Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I like the " within next few months" enthusiasm but its really setting yourself up to be disappointed. But i'm sticking to the 10-12 months that HP keeps repeating. I know they said within the next 12 months, but you don't put that 12 months part out there unless you mean it.

This would be good reason enough why we've not seen videos or leaks or whatever. But that's a long time. You'd think they could do a better job promoting webOS 2.0 & the Pre 2 in the meanwhile. But the Pre 2 is limited availability and webOS 2 isn't even ready for the current devices.

I would imagine then HP/Palm is still a long ways from having webOS ready for slabs & tablets.
    The point the OP was making is that the Palm Pre 2 IS comparable to the best smartphones in terms of hardware.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I like the " within next few months" enthusiasm but its really setting yourself up to be disappointed. But i'm sticking to the 10-12 months that HP keeps repeating. I know they said within the next 12 months, but you don't put that 12 months part out there unless you mean it.

This would be good reason enough why we've not seen videos or leaks or whatever. But that's a long time. You'd think they could do a better job promoting webOS 2.0 & the Pre 2 in the meanwhile. But the Pre 2 is limited availability and webOS 2 isn't even ready for the current devices.

I would imagine then HP/Palm is still a long ways from having webOS ready for slabs & tablets.
    I tend to be a little more optimistic yes! But "within the next few months" was a tad bit of sarcasm, given HP's non-committal release of 2.0. Maybe I haven't been a Palm customer long enough I think the "12 months" is for all of the devices they announced would be coming...some we will have earlier. And while I think we see announcements at CES I'm not holding my breath for a release of anything until very late Q1 at the absolute earliest, more likely Q2, May or June.

I really don't think HP give a rats behind about the Pre2's sales performance - they sure haven't shown me anything to make me think differently. From their perspective, given the delay in releasing the Pre2 b/c of the acquisition the Pre2 has fallen behind in a lot of "look at me specs"...size of screen, resolution of screen, front camera, so why promote it. Then again, I think HP shouldn't have bothered at all with the Pre2. They should have paid to get out of their manufacturing contracts and focused 100% on their new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I agree, Nexus S looks really good. REALLY hope its coming to Sprint. Also Google Maps 5 looks awesome as well.
    I'm looking forward to that Google mobile maps 5 with vector graphics to come out in the coming days not months.

Sfm Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The point the OP was making is that the Palm Pre 2 IS comparable to the best smartphones in terms of hardware.
    If you define "hardware" as CPU, RAM, and onboard storage...sure. But of course that leaves out what is arguably the most important piece of the hardware for users - the screen. Virtually no one wants a Palm Pre-esque screen at the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 anymore than you'd want a notebook with the guts and OS of the 13-inch MacBook air, but the cheap and junky 8.9-inch screen of an old Asus Eee netbook.

I keep hearing "Aside from the display and resolution....", as if we can simply sidestep that consideration, but time and time again from the iPhone in 2007 to the HTC HD 2 on T-Mobile to the Evo on Sprint to the iPhone 4, we've seen that display matters to people. A lot.
    I'm with the OP on this, I am my original sprint pre, and I am eligible for a free upgrade, I'll give HP until CES, but if they keep up with the "be patient" game
    then I'm out the door to get whatever Android phone is hot next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    It's a weird way of moving the goal post, though. OP ignores the the hardware that differentiates the Pre 2 and the Nexus S -- like the large screen, the gyro, the front-facing camera. It's a bit like saying a Civic is just as good as a Ferrari because they both have brakes and engines.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's a weird way of moving the goal post, though. OP ignores the the hardware that differentiates the Pre 2 and the Nexus S -- like the large screen, the gyro, the front-facing camera. It's a bit like saying a Civic is just as good as a Ferrari because they both have brakes and engines.
    just remember ... as someone else previously posted not to put a Ferrari engine into a Pinto..
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I tend to be a little more optimistic yes! But "within the next few months" was a tad bit of sarcasm, given HP's non-committal release of 2.0. Maybe I haven't been a Palm customer long enough I think the "12 months" is for all of the devices they announced would be coming...some we will have earlier. And while I think we see announcements at CES I'm not holding my breath for a release of anything until very late Q1 at the absolute earliest, more likely Q2, May or June.

I really don't think HP give a rats behind about the Pre2's sales performance - they sure haven't shown me anything to make me think differently. From their perspective, given the delay in releasing the Pre2 b/c of the acquisition the Pre2 has fallen behind in a lot of "look at me specs"...size of screen, resolution of screen, front camera, so why promote it. Then again, I think HP shouldn't have bothered at all with the Pre2. They should have paid to get out of their manufacturing contracts and focused 100% on their new products.
    Can't argue much with that.
    The Nexus S looks really great but I'm a hardware keyboard guy. I don't know what it would take for me to get a software keyboard, and if I did want one, I don't know why I wouldn't go for the iPhone 4, or the next iPhone.

And Gingerbread looks great, but there is something that I use with WebOS everyday, all day long and that's advanced gesturing. I LOVE being able to switch between apps with a simple swipe, and I use it so often to cut and paste text, to make changes to a calendar event, to send emails, to reference things on the internet and type. I not only love it, I need it. I'm way more productive, and if I had to go back to closing an app and then switching to another app to reference things... my god, it would drive me INSANE.

I really do think that the Android operating system is really great, and I'm sure that next year, some great phones will come out, but I am more than willing to wait a month to see what Palm is coming out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    The Nexus S looks really great but I'm a hardware keyboard guy. I don't know what it would take for me to get a software keyboard, and if I did want one, I don't know why I wouldn't go for the iPhone 4, or the next iPhone.

And Gingerbread looks great, but there is something that I use with WebOS everyday, all day long and that's advanced gesturing. I LOVE being able to switch between apps with a simple swipe, and I use it so often to cut and paste text, to make changes to a calendar event, to send emails, to reference things on the internet and type. I not only love it, I need it. I'm way more productive, and if I had to go back to closing an app and then switching to another app to reference things... my god, it would drive me INSANE.
    Who told you that's how Android operates? You're in an app. You want to do something else. You don't have to "close" it. You can hold Home down to see your most recently used apps (while in any app) and jump to it from there. You can swipe down from the notification shade (while in any app) and tap on it if it's a media player, download, weather notification, incoming email, incoming message, or any number of things.

Best of all, you're not limited to lateral movement, i.e. advanced swiping right to left (and vice versa) one window at a time.

It takes adjustment if you're used to WebOS, but no more so than it takes adjustment learning to use OSX after being a Windows user.
    Really, the core hardware arms race is boring because everything is so standardized now. It's the value-added features that matter at this point. I'm watching Google's Chrome event right now and they're showing off some pretty incredible HTML5-based stuff from EA, the New York Times, Amazon...

We know all this stuff will end up being usable on Android and iOS. I'm not sure about webOS though, considering it has the least compatible WebKit-based browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who told you that's how Android operates? You're in an app. You want to do something else. You don't have to "close" it. You can hold Home down to see your most recently used apps (while in any app) and jump to it from there. You can swipe down from the notification shade (while in any app) and tap on it if it's a media player, download, weather notification, incoming email, incoming message, or any number of things.

Best of all, you're not limited to lateral movement, i.e. advanced swiping right to left (and vice versa) one window at a time.

It takes adjustment if you're used to WebOS, but no more so than it takes adjustment learning to use OSX after being a Windows user.
    You see, you've already described one action too many for me. I like having one gesture and bam, you're in another app and ready to go. But that's me. You can do whatever you like. Of course I could get used to something more cumbersome, but I just don't want to. I like how simple WebOS is. If Android gets simpler, then great, I'll think about it, but until it has this functionality, I'm sticking with WebOS.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You see, you've already described one action too many for me. I like having one gesture and bam, you're in another app and ready to go. But that's me. You can do whatever you like. Of course I could get used to something more cumbersome, but I just don't want to. I like how simple WebOS is. If Android gets simpler, then great, I'll think about it, but until it has this functionality, I'm sticking with WebOS.
    What if the card you want is 3 cards away?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't be silly. The direct sales, online-only model of smartphones has worked wonderfully in America for.....uh....lessee here.......

....Look, HP has made a bunch of money, so they know what they're doing. In everything.
    Actually, HP sold quite a few iPaqs using their model.

Of course, it was "their mode", not the redefined HP model that the nay-sayers prefer to apply to them.

Do you really think the "direct sales, online-only" model is the final option HP is planning, or are you using that example for effect, and ignoring the fact that they've said, numerous times, that they're still ramping up?
    One HUGE issue with WebOS that wasn't an issue until i got my Android device in terms of multitasking was the fact in PDK developed games, you can't play music while in the app. I think everyone can admit how horrible some of the music/sound is in the games.

On android i can play my music or a podcast while playing a game. Makes angry birds tolerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, HP sold quite a few iPaqs using their model.

Of course, it was "their mode", not the redefined HP model that the nay-sayers prefer to apply to them.

Do you really think the "direct sales, online-only" model is the final option HP is planning, or are you using that example for effect, and ignoring the fact that they've said, numerous times, that they're still ramping up?
    Nobody was talking about "the final option" of anything. There's a direct comparison of the way the Nexus S/Gingerbread and the Palm Pre 2/WebOS 2.0 are being announced, released and sold. If you have something to say about that....cool.
    though since the Pre 2 is obviously out dated, and the nexus s just introduced with not too much specs wise over the pre 2. I wounder what these new devices will be like, when HP announces them? To me if the Pre 2 was never nothing to gawk about, then to me the spec sheet on it is not bad at all considering.
    It's simple as long as it's the next screen over. With Android, you don't even think about it regardless of how many things you are doing. And it's not like app switching is the only task of productivity. I like having a browser with one instance open and all other sites within the browser as either tabs or windows. That was, all Web stuff is "one gesture" away be default without thinking about it. I guess if you use Stacks you could do that on WebOS 2.0...on a 3-inch screen where you can barely tell each card apart from each other. or you could take the time to continuously reposition your browser cards next to each other. Yay.

Try having a Gmail threaded discussion with a group of people in WebOS, and see how simple that is. Or try responding to texts or controlling your phone while driving in WebOS. Or....

WebOS isn't without its advantages, but neither is Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    One HUGE issue with WebOS that wasn't an issue until i got my Android device in terms of multitasking was the fact in PDK developed games, you can't play music while in the app. I think everyone can admit how horrible some of the music/sound is in the games.

On android i can play my music or a podcast while playing a game. Makes angry birds tolerable.
    That's cool about android, but I believe I've done this with angry birds on webos. On the angry birds home screen, there is a mute button. Go back and play other audio. Go back and play ab. I believe it works
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast