Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    How is it "cheesy"? How is something that makes using your phone easier and faster, cheesy?
    A feature becomes "cheesy" when it's not on your OS of choice. You will see this phenomenon on various forums. It's called jealousy. You will also see "I don't use it/need it so it's of no value". These self-indulgent people seem to think their experience is indicative of everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    "Send a text to price. Hey, price, jets meet at no boo rest taunt"
    lmao hey now thats madd funny lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    A feature becomes "cheesy" when it's not on your OS of choice. You will see this phenomenon on various forums. It's called jealousy. You will also see "I don't use it/need it so it's of no value". These self-indulgent people seem to think their experience is indicative of everyone.
    theres velveta involed
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Android has three Universal Search tools:
    • Search (Just Type)
    • Voice Search
    • Voice Actions

I added some screenshots showing exactly how Android Search works when you just type: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions

Here is an Android just type example. Say you want to play "The Eagles". Tap Search and start typing "Eagles". As you type it starts guessing what you want on your phone or Internet.

Tap the blue Google button to narrow your search. To see only music, tap Music (highlighted in orange below). It already shows The Eagles and guessed at similar music as well. Tap something to play it.

Just Type will help Palm catch up to how everyone has done text searches and text commands for some time now.

At some point I am sure that Palm will listen to users as well.

- Craig
    That's text search, not the same as a Quick Action. Even google has voice actions and voice search because they're different. Opening up a file you searched for is a Universal Search feature, not a Quick Action. Again, see Dan's video. You can't do his app's 'resume' command with only search. Nor would posting to Twitter make sense as a search.

Just Type = Universal Search + Quick Actions. Both from the OS level and both started by Palm, iirc. People even use the term 'Universal Search' generically like in the new Playbook video.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    That's text search, not the same as a Quick Action. Even google has voice actions and voice search because they're different. Opening up a file you searched for is a Universal Search feature, not a Quick Action. Again, see Dan's video. You can't do his app's 'resume' command with only search. Nor would posting to Twitter make sense as a search.

Just Type = Universal Search + Quick Actions. Both from the OS level and both started by Palm, iirc. People even use the term 'Universal Search' generically like in the new Playbook video.
    Bingo.

Milo, you're a mod and all but your wrong on Androids capabilities on this one. Universal Search != Just Type Quick Actions. Just look at all the additional "taps" just to play the song. Quick actions will allow immediate play from first response. And iOS, you must be talking about a jailbreak because stock iOS for only has Voice Commands, not Just Type Quick Actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Bingo.

Milo, you're a mod and all but your wrong on Androids capabilities on this one. Universal Search != Just Type Quick Actions. Just look at all the additional "taps" just to play the song. Quick actions will allow immediate play from first response. And iOS, you must be talking about a jailbreak because stock iOS for only has Voice Commands, not Just Type Quick Actions.
    Everyone who is testing Just Type on a Pre or Pre Plus is under an NDA and can't talk about it. With Voice Actions you can long-press Search and just say things like this:
    - • text Bill Byrne let's meet at 6 o'clock on fifth avenue outside the guggenheim museum
    - • listen to Jimmy Buffet
    - • call John Chase at home
    - • email Ted McKee Confirming our meeting with John at 1 PM
    - • note to self Find paperwork for John
    - • navigate to Olive Garden in [town]
    - • go to wikipedia

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/15/2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Speaking of voice search...just got even more awesome:

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ce-recognition
    Voice search on Android is pretty good. And it's about to get better. Google's updated the app and given us the option for personalized recognition. The premise is simple: Voice Search remembers words that you search for (and the sound of your voice doing so) and associates them with your Google account. It's an opt-in service, so it's not automatically recording your voice without your knowledge. You'll get the option to turn on personalized recognition when you first fire up voice search. And from there on out, it's all transparent. The goal? To understand you better and make searches faster and more accurate.

The update and personalized recognition are only available on Android 2.2 and up, and for English in the U.S. Google says it plans on supporting other nations and languages in the future. You can update in the market, and we've got download links after the break. [Google Mobile Blog]
    I thought 'Just Type' was intended not just as a search, but also as a method of quickly posting to social media (Twitter or Facebook), sending a text message or even starting an email or a running a command within an app. The Android example above appears to just be a search similar to the Google Desktop app for PCs.
    Android has three Universal Search tools:
    Search (Just Type)
    Voice Search
    Voice Actions

I added some screenshots showing exactly how Android Search works when you just type: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions

Here is an Android just type example. Say you want to play "The Eagles". Tap Search and start typing "Eagles". As you type it starts guessing what you want on your phone or Internet.

Tap the blue Google button to narrow your search. To see only music, tap Music (highlighted in orange below). It already shows The Eagles and guessed at similar music as well. Tap something to play it.

Just Type will help Palm catch up to how everyone has done text searches and text commands for some time now.

At some point I am sure that Palm will listen to users as well.

- Craig
    I like your posts. you should get an award for best looking posts. you use bullet points and strategically place pictures. It's like a powerpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Google's new voice search:

You can actually say, "Send a text to Mike. Hey, Mike, let's meet at Nobu Restaurant," and it'll actually open the text messaging app and prefill the "to" and "message" fields! (It also does gps, directions and more)
    Didn't really work that well when I had my Droid Incredible.

I tried both Vlingo and the standard Google voice commands. They kind of sucked.

Sucked in that, instead of making it easier to respond to messages while driving, it made it insanely difficult.

"You're gonna be the only girl. It'll end up being a sausage fest" (bear with me, this is an actual example) became, "Your gonna and be the only girl. Et al end up bring a shortage feast."

I remember this because I tried a number of times to get the phone to understand what I was saying, with more and more hilarious results. I ended up sending a few to a friend of mine.

Dragon Dictation on the iPhone, however, works remarkably. It didn't let you give the phone commands, but it did know how to translate words in to text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
    Didn't really work that well when I had my Droid Incredible...
    I am going to bet that was at least a couple of months ago? Did you have Android 2.2?

In Android time, that was 10 years ago. Vlingo and Voice Search have new releases almost every month. Both now learn the corrections that you make and get better and better. It takes a day or so to "train" them but then it is just stunning. I watched a YoutTube video of Voice Search from last July and it was funny to remember how things had been.

I write entire detailed emails and posts with hardly any actual typing now. They have now passed up Naturally Speaking. Both are beta testing new versions that blow away the current versions.

But speech recognition is only a small part of it. It is an explosion of technology right now. For each annual phone upgrade, you move up a full generation. Look at the screen resolution:

• 2008: MPEG-1, low SD (352x240)
    • 2009: MPEG-2, high SD (352x480)
    • 2010: 480p DVD resolution (720x480)
    • 2011: Gingerbread 720p (1280x720)

I have no idea what Ice Cream will bring late next year. 720p is pushing the limits of what the human eye can perceive on a 4-5" screen. Then comes the "J" release, maybe Jam? I like jam...

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/17/2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I like your posts. you should get an award for best looking posts. you use bullet points and strategically place pictures. It's like a powerpoint.
    Thank you.

I cheat. It is just content I have already done for the Getting Started with Android Guide or the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. Just like much of what I post about the Pre is from the Pre guides (links below).

• To do a bullet like that just press <Alt> 7

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/17/2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I wanted to develop a Speech to Text SMS message app like the title of the thread, then have the same app read it out loud on the receiver's phone.

I thought it had a great future, then I realized someone beat me to it. It's called a "Phone Call"...

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    I am going to bet that was at least a couple of months ago? Did you have Android 2.2?

In Android time, that was 10 years ago. Vlingo and Voice Search have new releases almost every month. Both now learn the corrections that you make and get better and better. It takes a day or so to "train" them but then it is just stunning. I watched a YoutTube video of Voice Search from last July and it was funny to remember how things had been.

I write entire detailed emails and posts with hardly any actual typing now. They have now passed up Naturally Speaking. Both are beta testing new versions that blow away the current versions.

But speech recognition is only a small part of it. It is an explosion of technology right now. For each annual phone upgrade, you move up a full generation. Look at the screen resolution:

2008: MPEG-1, low SD (352x240)
    2009: MPEG-2, high SD (352x480)
    2010: 480p DVD resolution (720x480)
    2011: Gingerbread 720p (1280x720)

I have no idea what Ice Cream will bring late next year. 720p is pushing the limits of what the human eye can perceive on a 4-5" screen. Then comes the "J" release, maybe Jam? I like jam...

- Craig
    As soon as I got it up updated it to 2.2.

This wasn't a "you're just doing it wrong, and I'm doing it right" problem. The voice recognition on both was horrible -- it didn't matter where I was or what I was saying.

Nice attempt at saving face for Android, though.
    But I will agree with you about how explosively fast technology is beginning to advance. The first phone to use the Snapdragon processor (Google Nexus) came out less than a year ago, and now we're close to dual core processor technology from nVidia. With Intel coming in to things soon, processor speed (and by extension, phone capability) is set to move even faster.

It's exciting, really.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I hope HP can either work something out with Google while they develop their own technology, or have something already by WebOS 3.0 because no matter what some of you may think, voice search is seriously useful and it's pretty damn good too.

I love using it for getting Google Maps directions.. Way easier than typing it out everytime.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    The more I think about it the more I become convinced that there is no way HP can keep up with how fast the technology is moving in smartphones.

MS, Google, and Apple are working hard at improving Voice recognition, the same goes with Maps and Navigation.

The best HP can do is coat-tail on one of the technologies once they become common place on smartphones.

I took it as an omen when I read that pre HP merger, Palm "didn't expect how fast the smartphone market moved" and from the looks of it, HP/Palm still do not realize how fast it's moving.

Hp/Palm may be happy being a third tier smartphone but I'm not!
    Thank you.

I cheat. It is just content I have already done for the Getting Started with Android Guide or the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. Just like much of what I post about the Pre is from the Pre guides (links below).

To do a bullet like that just press <Alt> 7

- Craig
    I just hit the buttons up above for stuff then hit preview until it looks halfway decent. but sometimes it takes like 5 times to get imbedded stuff right. lol.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123