Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They're pretty much even in terms of availability.
    Not for me...
    Yep, just throw webOS on a 4" slab, sit back, and profit right?

That webOS google maps app will look killer. Imagine the palm music player in action. And the buggy kb that pops up? Just revolutionary.
    I don't know about how "killer" it would look, but I'll tell you I pretty much use Google Maps exclusively, while I'm at work, driving around all day, when and if I need it. It takes about 13 seconds for the app to open up, and when I do open it up, I'm driving, so not a huge deal as I generally know what area I'm heading towards. Once I paste my address into the map app, it took about 1 second to find where I was going.

That's pretty much what I deal with everyday on my phone, I keep the map app open, and again, I know my city pretty well and don't use it a whole lot, but it works for me and that's what matters. I'll agree with you about the music app, haven't used it in months thanks to DanPLC and his great Music Player 2.0 (Remix)
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    In the end of the day its sales figures deciding victory or failure. And my hopes in the Pre2 are less than zero.
    It's probably better that I can't get one - saves me from sinking EUR500 into a hopeless failure again...
    That thing looks incredible.

Google Nexus S preview -- Engadget

With the UI improvements coming to Android, it's seriously becoming more and more appealing and my faith in HP/Palm is waning... I hate to make one of these threads, but what do you guys think I'd absolutely miss if leaving for Android? (I'm a power user with touchstones littered throughout my house and in the office). I'm still on my Launch day Sprint Pre and it's been solidly patched up/OC'ed to 1Ghz since the moment all that stuff became available. I hate to state the obvious, but HP is taking way too long to supply more info about future products and WebOS 2.0 release dates. I'll obviously wait to see what they have to present at CES in January, but I'm tired of always supporting the underdog almost to a fault and missing out on potential home runs...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I don't know about how "killer" it would look, but I'll tell you I pretty much use Google Maps exclusively, while I'm at work, driving around all day, when and if I need it. It takes about 13 seconds for the app to open up, and...
    Does anything else even need to be said?

I'll agree with you about the music app, haven't used it in months thanks to DanPLC and his great Music Player 2.0 (Remix)
    When I had my Pre, I didn't even care for this version, particularly, but this highlights yet another problem. The default music player for Android is similarly underfeatured, but not only do a number of free alternatives exist in the market, but some awesome ones are provided directly by the manufacturer, like Samsung's Touchwiz 3.0 (now in the Epic 4G Froyo upgrade) with Equalizer, in-app playlist creation, and disc view (Cover flow with CDs).

If you don't like the Palm one, you MUST homebrew. Still. After 18 months. That's what...maybe 10-15 percent of WebOS users?

Same goes for browsers. Or camera apps. Or....

Palm currently gives you all of the lack of choice of Apple, with very little of the polish to native apps. I mean, no landscape email...or heck, landscape orientation for most of the platform? What is this...the Nokia N900 (in reverse)?

I know people here want to think if Palm just gets the same hardware as everyone else, it'll be a level playing field. But it won't. Not by a long shot. From the native apps to the app catalog to the "beta" 2.0 SDK, there are so many fronts HP Palm has to cover to get anything near parity with the competition.

And even once all of that is corrected...they have to battle the stigma from almost two years of beta WebOS software and crappy hardware. And the prize for beating all of those insurmountable obstacles is...probably 4th place in the market for the remainder of WebOS' lifespan.
    Last edited by mikah912; 12/07/2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    If they had this available on sprint, I'd be all over it. Even at off-contract price.
    I hope they do cdma version this time around I wanted the Nexus 1 bad when it first was released but was not switching to the worst carrier in my area for it.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Select few meaning those that have a credit card and are able to figure out how to go to the HP site and THEN navigate around that site AND fill in the required fields AND have an address to ship it to?

sounds difficult.

Which in sales terms means it might as well not exist.
    Hopefully, at some point, HP Palm will wake up and realize how woefully they bungle the flow of information to consumers/customers.

When Andy Rubin appears for an engagement, he brings not only news of the future, but tangible product to get people excited. When Jon Rubinstein does, he brings pleas to be patient and talks vaguely of roadmaps and connected devices and such.

Whatever HP Palm thinks it's gaining with this veil of secrecy, it's losing far more. Google and RIM aren't out here demoing their pre-beta tablets because they like to. They're doing it because even the market leaders can't afford to clamp shut on future devices while the rest of the market keeps moving. Apparently, HP has decided that they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which in sales terms means it might as well not exist.
    Don't be silly. The direct sales, online-only model of smartphones has worked wonderfully in America for.....uh....lessee here.......

....Look, HP has made a bunch of money, so they know what they're doing. In everything.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    way to compare hardware vs software....the display has what exactly to do with the OS? and the battery falls under this too? (i work out of a truck ALL day, my phone is plugged in ALL day, the battery life has ZERO factor for me)
    I though this thread was about hardware? I must be confused with all the spec posting of the pre 2 , nexus s hardware in the OP

Its not just about you when it comes to battery life not all of us like to keep our "wireless" phones plugged in all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And yet most people still seem to be keenly aware of the battery life limitations of their smartphones. Crazy world outside of yours isn't it?
    I'm not going to stand up and say how great the battery is, because it isn't. There are ways to deal with it. Go look at the thread "get to know your PC cohorts.... What do you do?" the majority there either work in an office, work at home, work in front of a computer" all have electrical outlets and/or USB ports. There's other options too, you could go get a bigger battery, and you could go get another phone. People that don't want to help themselves and find their own solution, well,
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    (I'm a power user with touchstones littered throughout my house and in the office). .
    That definitely makes you a power user in any case...
    That definitely makes you a power user in any case...
    Sorry, serious question: were you being sarcastic?

Just to clarify, I didn't mean having a dozen touchstones made me a power user; just that I am a power user so I NEED access to charging wherever I am. The pathetic battery that came with the Pre doesn't stand a chance with me, but unfortunately I'm not interested in getting one of the fat extended batteries. So instead I have a touchstone in every room, at the office, in the car....
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Sorry, serious question: were you being sarcastic?

Just to clarify, I didn't mean having a dozen touchstones made me a power user; just that I am a power user so I NEED access to charging wherever I am. The pathetic battery that came with the Pre doesn't stand a chance with me, but unfortunately I'm not interested in getting one of the fat extended batteries. So instead I have a touchstone in every room, at the office, in the car....
    And each one plugged in constantly draws power thereby making you a.......

Get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And each one plugged in constantly draws power thereby making you a.......

Get it?
    Electricity waster?

I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm not the brightest today and I don't get it. If you're feeling generous, I'd love a hint.

EDIT: oh crap...a "power user" Clever. Yea, so I'm a little slow today. (And there just has to be a Nexus S advertisement banner here at PreCentral.. Thanks guys!
    I agree, Nexus S looks really good. REALLY hope its coming to Sprint. Also Google Maps 5 looks awesome as well.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    It certainly got my attention.

I love WebOS for its ease of use and for its "We make the hardware and software" so that I won't get left out of an update (in theory).

But if Palm doesn't start talking at CES I'll be really dissapointed and will probably give android serious consideration. Or if Verizon gets the iPhone...*sigh* don't make me consider it Palm.
    Well Nexus line is basically google making the hardware and software and you'll get updates when they are released by google. Thats the big draw. Also being its fully unlocked if someone really did like Sense more than stock google (like myself) its proven very easy to get custom roms for it.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hopefully, at some point, HP Palm will wake up and realize how woefully they bungle the flow of information to consumers/customers.

When Andy Rubin appears for an engagement, he brings not only news of the future, but tangible product to get people excited. When Jon Rubinstein does, he brings pleas to be patient and talks vaguely of roadmaps and connected devices and such.

Whatever HP Palm thinks it's gaining with this veil of secrecy, it's losing far more. Google and RIM aren't out here demoing their pre-beta tablets because they like to. They're doing it because even the market leaders can't afford to clamp shut on future devices while the rest of the market keeps moving. Apparently, HP has decided that they can.
    Nail...say hello to hammer! 100% agree. I love webOS and I'm pretty sure HP will release some impressive devices "within the next few months" but as the days go by I lose more and more patience with HP. I understand that integrating Palm and getting consumers the true benefits of the buyout takes time, but releasing a 5 month old product isn't the way to tide us over. Give us some news of the "hot" new items in the pipeline - its not like they have to show off all of the hardware features - even a blurry shot a sweet looking tablet or slab is worth something.

HP need to realize that while they're keeping secrets, the competition is constantly releasing tid bits of new info and or even full updates, which will only make it that much more difficult to attract attention when HP/Palm's new devices come out. Take a page from Apple...control "leaks" of info to generate some desire for new products, not hide in the basement promising great new devices sometime in the next few months.

I'm still not to the point of switching but the Nexus S is making it a much more difficult decision. For me, Android are getting very very close to having a UI, sans gesture area, I can live with.
    Last edited by solarus; 12/07/2010 at 11:48 AM.
    The biggest draw for me is the fact that for the next year all android updates will be first on this phone. Otherwise, I am more interested in LG star or Motorolla olympus with nvidia tegra 2 which should be honeycomb upgradeable on the strength of the processor alone. I just dislike all these carriers customizing the OS and making it slow.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast