Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Google Nexus S...meh
    (from a hardware standpoint)
    One also has to wonder that if the Palm Pre 2 is so very up-to-date, why is it being rejected and/or mistreated by carriers and released so haphazardly by HP? Apparently, they don't see it as competitive with the mainstream marketplace....and they make the phone. Shouldn't you guys be angrily emailing them demanding that this new competitive hardware get its due in promotion and advertising?
    Not too crazy about that HW (but anything new is better than my old Pre hw). Android I just don't care for but that's my preference.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Nobody was talking about "the final option" of anything. There's a direct comparison of the way the Nexus S/Gingerbread and the Palm Pre 2/WebOS 2.0 are being announced, released and sold. If you have something to say about that....cool.
    Dang, and I so hate be "not cool".

Sorry if I "misinterpreted" the "limited response". It looked like you were talking as if that's HP planned model. It's not. It's the model for the current device which is very limited, both in availability and carriers.

Now, if we're really examaning what was said, the post I responded to was a snide remark that made it sound as if this was HP's final planned solution. You did, after all, say "The direct sales, online-only model of smartphones has worked wonderfully in America for.....uh....lessee here.......". If you really meant to make a direct comparison for this one particular model - well, HP has never tried any method before for this model. So, in that respect, it's the most successful model they've done for this device.

This is likely not the final marketing plan for even this model, and definitely not for the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Whatever yap yap don't care...It looked like you were talking as if that's HP planned model. It's not. It's the model for the current device which is very limited, both in availability and carriers.
    As I said...the comparison is strictly for the Nexus S/Gingerbread and the Palm Pre 2/WebOS 2.0...or as you call it, the current device. Unfortunately, the current limits in carriers and availability appears to be not by HP's design since a number of carriers have gone on record as having no plans to offer it, Verizon has been about as non-committal a US launch partner as possible (in contrast to T-Mobile and Best Buy who have rock solid availability dates for the Nexus S less than two weeks after announcement) and Palm has entreated its users to beg Sprint to carry it.

Whatever HP's plans were, this is the pitiful reality. An embarrassing first showing of their new OS and new phone, comparatively speaking.
    Nobody was talking about "the final option" of anything. There's a direct comparison of the way the Nexus S/Gingerbread and the Palm Pre 2/WebOS 2.0 are being announced, released and sold. If you have something to say about that....cool.
    As I said...the comparison is strictly for the Nexus S/Gingerbread and the Palm Pre 2/WebOS 2.0...or as you call it, the current device....
    "As I said", yep, I understand completely that's what you said; however, that's not what the original thread was about. It was a hardware comparison (I've attached the link below, just in case you'd like to review). You turned it into a "the way the Nexus S/Gingerbread and the Palm Pre 2/WebOS 2.0 are being announced, released and sold discussion. But that does seem to be the trend around here (for some). Take anything at all about HP/Palm, and turn it into a negative.

The thread was not about how it's being announced, released, and sold. It was really more about how the nay-sayers on this forum want to bash everything Palm related. You proved the OP's point very well, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    So, now we have proof: Palm's hardware specs in the Pre2 were simply too low to survive in today's fray. Not powerful enough to compete with cutting edge phones like the Nexus S, which was released just about a month later.

Buh-Bye Palm! Just waiting for dozens of people to post "if Palm doesn't release anything on the Nexus S' hardware level at CES, i'm gone and helllllo! Android!"
    the point is, that some palm users are extremely ignoring reality in both ways. For some the pre is more then earth and heaven and for some it's simply hell. And still it's a forum so people post out of boredom. Like me.
    Now, back to the OP's original post - I wonder why it is that there are such adamant Palm haters hangin on the Palm forums. Or even more to the point, why the unequal treatment of differing devices, unequally biased against Palm, on a Palm forum?
    This was covered before you derailed the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's interesting because Palm has been a train-wreck of a company for the past couple of years. Catastrophe is just more entertaining than success. The vapor-launch of the Pre 2 and empty product line for the 2010 holiday season are just the latest examples.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Palm comes up with at CES. I'm not expecting any kind of super-phone. I don't think the brand recognition supports it any longer. Then we have the post-CES wait-a-thon part II with the inevitable production delays and Chinese New Year shutdown. Then we see how the carriers respond, especially, if the iPhone comes to Verizon. It's high-drama which is not to be missed.
    Say what you will about Palm but they really have a way of failing upwards.

Excluding marketshare, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This was covered before you derailed the thread.
    Of course bringing it back to the original topic is "derailing the thread". There are so few "Let's bash Palm" threads around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's interesting because Palm has been a train-wreck of a company for the past couple of years. Catastrophe is just more entertaining than success. The vapor-launch of the Pre 2 and empty product line for the 2010 holiday season are just the latest examples.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Palm comes up with at CES. I'm not expecting any kind of super-phone. I don't think the brand recognition supports it any longer. Then we have the post-CES wait-a-thon part II with the inevitable production delays and Chinese New Year shutdown. Then we see how the carriers respond, especially, if the iPhone comes to Verizon. It's high-drama which is not to be missed.
    I think if you look back at the history of Palm, you'll see that "small changes" far preceeded the "past couple of years". The Treo 600 was released in 2003, and most of the changes in the intervening years between that and the Centrol (2007) were far less of a spec jump than what occurred with the original Pre and the Pre2 (a time period of about 16 months). So I'd have to say the "train wreck" started way before the "past couple of years".

As a matter of fact, the past couple of years have been a marked improvement over the previous 4-5 years. I took a long time for the train to finish crashing, it'll take a while to clean up the mess.
    I don't think it is that cut and dry. The Pre 2 seems to be left over from when Palm was flying solo, and it still (almost) holds up. If HP can up everything that is done on the Pre 2, they should be in the clear.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I don't think it is that cut and dry. The Pre 2 seems to be left over from when Palm was flying solo, and it still (almost) holds up. If HP can up everything that is done on the Pre 2, they should be in the clear.
    Good point. As was pointed out, the "left over" device compares favorably to a new device released after it, but it gets bashed on here.

Will HP release their own lineup that does enough to pull things out? Well, that's yet to be seen, but the constant whine of "they're failing" has gone on for years before HP took over, and the chorus has been joined in the four and a half months since. Seems like some of the experts would realize that their predictions haven't come true, at least not yet.

I suppose if one keeps saying it's going to happen, they'll eventually be right - everything goes away some day.
    Good point. As was pointed out, the "left over" device compares favorably to a new device released after it, but it gets bashed on here.
    Sigh.

It does not compare favorably to a new device released after it. It doesn't even compare favorably to devices that are nearly 6 months old.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Sigh.

It does not compare favorably to a new device released after it. It doesn't even compare favorably to devices that are nearly 6 months old.
    Could you expand on that point by showing devices that are just a little newer or 6 months older than the Pre2 and show where it falls short?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    One HUGE issue with WebOS that wasn't an issue until i got my Android device in terms of multitasking was the fact in PDK developed games, you can't play music while in the app. I think everyone can admit how horrible some of the music/sound is in the games.

On android i can play my music or a podcast while playing a game. Makes angry birds tolerable.
    You CAN listen to music and play games at the same time. I listen to music playing Angry Birds all the time.

It's simple as long as it's the next screen over. With Android, you don't even think about it regardless of how many things you are doing. And it's not like app switching is the only task of productivity. I like having a browser with one instance open and all other sites within the browser as either tabs or windows. That was, all Web stuff is "one gesture" away be default without thinking about it. I guess if you use Stacks you could do that on WebOS 2.0...on a 3-inch screen where you can barely tell each card apart from each other. or you could take the time to continuously reposition your browser cards next to each other. Yay.

Try having a Gmail threaded discussion with a group of people in WebOS, and see how simple that is. Or try responding to texts or controlling your phone while driving in WebOS. Or....

WebOS isn't without its advantages, but neither is Android.
    That's right, it's simple as long as the apps are next to each other. It's the simiplest I've seen out of all the mobile OSes. And it's the functionality that I can't live without. It makes my workflow effortless. But don't get me wrong, there are many things that WebOS needs to get right. But I've become so dependent on this one function that I can overlook everything else. Others cannot, and that's totally fair.

In my humble opinion, the Nexus S looks like a stretched out Pre 2. I like the look, I think the operating system looks great, but without this one bit of functionality, I'm not even going to consider it.
    I think the Nexus S looks absolutely awesome, and I find many of it's features compelling. However, I don't really see enough overhaul in the UI to get me excited. That's the thing that keeps me from using my Hero with 2.2. The UI in comparison to WebOS or WP7 is clunky and unattractive IMHO.

In fact, I'm running a very unstable 2.3 build on my Hero right now. The only thing that I'm liking about it so far is the keyboard (though it doesn't have a dictionary loaded so prediction isn't working).

All that being said. I imagine the Nexus S in person will be a pretty nice phone to use. Sounds like 2.3 will finally bring GPU acceleration to the UI (not working on my Hero with 2.3 probably because of driver issues). So even if it isn't that pretty at least it will be smooth
    I never got to try it with angry birds, but Let's Golf and a few others just would stop my music every time it went full screen.

Weird.
    If I were to be excited by a Google phone it would be the Doid Pro. It's the Keyboard. They just blatantly ripped off BB, yes, but hey, thems the breaks.

The Nexus S is sexy, but for me I don't need sexy. And it doesn't have a touchstone. Another one of my must haves.

I use my phone for work. That's it. A
    few games here and there, some podcasts and the internet. That's it. Boring I know, but I'm a boring guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    That's right, it's simple as long as the apps are next to each other. It's the simiplest I've seen out of all the mobile OSes. And it's the functionality that I can't live without. It makes my workflow effortless. But don't get me wrong, there are many things that WebOS needs to get right. But I've become so dependent on this one function that I can overlook everything else. Others cannot, and that's totally fair.

In my humble opinion, the Nexus S looks like a stretched out Pre 2. I like the look, I think the operating system looks great, but without this one bit of functionality, I'm not even going to consider it.
    Uh, ok...I've never seen someone's workflow consist mostly of switching between windows stacked next to each other in a horizontal line, but to each their own.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast