Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Google's new voice search:

You can actually say, "Send a text to Mike. Hey, Mike, let's meet at Nobu Restaurant," and it'll actually open the text messaging app and prefill the "to" and "message" fields! (It also does gps, directions and more)
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Hmm. If the voice translation is as good as Google Voice transcription, there are going to be some confused message recipients.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Hmm. If the voice translation is as good as Google Voice transcription, there are going to be some confused message recipients.
    Haha.. Agreed
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    That's like saying texting is obsolete because you can just call someone and talk to them. Voice action is a good option to have but other than driving, it's better to keep your phone commands private by typing them. It would be best to have both, of course.
    "Send a text to price. Hey, price, jets meet at no boo rest taunt"
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    That's like saying texting is obsolete because you can just call someone and talk to them. Voice action is a good option to have but other than driving, it's better to keep your phone commands private by typing them. It would be best to have both, of course.
    I agree but WebOS currently has no capabilities for this, whereas google can easily enable the typing stuff for android quite easily.
    My centro did that. Not as good and elaborate as that. But it still did it.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I agree but WebOS currently has no capabilities for this, whereas google can easily enable the typing stuff for android quite easily.
    That's a separate point from the thread title and whether 'google can easily enable the typing stuff' is just speculation on your part. I understand it looks obvious but programming is not always obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    so the marketing spin is that Google has streamlined the users ability to look like an ***** by sending garbled messages to unintended recipients.

Palm expects to offer a similar feature in "the coming months"
  10.    #10  
    I've used their voice search on Android 2.2 and it's actually very accurate. Granted I never tried to speak an entire message but even my google voice is 95% accurate when people speak clearly. (I have a few friends who mumble and it has a lot of trouble with them)
    Google is showing that the Voice Actions, released last summer, will work on the Nexus S as well.

Many argue that Vlingo is actually dramatically better especially when navigating. It has been out for nearly a year and gets better every month.

Just Type has been available since 2008 in iOS and Android. Android also excels at allowing you to specify exactly what apps and content you wanted to include.

In an office environment or a meeting these are great features. Still people talk many times faster than they type.

Also, how do you reply to a text or email when you are driving? In most states, typing is illegal.

2009 was the big advance in Speech to Text. More commands were added and the accuracy jumped. Android and Apple led the charge. Voice Dialing was the big thing. Apple had a host of commercials featuring iOS 3.0 voice commands in the summer of 2009.

The summer of 2010 was when Voice Actions came out as shown in this video. The commands were expanded again and the accuracy jumped up again. Now you can pretty much just speak normally and it will get it.

Today BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android all are great at Just Type but where they excel is that you can talk as well. They are all miles past Naturally Speaking and the others from a couple years ago.

Check out the AT&T BlackBerry Torch - Moby **** Commercial from last summer to see what even BlackBerry can do.

Just Type was a big deal in 2008 and Palm is doing a good job to bring us those features. Until Palm will open the Mic API, mums the word.

For more see: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/08/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I've used their voice search on Android 2.2 and it's actually very accurate. Granted I never tried to speak an entire message but even my google voice is 95% accurate when people speak clearly. (I have a few friends who mumble and it has a lot of trouble with them)
    I've only ever had one google voice transcript that has been usable.

We even tested it out for actual dictation, speaking clearly and such, and it still failed hard.

I'd also like to note, Dragon Dictation, great transcribing app as long as you have a data connection. Wish the mic APIs were open and there was interest in porting the app.
    I would never and didnt use it at all with my android phone. It was cool to mess around with the first week and show friends but thats all it was. The whole point in txting is that I am not talking and it picks up **** other people say in the background so it made some funny txts.
    Works dandy, especially in the car, but I can't say that it makes QuickActions obscure, per se. Both are nice features, but only one is widely available.
    Google voice transcript and Google voice recognition are two very very different things.

One is horrible, one is excellent.
    meh, "look what we can do"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Works dandy, especially in the car, but I can't say that it makes QuickActions obscure, per se. Both are nice features, but only one is widely available.
    Vlingo is arguably better than Voice Actions and is available for Android 2.1 and up. 83% of all Android phones can have Vlingo for free.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/08/2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    "Send a text to price. Hey, price, jets meet at no boo rest taunt"
    LMAO!! My Droid friends no longer use voice commands around me because they can't stand the ridicule.
    I used voice search EVERYTIME i'm using google navigation.

Its so much easier just saying "Navigate to ......" then opening the app, typing it in without misspellings (since no auto correct in apps like that) and select navigate to.

And everytime someone is aruond me when i do it, they are impressed.

I have a feeling a lot of people here think you have to shout and talk like a robot when i talk with my normal voice. Of course i wouldn't use it if i was some where where it would be awkward to issue voice commands, but its a feature i use often and have zero complaints about.
    Google is recording everyone's voices to use on the upcoming robotic army that will destroy the world.

Maybe you'll be torn to bits by an Android with your neighbors voice!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast