that sooner or later when something better, or more appealing comes out like webos(again with better muscle behind it), sales will plumit, just because every one produces the same android phone, with similar specs. It will oversaturate the market, and carriers will then have overstock of the same type of devices, running different android models, all looking identical. Imagine if Google falls off how hard HTC, Samsung, and moto will fall, and I don't think microsoft, or HP will be licenseing their OS out to them.

example as you can see even Nokia agrees with me:

http://phandroid.com/2010/09/21/noki...ts-for-warmth/

This quote completely came out of left field and smacked me in the face this morning. Nokia’s Anssi Vanjoki – speaking with Financial Times – states that they aren’t going the Android route because it’s more like being a Finnish boy that pees in his pants to stay warm throughout the winter. It’s easy to just extract that quote and call it a day, but what he means is that using Android as a short-term boost isn’t the best course of action as it won’t sustain over a longer period of time.

His thoughts came as a response to the now-age-old question regarding why Nokia hasn’t adopted Android with his argument essentially being that the market is over-saturated as it is and that manufacturers would be stinting growth in the long run since it’ll be hard for consumers to find meaningful differences from one piece of hardware to another. That would be a sensible conclusion, but I’m guessing HTC’s, Motorola’s, and Samsung’s amazing performance since going all out with Android isn’t being counted here.

It’s quite easy as a company man behind Nokia to downplay a model that you don’t wish to adopt considering your own model has worked for so many years to keep you on top, but to ignore the effect Android has on a lot of these manufacturers is like ignoring a pony standing inside of an Apple store. Moral of the story: it’s foolish to deny reality, and I hope you wake up from this dream world you’ve been living inside of before too long, Anssi.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 12/11/2010 at 02:15 PM.
    <<threads merged>>
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well heres a review for Googles S phone from Engadget. Spec wise is the basic hummingbird processor, 5mg cam, 16gig storage etc (same specs as the Pre 2, with a higher res and bigger screen). Throughout the review it seems as the editor pointed out nothing major at all with gingerbread, a couple of new bells and whistles but nothing great. He stated the phone was a bit snappier, though he had a few display issues(may have been his unit) and the screen touches as will all androids sometimes missed. Personally my opinon of the device is the phone itselfs looks amazing, great design (though to me samsung makes the better looking devices). The OS looks solid though still very very dull, and the colors looked washed out. To me at this point it still lacks alot in a elegant OS after watching it in motion. Just a bunch of clutter, though unlike the iphone its very raw looking and non pleasant. Still Android is the fan fav, and as engadget puts it, the best Android phone right now(which changes on a weekly basis smh). Still Android as a OS, regardless of how the phone looks is still very unattractive, IMO and still leaves room for Webos to captialize on it greatly with just comparable hardware and specs.

Nexus S review -- Engadget
    WWW,

Please take a breath every now and then. It can be hard to read one big mass.

So the only differences between the Pre 2 and the Nexus S are?
    Overall Size: Nexus S is smaller at 4.9 cubic inches (2.5" x 4.9" x 0.4") vs. the Pre's 6.2
    Screen Size: 4.0" is 62% larger screen area than 3.1"
    4G speed: T-Mobile 4G at 7 Mbps+ is four times as fast as 3G (~1.5Mbbps)
    Video Chat: Yes vs. No
    Speech to Text: Yes vs No
    Voice Actions: Yes vs. No
    Folders: Yes vs. No
    100,000 apps vs. 5,000

As to Gingerbread, this was an article about the phone. Here are some of the Gingerbread articles: Gingerbread improvements, Android 2.3 Features, ZDnet Top 10 2.3 Features. Coming with Gingerbread is the new vector graphics Google Maps app and the new Gmail app. (Video)

So the only things that Android 2.3 brings are?
    • Improved UI
    • New keyboard (spell check is our friend)
    • Enhanced Cut and Paste
    • Better power management
    • Improved App Management
    • New camera app
    • Updated mail app
    • New Vector Graphics map app
    • New VOIP

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2010 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    WWW,

Please take a breath every now and then. It can be hard to read one big mass.

So the only differences between the Pre 2 and the Nexus S are?
    Screen Size: 4.0" is 62% larger screen area than 3.1"
    4G speed: T-Mobile 4G at 7 Mbps+ is four times as fast as 3G (~1.5Mbbps)
    Video Chat: Yes vs. No
    Speech to Text: Yes vs No
    Voice Actions: Yes vs. No
    Folders: Yes vs. No
    100,000 apps vs. 5,000

As to Gingerbread, this was an article about the phone. Here are some of the Gingerbread articles: Gingerbread improvements, Android 2.3 Features, ZDnet Top 10 2.3 Features. Coming with Gingerbread is the new vector graphics Google Maps app and the new Gmail app. (Video)

So the only things that Android 2.3 brings are?
    Improved UI
    New keyboard (spell check is our friend)
    Enhanced Cut and Paste
    Better power management
    Improved App Management
    New camera app
    Updated mail app
    New Vector Graphics map app
    New VOIP

- Craig
    I agree with all your comparison info except that twice the resolution of 320x480 is 640x960.. not 480x800. So the iPhone 4 is more like twice the resolution of the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Imagine if Google falls off how hard HTC, Samsung, and moto will fall, and I don't think microsoft, or HP will be licenseing their OS out to them.
    At this point, the only way Android would disappear is if Oracle or Apple were to win a conclusive legal victory against Google/Android; and, frankly, if Oracle were to get that close to winning, Google could presumably just pay a large settlement.

(But, if Apple wins their suit, don't doubt they'll make war on HP next.)
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I agree with all your comparison info except that twice the resolution of 320x480 is 640x960.. not 480x800. So the iPhone 4 is more like twice the resolution of the Pre.
    We are not comparing the Pre 2 and the iPhone. This thread is about comparing the T-Mobile Nexus S vs. Palm Pre and Pre 2.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    We are not comparing the Pre 2 and the iPhone. This thread is about comparing the T-Mobile Nexus S vs. Palm Pre and Pre 2.

- Craig
    I think the point is that you made a mistake when you said the nexus s had twice the resolution of the pre. The iPhone was simply used as an example of something that actually has twice the resolution.
    Speaking of the Nexus S, this is one of the best "unboxing" vids I've seen for a product. YouTube - ninjaunboxing2's Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Speaking of the Nexus S, this is one of the best "unboxing" vids I've seen for a product. YouTube - ninjaunboxing2's Channel
    That was AWESOME!
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I think the point is that you made a mistake when you said the nexus s had twice the resolution of the pre. The iPhone was simply used as an example of something that actually has twice the resolution.
    In this case, resolution is measured in pixels, the height times the width.

The Nexus S is 480 x 800 = 384K pixels = 0.384 MP.

The Pre 2 is 320 x 480 = 154k pixels = 0.154 MP.

A 0.384 MP resolution display is more than twice the resolution of a 0.154 MP display.

Therefore, the Nexus S display is more than twice the resolution of the Pre 2.

What am I missing?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/17/2010 at 12:30 AM.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast