Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    1.x% marketshare and practically no products on the shelves right now is pretty pathetic for a company that started the PDA business and eventually owned the smartphone business. They released essentially nothing new for consumers in 2010. Now they are getting ready to reboot their product line - again. I guess it's not really a failure because they do still have products - just not ones that are most smartphone consumers are aware of.
    Eh, they don't have to be. Merely existing and being sold anywhere in any capacity is success enough, it seems.

We can keep adjusting the goalposts however makes them look best. They "haven't failed". The Palm Pre 2 is competitive, no matter how little HP thinks so. Everything will be fixed next year...or with 2.02...or when HP applies the "scale" and "leverage" that has Palm entreating users to a beg a carrier to carry the latest phone. The same carrier they were buddy buddy with when they were on their own with no money, no less.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Eh, they don't have to be. Merely existing and being sold anywhere in any capacity is success enough, it seems.

We can keep adjusting the goalposts however makes them look best. They "haven't failed". The Palm Pre 2 is competitive, no matter how little HP thinks so. Everything will be fixed next year...or with 2.02...or when HP applies the "scale" and "leverage" that has Palm entreating users to a beg a carrier to carry the latest phone. The same carrier they were buddy buddy with when they were on their own with no money, no less.
    Sorry, there's no "moving of the goal posts", other than the doomsayers. Folks have been posting on here for years that Palm is "gone", yet they keep producing devices.

I think you naysayers are now getting desperate because you know what's about to happen, and you so hate being wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Because it's old and I wanted to give the Pre 2 a handicap. If we compare HPs flagship device to the Nexus S, we'd have to include things like NFC support -- which the Pre 2 has no answer for.
    If every device "must have" NFC support, there's a lot of devices that aren't competitive anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, there's no "moving of the goal posts", other than the doomsayers. Folks have been posting on here for years that Palm is "gone", yet they keep producing devices.

I think you naysayers are now getting desperate because you know what's about to happen, and you so hate being wrong.
    Well, failure is the reality of the past, present, and foreseeable future. Success is the dream of the distant future. As long as it's perpetually around the corner, you'll never be wrong.

So, yeah...the desperation is palpable, Herb. I actually ghostwrote Derek's editorial on the frontpage. Same goes for Kara Swisher';s questions to Ruby. I've been the only thing standing between countless people getting paid by HP to take a Pre or Plus off their hands. And soon...all of our handiwork is about to be undone.

Just gotta be patient...
    If every device "must have" NFC support, there's a lot of devices that aren't competitive anymore.
    You're right, they're not.

Good thing they have things like front-facing cameras and AMOLED screens to narrow the gap between them and the Nexus S...while pulling way ahead of the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    That thing looks incredible.

Google Nexus S preview -- Engadget

With the UI improvements coming to Android, it's seriously becoming more and more appealing and my faith in HP/Palm is waning... I hate to make one of these threads, but what do you guys think I'd absolutely miss if leaving for Android? (I'm a power user with touchstones littered throughout my house and in the office). I'm still on my Launch day Sprint Pre and it's been solidly patched up/OC'ed to 1Ghz since the moment all that stuff became available. I hate to state the obvious, but HP is taking way too long to supply more info about future products and WebOS 2.0 release dates. I'll obviously wait to see what they have to present at CES in January, but I'm tired of always supporting the underdog almost to a fault and missing out on potential home runs...
    Yep, the N/S sure is purty, kinda reminds me of another phone though...Ah well. The specs are kick azz too, it's got... (wait for it) 1ghz cpu, 512mb of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 5mp camera. Don't know what Palm's going to do to counter that. To bad they don't have a 1ghz/512mb/16gb/5mp device...

I'll patiently wait for CES....
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    same here, I just care about commucation and light browsing, don't care for the gaming and all that other crap. Mostly shopping and banking apps and I'm fine. I just want to ditch this pre, need a better keyboard and a faster exerience overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    If I were to be excited by a Google phone it would be the Doid Pro. It's the Keyboard. They just blatantly ripped off BB, yes, but hey, thems the breaks.

The Nexus S is sexy, but for me I don't need sexy. And it doesn't have a touchstone. Another one of my must haves.

I use my phone for work. That's it. A
    few games here and there, some podcasts and the internet. That's it. Boring I know, but I'm a boring guy.
    I am excited for matias duarte's, who created the webos UI, to do something amazing with android.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You're right, they're not.

Good thing they have things like front-facing cameras and AMOLED screens to narrow the gap between them and the Nexus S...while pulling way ahead of the Pre 2.
    You misread my comment, but that's OK.

I seriously doubt that anyone is considering NFC support as a major factor in what phone they choose. If they do, then the Nexus S clearly has the advantage.

At the same time, for those that consier WebOS a major factor in what phone they choose, the Nexus S is clearly at a disadvantage.

That's my point - different people look for different things in phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, failure is the reality of the past, present, and foreseeable future. Success is the dream of the distant future. As long as it's perpetually around the corner, you'll never be wrong.

So, yeah...the desperation is palpable, Herb. I actually ghostwrote Derek's editorial on the frontpage. Same goes for Kara Swisher';s questions to Ruby. I've been the only thing standing between countless people getting paid by HP to take a Pre or Plus off their hands. And soon...all of our handiwork is about to be undone.

Just gotta be patient...
    Huh? Seriously - Huh????
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I am excited for matias duarte's, who created the webos UI, to do something amazing with android.
    Don't hold your breath. A 2.x version update will not help that scenario. A core re-write will be needed to improve the fluidity of Android. It just wasn't built that way.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    That's my point - different people look for different things in phones.
    And if sales/marketshare are any indication of that palm's doing a bang up job now aren't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    One HUGE issue with WebOS that wasn't an issue until i got my Android device in terms of multitasking was the fact in PDK developed games, you can't play music while in the app. I think everyone can admit how horrible some of the music/sound is in the games.

On android i can play my music or a podcast while playing a game. Makes angry birds tolerable.
    Im playing angry birds now while listening to Pandora no problem on WebOS, not sure you can do that with android
    You guys and all of these desperate facts you keep throwing at hparsons....just give up, willya?

Obviously, the future will be different because HP is running the show, and they know what they're doing as evidenced by the blockbuster launch of the Palm Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 or 2.0.1 or whatever. Take it from Ruby...they have lots of products on the way "next year". Who wouldn't be reassured by that? I'm sure Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Apple, and the rest are frantically accelerating their launches to try and beat Palm to market.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Are you referring to this webOS?

Of course, this survey was taken when HPalm still had the Pre/Plus for sale on multiple US carriers.
    Yep, that's the one. Do you really believe the number 0% is accurate?

But, to my point, that's exactly what I mean. There are some users that want WebOS on a device. I know, I know, goes totally against some folks' latest mission, but there it is.

There are also some folks who won't buy anything but in iPhone. And, some folks that love Android. To each their own. How sad it would be though, were it a "must do" for folks to log on to the forums for those users, and blast their decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Yep, the N/S sure is purty, kinda reminds me of another phone though...Ah well. The specs are kick azz too, it's got... (wait for it) 1ghz cpu, 512mb of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 5mp camera. Don't know what Palm's going to do to counter that. To bad they don't have a 1ghz/512mb/16gb/5mp device...

Yep. Let's not list the most visually important specs like build quality and screen size/resolution. Or the user experience of touching an app in a store and having it launch instantly. Then again...there are increasingly few stores where you can even touch a WebOS device these days.
    You can have a super computer but if the OS is not optimized to use it, what difference does it make?

Pre Plus is better sure, but until the OS is better optimized its just doing what android did early on...more power to fix lagginess.

Android 2.1 and again with 2.2 is really when android optimization started to shine. People who hacked 2.2 onto devices like the Hero report their phone experience has actually improved.
    It's really only a little nicer than the Pre 2 (spec-wise) so I don't see what the fuss is about. You still have to deal with Android........

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    It's really only a little nicer than the Pre 2 (spec-wise) so I don't see what the fuss is about. You still have to deal with Android........
    I know this may come as a surprise, but quite a few people actually enjoy Android and its ability to be customized however you like.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast